1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone has expereince in using aftermarket KYB Strut-Plus

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by shan k, Jun 21, 2020.

1. shan k

shan k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi PC folks
    I have 2006 Prius with 120k miles. I am planing to replace front suspension as I feel like very firm suspension in bumpy roads though there is no noise or sound (except little noise from rubber bushings which is normal I feel). I also tried to perform bounce test at the front to check if the body goes down and up. But it did not move down. It almost stays in same position without any movement. Rear side is just fine. I was able to push it down and it bounced back up. So here I am concerned about the front side suspension system not functioning properly. Prior to this I had the suspension system inspected at different repair shops and they did not find any issue in it. There is no hydraulic leak what they found. Irrespective of that as a rider I feel very firm and rough driving experience unless the road is plain.

Per PC in other posts, I think I am already due replacing the suspension system. I definitely want to do it starting with front pair first. For parts, I have 2 choices.

1. OEM parts from dealer. In this case cost is high and I also have to assemble the individual pieces. I got an invoice of total $900 only for front suspension. Again I also have to assemble it before replacing which is another pain specially needing of spring compressor. See the attached invoice in pdf below.

2. Aftermarket KYB Strut Plus has the complete assembly and and is way cheaper than OEM from dealer.
    KYB SR4224(driver side), SR4223(passenger side) costs $310 total including tax, shipping.
    More details on carid web site search for KYB strut.

Anybody has installed aftermarket KYB Strut Plus complete assembly? Is it as good as OEM in terms of ride quality and comfort? Does it fit properly without any complications? Really appreciate your input and feedback on this. Thank you

Attached Files:

#1 shan k, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  2. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    KYB is often considered the best in the business, from what I've heard, and I believe may have manufactured the OEM struts? Either way, the price difference there is absolutely unjustifiable to go with OEM. I might not personally go for a KYB because I tend to look for cheaper but still acceptable options, but if you want top-of-the-line products, I would say there's nothing wrong with them. But check on RockAuto. For me, it comes up as $277.37 for the two assemblies with tax and shipping on RockAuto.You can also find a bunch of 5% off codes people have posted on coupon code websites, which you can put in the "How did you hear about us" box.

Gen2Prii likes this.
  3. shan k

shan k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for the reply. I did find cheaper price in RockAuto. Total coming out $286.09. Which brand Struts you have currently installed? Does your ride comfortable or do you feel jerks compared to OEM you had before?

4. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm still on the OEM struts. They probably should be changed at 240k, but they don't seem that bad.

5. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've purchased KYB struts for my Lexus ES300h, just bare struts tho... They ride fine, just as good as factory in my opinion..

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#5 ttou68, Jun 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  6. shan k

shan k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi ttou68, I appreciate your reply. Many times aftermarket struts fits well and outperform OEM depend on model of the car, but in some situations it goes worse. That is the reason why I want to know whether it performs well in Prius or not. Your feedback raised my confident level up with KYB struts. Thank you