1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone found a good looking dash mat for your 2010?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by radiocycle, Jul 6, 2009.

1. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I can't seem to find anything on the web, has anyone got any recommendations for a decent dashboard mat?

tnx

2. MMSteve

MMSteve New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dash mats aren't a factory option?

3. Azimuth

Azimuth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1

4. CAR4TWO

CAR4TWO New Member

Model:
    III
    Any good upholstery shop can make you one in less than an hour. Many upholstery shops are pretty reasonable when it comes to price too. Most dealers already know who does the best work in your area. Plus, you get to pick the color and material.

2 people like this.
  5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    **Moved to Modifications Forum**

I had a DashMat branded cover in my 2004, holding out for a 2010 version that won't cover the front speakers or HVAC solar gain sensor.

6. azddavero

azddavero New Member

Although they don't appear to be available for the 2010 yet, DashDesigns.com makes a very nice one. I have the velour model in my '04 and really like it.

Dave

2 people like this.
  7. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Dave, did you 'stick' it down? I bought the carpet one (dealer says it lasts longer than the velour one) but it never lays quite flat unliess I stick it down and I hate to do that because it will leave glue remnants behind.

8. azddavero

azddavero New Member

EZW1,

Yes, it there is some sort of adhesive which holds it in place. I can't give you specifics, since the delaer installed it (free of charge). One advantage of living about 5 miles from them. I didn't like the look of the carpet type material so I went with the velour.

Your do have a vaild concern about the adhesive. I just figured if I ever wanted to remove the mat it shouldn't be too hard to clean up after. In the AZ heat I'm sure glad I have one though.

Dave

9. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I can say that in the past, there were sticky velcro tabs you placed onto the dash. They don't stay very long in the heat (glue softens up too easily), but if the dash mat is reasonably stretched, it's not an issue. The biggest problem I had in the Gen II was getting the solar gain sensor to be visible through openings (I recut it more than once). If covered, the A/C system doesn't compensate for the sun beating down on the passengers.

10. yadax3

yadax3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Why does anyone still use dash mats? I thought they were to keep the dash from splitting due to extreme heat but I haven't heard of anyone having that problem for a couple of decades. Does it still exist?

11. jayvee

jayvee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The one thing I don't like about my Gen III is the dash. I hate the "textured" finish and the jet black that shows every spec of dust and fiber. A mat would make that all go away. I too have had DashMat branded mats (when i lived in CA) and I liked them. Dash mats in general are a bit out of popularity now, though, I'll admit. Maybe they are still popular in CA and southern states, due to the heat. Don't know....

In general, I think the Gen III's interior, while an improvement over the Gen II, especially in design and aesthetics, still looks and feels "cheap", from a materials standpoint. I like the foam-lined ("squishy") dash materials of more expensive (and non-hybrid) cars. But I know they were trying to reduce weight wherever they could, and those padded dashboards weigh a lot. Guess you can't have it all.

12. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They're not popular in the San Diego/O.C. area (at least not in the middle/upper income areas)...I never even heard of them until I saw them mentioned on PC. Also, there's a parallel thread going on here:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...111-dash-board-cover-2010-prius-new-post.html