1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone have an opinion on Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Tire

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mayfieldt, Mar 23, 2005.

1. mayfieldt

mayfieldt Junior Member

The Goodyear "Triple Thread" has had so many good reviews on this group, I thought I would check out the Goodyears Web page to see if it is available in the P180/65R15 size.
    It's not. :cry:

I did find, however, a new Goodyear tire... the "Assurance" with "ComforTred Technology".
    It is available in the P180/65R15 size and has a very good rating on the TireRack.com site.

Anyone with experience or opinions???

One person rated the tire very good but lower gas milage (did not elaborate). He had only 300 miles on the tire though. If true... not good.

Tom M.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: Anyone have an opinion on Goodyear Assurance ComforTred

Tom:

Well, you know that old saying about Opinions and sphincters, right?

Seriously, Tire Rack reports that - overall - folks are quite pleased with the GY Assurance ComforTred especially the ride quality. They have also reported a bit of a mileage hit.

If the roads here get any worse - I nailed a huge new pothole on the way home this afternoon - I may very well trade my Michelin Harmony for ComforTred's. The roads here are getting ridiculous! What the h*** is up with all these frost heaves??

:cussing:

3. RBW111

RBW111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just got the GY Comfortreds today. An improvement over the Integritys. Time will tell and I will report back when I've driven several miles, but I can tell a difference.

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I know this is entirely subjective, but did it make the ride softer? That's what I'm looking for, a softer ride over these bone-jarring potholes and frost heaves.

5. duanerw

duanerw senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I purchased my 05 jan 31 and after 1000 miles on it i traded for the comfortred.now have 2700 miles on it.
    had a couple inches of snow a couple weeks ago and gave it hell going up a hill both trac control and tires have me no problem ,doug in and went right up the hill.
    Ride is much softer and feel i have better control of the car with the new tires.
    went from lexington ky to lousiville on a cool day and avg. was 52mpg.around town with temps below 37 most of the time avg. 42 mpg. last 183 miles in town only,temps above 37 but not much got 48 mpg.
    i paid $160 difference but from reading prius chat im happy.
    Im retired and since finding prius chat i spend most of my retirement time here reading and learning .
    all i can say is go for it.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(duanerw\";p=\"75673)</div>
    Thanks that is exactly what I'm looking for. My car spends 95% of the time in Winnipeg with average speeds of 70 km/h or slower.

I'm not worried about winter traction as I have dedicated winter tires - Dunlop Graspic DS-2 - on steel rims. In mild winter conditions, most "3 season" tires are ok.

7. LOLGuy

LOLGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(duanerw\";p=\"75673)</div>
    I've contacted a number of Goodyear dealers in the area as well as GY Customer Service to find some way in which I can "trade-up" without nary a bite.

They'd be happy to sell me four new Comfortreds but no trade-in allowance for my Integritys.

Any hints from anyone????

8. duanerw

duanerw senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Guess i just hit it lucky. was told that goodyear will trade if you have less than 500 miles on your car but found it is only for employes and retired employes of goodyear. i checked with one of the local stores that sell goodyear and he took mine in trade.didnt give me as much as i wanted but was just glad to get the orig ones off.

9. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

8) mayfieldt,

I purchased my GY ComforTreds the first week in December 04. They worked very well here in Omaha, NE this past winter. Great tire in my opinion.

Ben

10. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My TripleTreds were very good in snow. The Integrity's have none in snow :)

I had occasion to drive to Manchester, NH on Tuesday. My roundtrip yielded only 45.5 MPG. Yeah I know non Prius owners would ask why am I complaining. BUT I got over 49 in the rental going R/T to Boston last July. So I figured the TTs were causing nearly a 10% hit. I put the Integritys back on for a trip to Keene yesterday. After setting the pressures to 38 F / 36 R as Tire Warehouse nicely put in 31.5, 32, 33 & 34 even though I asked for 2 at 36 & 2 at 38 AND they gave me each tire telling me which it was!!!

The first part of both trips is the same: 90 miles to I/91, 68 MPH on CC all the way. Temps: 50s & 60s Tues, mid 40s to 50 yesterday. On Tuesday I saw 46 mpg when I got to I/91, yesterday it was 47 mpg. So the difference wasn't as much as I thought AND I hadn't thought to check the pressure in the TTs before the trip. :-( Thus it would appear, that the TTs didn't cause much of a hit, if any. I'll have to make a similar comparison, only making sure I have checked the pressure before and after, when I swap back to the TTs in the fall.

11. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mayfieldt\";p=\"75113)</div>
    There is some lowered gas mileage with any tire that has more "sticky" ability on the road compared with the OEM Goodyear Integrity tires. It cannot be otherwise, since the OEM's are ideal for the minimal rolling resistance, which is their strong suit. But after having had the rear end slide on dry, afternoon pavement when accelerating from a dead stop onto a four lane road, I lost my confidence in them and went on a search for something better.

