1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone had 'success' using buying services?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by scirocco, Feb 2, 2006.

1. scirocco

scirocco New Member

I'm wondering if anyone out there has completed a Prius purchase using a buying service thru Costco or USAA, etc, and how that turned out for them. MSRP or below? Minimal hassle? Especially if you have used it in the greater Seattle area. I have searched the forums for USAA and Costco and only seem to get references to financing or purchasing floor mats...

2. glenk

glenk Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought through Costco. It provided another dealer contact to get on the shortest waiting list.

My offer was MSRP - $100 and some good advantage, no cash deposit required.

Another person I know that lives in a different city near by got a Costco deal for MSRP - $350! I was pissed but I wasn't going to give up my time on the waiting list for $250.

No hassles buying the car. Just the usual sales pressure to buy the maintenance and extended warranty plans, life time wax job, etc.

3. ajdemma

ajdemma New Member

I tried to use USAA but they told me they had no negotiating power on this. They basically said (at the time) everyone is selling at MSRP, so go ask for that. Of course, that was the week before the hurricanes and gas went ballistic, so their advice wasn't so hot either.

4. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

I had much the experience as others; Prius in such demand, there is no incentive or reason for them to discount. I was told no discount from nearest Sam's and Cotsco dealers. Can't say I blame them... they'll sell it no matter what

5. K5VMI

K5VMI New Member

I also contacted the USAA buying service. They told me there they had no leverage but contacted the dealership anyway. This greased the skids for a preference order that arrived in about three weeks and $750 off MSRP. Overall, an excellent experience.

6. sunnysandiegan

sunnysandiegan New Member

I had read about a Costco discount on this forum, so I called them up. The only dealer in my area that honored the Costco discount/process of the Prius in my area was the crappiest dealer around. I wasn't too thrilled to begin with. LOL Somehow I managed to get the guy to tell me over the phone without going in (normal procedure) that the Costco discount would save me $100. This place had not even seen their first shipment of '06s yet and I had already test drove one at a different dealer. This place did not do deposits (at that time) nor did they have a formal waiting list. All in all that $100 off meant absolutely nothing to me and, in this case, almost seemed like a premium! :p

7. stealthgirl

stealthgirl New Member

I got a Costco discount of 350 off MSRP. I called every dealer in my area (San Jose) and found two who offered this discount.

8. John in Portland

John in Portland New Member

I used a local auto broker (in Portland Oregon) and received $500 off MSRP. It was the most positive car buying experience I have ever had, and I didn't have to deal with any of the sleaziness, tricks or gimmicks that the dealers always seem to love to pull on you.

It's not clear which location you are in, but I'm sure that one or more brokers cover your area. Check your yellow pages, call them and ask what kind of discount they can give you on exactly which model you want and what availability they can offer. Don't forget to check their references also.

Good luck and hope you find the car of your dreams soon.

9. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got mine thru Carsdirect.com. I spent about 1 month dealing with local dealers with no joy, waiting lists, etc. Carsdirect found one the same day I registered. I paid MSRP, and the dealer was 50 miles away, and my 3rd choice color, but correct option package, so I'm pretty happy. That was 4 weeks ago, LA area. You might check them out. Dealer was no hassle, about 1 1/2 hours from test drive, to out the door.

I did try Costco, and the dealer referral was a dealer that I've had bad luck with in the past, so I didn't even find out what the discount would have been.

10. og1600

og1600 Junior Member

I tried Costco. The dealer said no discount and 8 month waiting list.