1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone have a laptop hard drive laying around?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Danny, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm trying to sell a laptop that I have and never use, went to reimage the hard drive with WinXP Pro and other programs, and when it was trying to format the drive, it came up with a ton of bad sectors.

#1: I can't figure out a way to get the bad sectors cleaned up. After running HP's e-diagtool several times, it still can't fix them all. I've come to the conclusion that the hard drive is beyond repair.

#2: So I'm in search of a new hard drive for it. It currently has a 20GB in it, but I can upgrade that if anyone knows of a good deal on one. The ones I've found on ebay are decently priced but I figured if anyone on PC happened to have an extra laptop HDD, maybe I could get a good deal on one and help someone else out.

#3: I guess this really belongs in Private Sales, but I'd like to fix the hard drive if possible. So if anyone knows of any way to fix bad sectors on a laptop harddrive, let me know.

2. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    go to the manufacturer of the hard drive (not the notebook) website and look under support. Seagate, Maxtor, WD, all have utilities to test drives. Some can mark sectors as bad and make a drive useable again.

It's worth a shot - but they don't often work well enough and you end up replacing the drive.