The Goodyear Comfortreds really do reduce felt vibration and road noise. Tradeoff is a less than nimble feel as compared to other tires, a "marshmellow" steering response has been noted by many users. The drop in fuel economy is comparable to the loss of any superior tire, but not nearly as bad as some (I got talked into Bridgestone Turanza's by the sales guy, they were truly awful, dropping fuel economy 18%!, I took advantage of the money back 30 day return on them)

I have five thousand miles on the Goodyear Comfortreds now and I can actually say that the onset of various rattles has been halted, dispite running with higher tire pressures. I jacked up the tire pressure to 40/38 from the 36/34 the other tires were at.

The loss has been about 2 miles per gallon from the OEM's.

The ride is smooth and enjoyable, the car a constant pleasure to drive. With nearly 9K miles this is still the most continuing fun of any vehicle I have ever owned. Without a doubt the better tires contribute greatly to that experience. Kept up with traffic coming back from Walt Disney World on the left lane of I75, which meant an average speed of about 85, give or take six miles an hour. Still had a very nice ride, car performed well. The Prius has all the power you need. Just as a side note, we got 43 MPG doing that high speed run with the air conditioning keeping the interior at 72 degrees on an 80 degree day.

12. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Integrety's, thou not a LRR tire, have lower rolling resistance than most all season tires (as reported by Consumer Reports - very difficult to find rolling resistance data in general. Top secret for some reason?) Maybe that's how they ended up on the car in the first place? Most tires that you put on will have higher rolling resistance, especially if they have better traction (hopefully no one will put on a WORSE traction tire than the Integretys!!!!!)

Most who trade feel the better tires are worth the small MPG drop for better handling, traction, safety, noise, comfort. Others are cool with the OEM tire, which are fine for me when the roads are perfect and dry, so 5% of the time :wink:

Good site talks about LRR tires and why there's not many choices:
    http://www.hybridcars.com/tires.html

The two they list: Michelin Energy & Bridgestone Potenza RE92. I'd be very careful about the Potenza RE92 - that's the tire on the Original Prius, it was less than popular, to say the least, and from reports on Tire Rack it wasn't popular on other model cars either. Energy seem to be a decent tire, not cheap, about $90/ea. For the price, your trading some performance for LRR, as tires like ComforTreads, TripleTred, Hydroedge, Harmony, have great performance, CTs are cheaper, and still get OK mileage. There are a few reports of people who use Energy's here (not nearly as common as the others) and they're happy with them.

13. popoff

popoff New Member

14. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

15. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why do you say they're not LRR tires? My data suggest that they are one of the very lowest RR of all available commercial tires.

The only TireRR data I've been able to come up with is:

Integrity = 0.0060
    Bridgeston B381 = 0.0062
    Nokian NRT2 = 0.0085
    Mich. Energy MXV4 = 0.0090

These are the LRR tires that there is any published or unpublished data that I've been able to locate. And I can't understand, either, why more manufacturers won't publish this. With the growing Hybrid market and increasing gas prices it seems like it could be a good selling point.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They must already be sold out. At the beginning of the winter season Tire Rack had steel rims listed for the Prius.

There is nothing special about the Prius rim, at least wrt bolt pattern. The basic steel rim from the Matrix will fit just fine.

My local Toyota dealer rounded up 4 "universal" steel rims (Two different bolt patterns on the hub) to use with my winter tires. There are several wheel shops in Winnipeg that appear to carry custom rims and steel rims for the Prius/Matrix bolt pattern.

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Evan:

I was so unimpressed with the Integrity - especially the scary performance on rain soaked roads - that I swapped them for Michelin Harmony.

I can't speak for snow traction, as I didn't have the Integrity long enough to go into winter. However, the ride quality is a bit better with the Harmony, the wet road traction is *much* better, and the noise is a bit lower.

As far as fuel economy, I didn't notice any measurable difference between the Integrity and the Harmony.

Jay

18. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I labeled Integrety's non-LRR only because I never saw them labeled LRR (I think john1701a's site lists them as standard LRR) Only place I saw their LRR mentioned was consumer reports ratings, they just said "low Rolling Resistance".

I couldn't find any manufacturer labeling for the Energy's or Potenza RE92's as LRR either, I called them LRR from what others labeled them. Perhaps tire OEMs avoid LRR label like the plague from past performances? Would really be nice if objective data was published.

Any MPG drop should be minimal on a good quality tire. The added gains in safety, handling, & comfort are worth the cost to me. The tires Evan suggested above would be worth looking into, good luck finding objective data on others!

19. Koocuz

Koocuz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My stock Good Year Assurance Fuel Max tires had pretty even edge wear at 23K miles and needed replacement. Always pumped up to about 38psi... So, given that I did not want to go with the same set (they were noisy too) I chose the comfortred with a 10/10 quiet rating. They are a little quieter, they seem to handle better but I have lost about 6mpg over the fuel max... Seems crazy a set of tires would do that!