1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone had coolant heat storage water pump replaced twice?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JayGoldstein, Mar 26, 2010.

1. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In Nov., 2007 @ 31,000 km, my Prius' original coolant heat storage water pump was replaced because it had the symptoms described in TS-B-0087-08.

Now, @ 71,000 km, the replacement pump is making the same "abnormal" noises that the defective one made when starting at low temperatures.:(

Has anyone else had a replacement pump fail?

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Did you confirm that your second pump was the newer 16290-21011 vs the older 16290-21010 pump model?

JeffD

Tommerdoo likes this.
  3. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you put your finger on the problem. The work order shows that the replacement pump was the older one (16290-21010).:( When I bring the car in, I'll make sure that the newer pump is the one that is ordered.

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    At this point the older model pump should be hard to find. :)

JeffD

5. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Follow up: I recently sent an email to the service department at my dealership (Funk's Toyota in Steinbach, Manitoba) to let them know that the replacement pump is making the same kind of noise that original pump made. I attached a copy of the US bulletin (T-SB-0087-08), and noted that a newer version of the pump is now available.

I got a reply the next day asking me if I wanted them to order the new pump. I said "yes," and asked if I would have to cover the cost of the replacement. Their reply was that the pump is covered by the 5 yr./100,000km warranty, so it won't cost me a thing.:dance:

There have been several postings about the frustrating experiences people have had trying to get their dealer to authorize replacing a noisy pump. I thought it would be worthwhile to describe how efficiently (and pleasantly) my dealer handled this matter.

6. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It is always good to hear when the dealer does it right. Thanks for the input. :cheer2: