1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone get TSB EL002-05 (MFD) for free out of basic warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mikepaul, Jun 19, 2006.

1. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Damn, I find TSB EL002-05 in the TSB index and it reads like you have to have your MFD fail in under 36,000 miles to have it repaired for free.

If they know the darn things are weak, why limit the coverage?

Now that I've had it happen, has anyone with over 36,000 been successful in getting it repaired for free?

If not, how much do they intend to charge?...

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    tsb's are covered by warranty only. recalls are the only things that are unconditionally repaired for free.

just how far out of the 36k are you?

if you're close you can probably push them into covering it- but if you're way past they have an out-of-warranty exchange program where the refurbished mfd costs like $400.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A handful have reported success at getting a free MFD replacement out of warranty. Most have gone the call Cust. support and make a vocal complaint route emphesising that this is a part that is not wear or time dependent and that you're aware of the TSB and feel it was inappropriate for them not to correct what they new to be a defective product.

Failing that, as Gal mentioned, you shouldn't have to pay more than $400 for a refurbished replacement.

4. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK, since it just started this afternoon (was fine at noon) and sorta cleared up for a moment on the way home then failed again, I'll have to go through the check for loose wiring I saw on the TSB before I have to argue it's an outrage and whatever. After almost 48,000 miles maybe something came loose.

I call it in tomorrow and see what happens. An hour's time charged to reattach the wire(s) would be nice, but if I sacrifice buying new guts for my 733Mhz computer I can afford worse...

I'll be there early tomorrow (6/21) to have it looked at. I found one post where Toyota made a 'Goodwill' gesture by covering it out of warranty, so if I stress the why-the-new-part-number-if-the-old-part-wasn't-defective to the Service Manager without wrecking his goodwill, I might still get to upgrade my computer...

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Nearly $86 to tell me the display is bad.

Then we talked about 'goodwill', and how it comes from bringing the car in to the dealer for all recomended service. Which, since I find oil change and rotation for $15 much better than $49 and I change my own air filter every 20,000 miles and such, I'm beginning to doubt much goodwill will come my way. To help 'goodwill', I'll have to ask my oil change place if they have a service record. Didn't keep either receipt for the air filters. Not sure a receipt came with the cabin filter off the Internet.

Looking back at things I could have done, I see several hundred dollars in extra maintenance costs and around $900 for an extended warranty I passed on two years running while enough money was handy. While neither seemed like a good idea at the time, I sure do plan on doing something different next time around.

I really wish it was my goodwill that mattered here. Buy a car, only spend the minimum on stuff like oil changes and not need to pay extra so they'll think kindly of me when trouble comes. And when the trouble comes from a part that they needed to 'revise' so that it wouldn't malfuntion that way anymore, they should apologize...

Oh, on the Good News front, I won a $100 gift certificate to a tool store on the way home last night when I called in. Bluetooth doesn't work without the display, but I think using the phone manually helped the DJ understand me...

6. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Got a call from the Service Guy today. I'm getting 100% warraty coverage. Current estimate for part arrival is next week.

MY goodwill has gone up quite a bit. Everyone should buy Toyotas!...

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Jun 22 2006, 10:58 AM) [snapback]275268[/snapback]</div>
    Good job, your story is the same I'd heard from the others...initial resistance then ultimately Toyota gave in...I think they know this is a flawed part and it certainly isn't something that should just 'wear out'.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  9. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I really want that part to show up soon.

Now when I'm driving along, sometimes the display 'shorts' back into life but knocks out the radio. I did have both working one time, but then the volume was frozen. Perhaps the one-time-only volume freeze experienced way back had something to do with the display problem.

It was nice to see 49.8MPG this morning when it worked for a moment. 206 mile trip yesterday loaded with my mom's stuff was at least efficient...

10. wcpearson

wcpearson Junior Member

I'm having my MFD replaced today (2004) after experiencing the same symptoms of slow response, varying levels of functionality, and radio repeatedly disabled as things change and gradually come back. Since it has taken 25K miles in my case and more in others, can we be confident that the replaced units - or refurbished parts - are going to be good for the long term?

11. cahaverl

cahaverl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, here I go. My 2004 MFD started flaking out on Monday. Fortunately, the car drives fine :^). I'm experiencing inability to control the radio, switch modes, climate control unreachable, no info display, no temperature, and "Remote unit not responding" for navigation. Wish me luck with my dealer (Piercey, San Jose, CA), as I'm at approximately 51,000 miles.

12. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    New/different MFD installed. All seems well. With the updated part comes the auto-toggle between Consumption and Energy just by pushing the Info button.

The velcro to hold my hood shade went with the old unit. I'll have to look in Wal-Mart for some more.

Not sure: would ALL units, new and refurbished, come with plastic stuck to the display that needed to be pulled off? I'd like to think the display is all shiny and new and that it'll last longer that way...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wcpearson @ Jun 29 2006, 12:21 PM) [snapback]278622[/snapback]</div>
    The TSB did blame the original part as needing to be 'revised', so one has to hope one has a well-revised part for the long-run. Fingers now crossed...