1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone have a copy of the 2005 Navigation DVD?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jaguaraja, Nov 9, 2004.

1. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

The dealership is charging $300 for the new version. I think it should be provided free of charge or at an upgrade-like price.

The version we 04 owners have, is chock full of errors. I think Toyota should be obligated to provide a free copy.

I contacted Toyota Corp. to find out the Manufacturer of the DVD and they said it was internal information and could not be released.

If anyone has the 05 DVD, I would be most appreciative to get a copy. I have a DVD burner and can make copies if needed. I believe they are charging and unreasonable price and am looking to fellow owners for alternatives.

2. tag

tag Senior Member

I'm not sure we ever figured out whether the DVD is single or dual layer. Does anyone know for sure?

Further, will whatever player they stuck in the Prius be able to read a burned blank? I'm assuming the DVD that's in there is pressed.

3. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting first post asking another stranger here to become a co-conspirator in a crime. Unless you work for Toyota Legal Dept.?

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's dual layer. It's been confirmed. Has about 9.4 GB on it

5. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

cool, I have a sony dl burner. If anyone is willing to ebay a copy (or email me and we'll talk)

I am strongly disappointed at the price the dealership is charging.

My street is flipped with the next street in my dvd. I had to program my home address as on the other street for is to guide correctly. sucks. I've come across quite a few errors. I use the navigation system daily. I use the car to make deliveries.

I even caller toyota corp to complain and they said, there is nothing they can do, you have to buy it from the dealer. They wouldn't give a voucher. They also would not reveal the manufacturer that makes the dvd. At least I could email them with the mistakes. For all I know, my home street is still swapped on the newer disc. Toyota said they can't release the manufacturer's name because it's listed an internal information only. retarded.

I think we should provide all prius users free access to new dvd releases. The mean by which we can do this...I'm not sure. If anyone has the 05 Prius, please share you're thoughts.

I doubt this issue would have come up if the dvd was a more reasonable $100.

6. Arizona Charlie

Arizona Charlie New Member

I have not heard of the availability of an update disk for the Nav. system. If anyone here knows of one I would like to know the name of dealership that claims it is available and I am willing to contact the dealership to obtain the part number of the disk.

The update, if it exists, should be distributed and installed free of any cost to any Pri. owner who purchased package 9 which included the severely flawed Nav. system.

I would be interested to see replies from other Pri. owners who have had the experience of inaccurate directions given by their Nav. system.

Arizona Charlie

7. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Nav system is not built by Toyota - it's built by Denso. Bad mapping data is the responsibility of whoever they are buying their data from. If the unit was physically not working, it would be replaced. If it's just bad or incomplete nav data, then you're out of luck.

I'm sure that Toyota has to buy the Nav DVDs at a certain price from the supplier, then re-sell them to consumers. You aren't going to get it for free - it's just NOT going to happen.

Dave

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    $300 is a bit steep, $250 was the "going rate" a while back.

Dual Layer, and my disc is about 7.9GB worth of data last I checked. On the disc it clearly mentions Denso I believe.

Attached is a pic of mine when I had it out. As you can see, it's v 3.1, the maufacturer is Denso, and the map data is provided by Geographic Data Technology and in my case is copyrighted 2002 (no wonder it's so outdated).

9. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

i have a version 3.2 disc

10. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Wait a minute... if you have a DVD NAV Prius, why don't you take your own DVD out and try and clone it?

Maybe I'm wrong, but, you oughta see if it can even be done before asing someone to risk their DVD to you.

11. Brenna

Brenna Junior Member

Just wondering. Were we supposed to get a copy when we purchased the car?

I didn't.

Brenna

12. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

If you have the BC option package, meaning the Nav system is included, the drive for the DVD is under the driver's seat and the DVD is in there. There is no second copy, if that's what you're asking.

13. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The nav map data delivered with a 2005 is listed as version 4.01. I assume this would also be the version available on a CD from Toyota. I haven't been able to verify any v4.01 data other than for my local area. However, for my one block long dead-end street, where the highest house number is 2420, the nav system identified my house as 2497. BTW, a CD was not delivered with my car.

To err is human, to really screw up, you need a computer!

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to keep the uninitiated up to speed.

It is not a CD, it is a DVD, and it is a dual layer DVD so unless you have a dual layer DVD writer you can't copy it...no one, to my knowledge, has tried to copy one yet. I'd like to hear if someone is successful in doing so.

Those of you who think you didn't get a DVD with your car--if your NAV system functions then you got the Disk, it came pre-installed in the NAV DVD computer that is under the driver's seat. If you look in the NAV owner's manual it has clear instructions of how to scoot the seat forward, open the machine and eject the disk. I've never seen mine either, but I know it's there b/c the nav takes me [close to] where I want to go.

15. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

i have a dl burner. I'm gonna try a burn this weekend. Will keep you up to date. I hope it works, dl blank media is still expensive. It would suck if there was copy protection on the disk. Hopefully the never though of the navigation disc as 'pirateable'?

16. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

one thing i don't quite get is the cost of the disc. Street & Trips 2005 which I also own has the streets of every street in the US and it all fits on 1 CD. It has also been 100% accurate thus far. I'm sure there are a few errors, but I haven't run into them yet. I usually run streets & trips first to get an idea of where I'm going before I punch the address into the Prius.

I understand the Prius Nav disc gives all kinds of voice commands which I'm sure is why a dl dvd was needed.

The streets & trips disc (which also gives directions, poi, etc) was only $20 from microsoft. For some reason having voice output on the disc for the prius bumps the price up to $300? just wrong.

If my dl burn is successful, I'll be more than happy to burn a copy of a newer version (if someone could provide it to me) to everyone for free. Just cover me for the cost of the disc and shipping. I hate getting ripped off, and this is my offer to all of you. peace

17. tag

tag Senior Member

18. tag

tag Senior Member

There's a shopping mall not too far from my house that was completed 4 years ago (October, 2000)...........it shows up as nothing more than a huge vacant area.

19. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not to be the dissenting yet cautious voice of reason here, but folks need to remember that there is a big difference between making a backup copy and making copies to give/sell to 20 or 200 of your closest friends. Yes, even I am [strike:6b5bad835e]a little[/strike:6b5bad835e] peeved that they have the audacity to charge so much for a Nav DVD that cost them pennies to make, and maybe they're just begging for rampant piracy because of it, but that does not make the act of piracy any less illegal.

With the evolving technologies nowadays, it is becoming easier and easier to figure out both when and where pirated material was produced (although the prevailing method of investigation is still to just ask the person who received it). If whoever is making the loads of cash off this DVD becomes concerned about the issue and pursues it, they are almost sure to come up with at least a few cases that have enough evidence to take to court. Personally, I'd rather steer clear of that, knowing that my attorney will cost well over $300.

Now, concerning the numerous errors on the DVD itself, I am not at all surprised by it. I've worked with organizations who buy GIS data from various (unnamed) vendors. Many times the format of the data is inconsistent, sometimes the data is incomplete, and other times it's just plain wrong. Mistakes - even the really big ones we've all seen - are bound to show up in such a large compilation of data. It's true with any roadmap publication, be it in digital or paper format. They just don't have a standardized, consistent way of collecting and presenting the map data, partly because the information is constantly in flux (a new road, etc.). It seems to be getting better, but there is a long road ahead... or a short one... who knows!

I just have to learn to be smarter than the map, I guess, when it tries to send me on a "shortcut" that utilizes a city park sidewalk. :roll:

20. tag

tag Senior Member

Quite true and a point (hopefully) not lost on anyone who plans to replicate this material in mass quantities.