1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone have any experiences with the Sprint PPC-6700?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Danny, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have now gotten to the point where my Treo is the absolute bane of my existence. The damn thing drops calls left and right in exact spots where other Sprint phones have full signals.

I have been looking into the PPC-6700, and was wodering if anyone had any experience with it.

I have been looking on SprintUsers to buy one used from members, but got kinda screwed over by a guy saying I could have it and then selling it to someone else.

2. jkusnetz

jkusnetz New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Jan 3 2007, 04:38 PM) [snapback]370335[/snapback]</div>
    My PPC-6700 is the bane of my existence. I'll never buy a Windows Mobile again.

That said, when it's not crashing, or not receiving phone calls, it's great! And they have had some firmware and software updates that have fixed the worst of the problems. Still, it's not a reliable phone.

3. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Jan 3 2007, 04:38 PM) [snapback]370335[/snapback]</div>
    The Treo has pretty mediocre reception.
    Try calling *2 and ask them to flag your account for a PRL update.Then call *2 again for automatic download.
    This might improve your dropped calls.

4. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would blame the problem on Sprint and not the Treo. We are given Sprint phones for work and they are HORRIBLE! The problem is Sprint uses that old and outmoded CDMA protocol, the US is I think the only place left where it's still used. I have a Sprint tower in sight of our home and still have nearly a 50% dropped call rate.

My personal phone on the other hand is a GSM based Treo and it's great, never had a dropped call and get good reception in places where Sprint completely dies.

My advice is to dump Sprint and trade your Treo for a GSM based model (T-mobil, Cingular, or unlocked GSM). I have the unlocked model for international travel, get in a different country, I just switch SIMs to get local service rather than pay the $3.00/min for international roaming. :)

5. techguru

techguru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Jan 4 2007, 06:07 PM) [snapback]370979[/snapback]</div>
    CDMA is not the problem. Sprint is. Dropped calls has been a complaint of Sprint customers for at least 7 years. Verizon is also CDMA, and it is the most reliable network in the US. I never have dropped calls.

CDMA is used in US, Canada, South Korea, and Australia. It is technically superior to the OLDER GSM protocol, but it is also based on a tightly held license (Qualcomm), and therefore more expensive to deploy, which is why GSM is more prevalent.

The one advantage GSM has is the use of SIM cards, but that is not a technical difference, but one of corporate policy. Verizon, Sprint, Alltel and the other CDMA carriers could easily implement SIM cards (or something similar) if they had the desire.

To bring this back on topic, I use the XV6700, which is the Verizon version of the PPC 6700. It is a decent PDA but a mediocre phone. I have had better reception with other devices, and the bluetooth headset support is flaky (low volume, BT shuts down in the middle of calls, requiring me to jump to the handset).

Alan

6. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(techguru @ Jan 4 2007, 06:15 PM) [snapback]370996[/snapback]</div>
    And China.

As far as I know Europe is moving to W-CDMA as their 3G standard anyway, right?

US, Japan, Korea, Australia, China crowd is currently rolling out CDMA2000.

China's is also rolling it's own 3G brand called TD-SCDMA.

So, either way, everyone will be CDMA soon right?

It's all about the bits. Cell phones aren't just for voice anymore.

GSM is limited to 14.4 KBPS, unless you do GPRS for 171 or EDGE for 513, which is what's offered by the current GSM carriers.

CDMA 1X is 144/307, 1X-EV is 2000, and EVDO is 2400.

UMTS (AKA W-CDMA) also has 2000kbps capability, which is why Europe is going that way.

7. tcooper185

tcooper185 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My cousin told me recently he had the 6700 and hated it...traded it back in to Sprint within the 30 days and got the M1 (I think). He said the earpiece was crap and it dropped calls all the time.

From what I read, Sprint should be coming out with the 6800 in the next month or so...might be worth waiting on.

tim

8. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Actually I have the verizon 6700- I like it. Once I installed Microsoft Voice Command ($30) , I set up a button to activate the Voice Command, and I just tell it to "Dial home" . With over 700 phone numbers in my Outlook that is the easiest way- no training either.

I have used the keyboard to take notes in a meeting. It will transfer one Bluetooth number at a time to the Prius...with luck...