1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

anyone familiar with automotive body repair?

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by WX4GPS, May 2, 2012.

1. WX4GPS

WX4GPS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    As you may know, my Prius c was hit twice by a hydroplaning toyota corolla. The ABS malfunction indicator came on, and I had damage to the side driver door and rear bumper. After 11 days, I went to ice up the car, and the rear bumper was a few shades darker then the rest of the car that they did not paint, and the ABs light was still on. I did not accept the repair, and they vowed to fix it.

The guy told me they would sand the bumper and repaint it, and they would said they had put a new ABS module in and they had to reset it now twice, and they thought the light was out.

The insurance company called me and said they only authorized the paint shop to blend the bumper to get it to match, not to repaint it, so I'm very worried its still not going to match, I don't know what this whole blending process is all about... anyone fill me in. And then they also said they sent the car over to toyota repair shop (the service department at the dealer next door) and they hooked up there scanner and they told me it just had to be reset again, cause they have a better scanner.

Again, why do I feel this is a bunch of BS? Anyone know anything about these processes. I may be able to pick the car back up on Thursday, but Im really worried this ABS light is going to come on, just like a check engine light comes on after a drive cycle.... this is all suppose to come with a lifetime warranty of their repairs, Im just feel that Ive already gotten the bad end of this accident because I can't get any diminishment of value from the accident cause they don't pay out for that. and now I'm having concerns with the quality of the work...

Part of me says I should just trade it in and get another one, but I will loose once again. so probably not the best option. any insight on paint repair and matching, I have the metallic blue, is it that hard to for paint shop to match up. am I wrong for complaining that it was off a few shades?

2. Redcap32

Redcap32 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Metallics are hard to match. They may match the paint to the paint code but the colors out of the factory with vary slightly with each drum of paint and from the first batch from the drum down to the last. I know a high end body shop in the area that has 8 diffrent shades of silver that goes on this guys BMW, you could never tell looking at the car till you actualy take a sample from one area and look at it on another area. The guys wife is a bad driver and they have too much money. My family had the same problem with our '99 camry which I got rear ended in the paint did not match the color of the car but did match the paint code, it was a metallic champange color.

3. WX4GPS

WX4GPS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah its just frustrating, cause when I was looking at it under the daylight and following the front door panel to the rear door panel to the back panel, and as soon as the seem where the bumper started it was a different color. I watched some blending videos on the internet and I feel a little better at what they may be doing, but I fear they are now going to repaint the good door to make it blend better, which Im gonna be looking for, and not sure if I will be happy with. But I appreciate your input. They have not called me yet today to say it was ready.

4. donny612

donny612 "Captain Jack Sparrow"

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know...I've had areas on cars repaired before and if the paint guy is any good, they do a real good job of "blending" the new color with the existing color. If the right guy does the job you'll never see any difference in color from the original to the repair.

5. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I find it strange that blending is necessary, if you had walked into a paint shop with no insurance involved... they would quote you for a job that would be the whole panel or door or bumper being painted, usually 250$ per panel, they paint a fender or a door, not a section of it, just sayin

6. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Most shops can't match paint. They go by a formula for the paint code and every paint batch needs to be "tweaked" to get it to match the original hue exactly. It takes a painter with a very good/trained eye to be able to know what to add to get the desired results. There are very few of them that actually possess this skill/art. With metallics, the job becomes even more complicated due to how the light hits the metallic flakes under different light angles in addition to the paint pigment.

Don't want to be a downer, but I have never been satisfied with any panel that has been repainted, though I am very picky due to my years spent working in a paint shop during high school/college. Watch out for blend jobs... they usually expand the painted sections so when you go back and look at the car, you will usually look only at the panel that was damaged when they in fact painted the adjacent panels so you will think the repaired panel matches the surrounding paint.

If you're not satisfied with the job, don't accept it and have a talk with your insurance about possibly using a more competent paint shop/repair facility.

GL... accidents are a real PITA to deal with.

7. cpfans4

cpfans4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A good body shop will blend all paint jobs as it is a way to gradually go from factory finish to the repaired section. A gradual diffenence is harder to recognize and wont stick out like a sore thumb. Especially in an older car where the sun has faded the paint. Mixing a paint to match should be much easier now with laser color analyzers but perfection is still evasive. One thing to look for in your repair is orange peel effect where you see bumps or ridges in the finish. Most bodyshops only apply 1 or 2 coats of base and hardly ever do any sanding between coats as this would be to costly. Toyota has a better finish than Dodge or Gm and less orange peel effect so make sure the finish texture looks similar to the rest of the car and don't compare to a panel next to the repair if it is a fender look at the opposite fender any differences could reduce the trade in value or even be a deduction of value in event of an insurance total loss.