1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone have a functional Shark Fin Antenna?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by PriusGTRSpecVTypeR, Feb 9, 2006.

1. PriusGTRSpecVTypeR

PriusGTRSpecVTypeR New Member

Hi! I'm still new to the Prius scene, having switched over from a Civic recently :blink: ... :D

I've been hit by the mod bug recently (probably leftover from my Civic days) and started looking around, especially at the stuff from Sigma since they seem to be the largest parts place for us.

At Sigma I found their shark fins for $69 & $79: http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/FoliaTec/antenna.php

[Broken External Image]:http://img331.imageshack.us/img331/5567/jtlg3007vd.jpg

Has anyone tried one?

Alternately, I have recently come across this website from a friend who purchased one for his car for $59: http://www.sharkfinantenna.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They don't have any pictures of the Prius, but I've emailed them a few days ago and they replied saying they have sold some for Prius' but don't have pictures. So I'm guessing it fits without a problem.

It looks like the sharkfinantenna.com one is better deal; since it seems to be well tested and it's cheaper, plus it is painted to match your car as well (whereas the Sigma ones are plain black i think). In either case, does anyone have one? I'd like to see pictures of it on our cars before dipping into my pockets :wacko:

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The other advantage of the ones from Sharkfin directly is that they screw on over your existing antenna base. From the photo of the Sigma one it looks like you have to get under the headliner and completely remove the old base and mount the new one.

That method is probably more secure and prevents theft, but it's also a LOT more involved.

I like the idea of the sharkfin.com one and may give that a go once I'm sure my wife won't kill me for buying too much crap for the Prius.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That happens to you too! ;) Does she give you the "I thought this car was going to save us money"

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    She's never actually said the words, but I know "the look"! I buy the $325 CAN-View to help me save $5 in gas over the next year.... That oughta show you I didn't buy my Prius to save money....I bought it to save gas.

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've contacted them to see about getting a reduced group rate - I'll let everyone know what I find out.

Danny

6. acousticbiker

acousticbiker New Member

1. Thanks, Danny. It would also be nice to know whether they can match the Prius paint colors.

2. BTW, Danny, any word on the group buy for the body side moldings? Haven't heard from you for a while about that and metrotpn may be a good candidate since they have them in stock.

3. Also, Evan, with this antenna, are saying that you wouldn't need to remove the base somehow and can simply screw this on over it?

4. Is there a performance advantage to the sharkfin style or is it just an appearance thing? From admiring these on the newer cars, I thought that they might be "universal" antennas that also work for satellite as well--is that the case (would be cool to only have one antenna up there!)?

7. 616fun

616fun New Member

The answers to your questions are right here in the FAQ. I'd be interested in a group buy also, as I'm fixing up my new '06!!!!!

http://www.visualgarage.com/Product_FAQ.html

Brian

8. rags

rags Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I am also interested in a group purchase. Still waiting for the car to arrive - probably March.

rags

9. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I definitely want one of these. Count me in on the group buy!!!!

10. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They say better reception than a stubby which isn't as good as the OEM. Nothing in their feedback about reception. Also I wonder about condensation forming and being trapped underneath. Shipping also seems rather expensive. I like the looks though.

11. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yup, I'd give you 10 to 1 odds that the reception is seriously worse than the stock antenna. In the RF world, size does matter, especially in the AM radio band.

12. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Evan! You sound like you're in my position exactly! Ug. And I'm buying all kinds of crap before the car even arrives...

Ok so this antenna just looks fantastic. I love how it mounts and all. But beyond looks, the only REAL reason I'm doing this is so it stays out of the way of my roof racks. If the reception is at least reasonable, I'm all for it, and am CERTAINLY in for a group-buy!

Standing by!

13. darwin100

darwin100 New Member

14. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Arthur at Visial Garage responded to me in about 20 minutes to say that these fit the Prius perfectly, and all I need to supply was the paint code.

Danny... any response from them, or should I just order on my own? (I suppose I should wait until I own a Prius since I'm not 100% sure what color it will be!)

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Darell,
    Wait a bit, the negotiation period takes a while, based on prior group buys, but is usually well worth it.

16. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Standing by! (Easier for me, since I have no car yet) :)

17. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow... they look pretty good.

I will get one too if group buy price is less than $40. Then I don't have to take off the OEM antenna everytime I go to the car wash.

18. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The difference between a man and a boy is the price of his toys. :D

19. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The one from Sigma looks very interesting. It looks like the antenna is amplified since there appears to be a need for 12V power. The key question woul dbe, "Is it worth the hastle if there is no improvement in reception?" And I'd sure like to know how much a job it would be to install it and not destroy the headliner.

20. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Finalizing a few details with the folks at Visual Garage and then we should be good to go!

I'll let you know as soon as the final details are finalized.