1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone have experience storing Prius for several months?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Pogo2, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Pogo2

Pogo2 New Member

I'm a Snowbird in Phoenix from New Hampshire, had planned to leave my '05 Prius in Arizona for the summer. The eight page Toyota Technical Bulletin "Maintenance for HV and Auxilliary Batteries" (Oct. 9, 2003) outlines a complicated procedure for long term storage. It even says "in order to store for 10 days or more, Disconnect wire harness from exclusive jump starting terminal." I'm wondering if the procedure is really necessary, and if anyone has stored one for a lengthy time and what happened. We have NEVER gotten less that 50 mpg on a tank, get as high as 53.4 around metro Phoenix. Thanks for any reply. / Snowbird

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Did you search for this subject? I recall extensive discussions last year. The biggest problem seems to be with the small 12V battery. Some disconnected it, some just let it run down and jumped it, and some used a (really good) trickle charger. I'm not sure how the HV battery would like being left alone in an Arizona desert all summer. The Prius is designed to be used, not stored.

Good luck.

3. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Be sure to shut off your Smark Key system.
    That will drain your battery over a long period of time.....well I guess it does it over a short period too, just not enough to make a difference.

4. isamp

isamp Junior Member

Cambria, California / Paradise, California
    we are gone for 5 or 6 weeks at a time 3 or 4 times a year, tern off the Smart Key System and and have never had a problem with our '05
    Ron

5. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I put a Battery Tender on mine, then can leave SKS on and not worry about the car at all.