1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone have experience with newpriusbatteries install on a GEN 3?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by rjh4758, Jul 10, 2020.

1. rjh4758

rjh4758 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I recently purchased a kit from New Prius Batteries. Last week I attempted to install the kit but I recieved the wrong harness. After contacting them they shipped me the new harness overnight at no charge.

I installed everything as I could best tell from the installation instructions offered. Instructions were from a different generation prius and older generation battery cells. I installed the battery and got a P0A80 code.

I contacted New Prius Batteries for further support. Several emails and several days have passed and no response. It looks like I am screwed at this point. Hoping someone with previous experience can help me out.

Here are images of the wiring.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. rjh4758

rjh4758 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Moderators please delete. I have received a response from the manufacturer.

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what was the problem?

GG707 and SB6 like this.
  4. VintageGold

VintageGold Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I know this thread hasn't had any action on it for a couple of years, but I came across it during an image search for the newpriusbatteries.com pack installed on a Gen 3. In case anyone comes across this thread in the future:

Looking at the second image in the original post, the red wires (marked V3, V5, V7, V9, V11, V13) are hooked to the negative side of the pack on the bus bar. They should be connected to the Positive (+) side.

#4 VintageGold, Feb 7, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
    Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Meaning what, exactly ?
    Are you saying that those wires should be moved to the right side of their respective little "bus bars" instead of the left ?

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What's your situation; have you got a third gen kit? Did you get the right harness and instructions, and are the instructions saying the correct connections?

You've finished the install, test-driven, or still in the thick of it?

7. VintageGold

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No, the opposite of that, which was the OP's problem. You can see in his second pic he hooked the red wires to the Negative (-) side of the pack, which is the right side of the bus bar. They should be connected to the Positive (+), or left, side of the bus bar, as they are in my picture.

8. VintageGold

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Interestingly, the kit comes with harnesses for 2nd and 3rd gen Prii. I had to send an email over to support because this wasn't very clear when opening the box. It also comes with new temp sensors.

The instructions, which are very detailed, are written with 2nd gens in mind with some supplemental info for 3rd gens. Unfortunately, the very specific part about which way the batteries should go in is the opposite of what I had to do. This delayed me for longer than I care to admit before I found another thread that discussed how the upper and lower terminals should orient (Newpriusbatteries install problem with positive and negative | PriusChat). I plan to send over some suggestions with pictures to them once I get a chance.

Long story long. I finished the installation and have been driving it for two weeks with no issues. I'll open the cover back up and check for any slippage in my wiring and then put the covering plastics back on.

Paul E. Highway likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good idea. Hopefully you can get through, and they listen.

10. Paul E. Highway

Paul E. Highway Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    They are basically all Gen 2 kits with some Gen 3 harnesses added. The well written and illustrated install manual is 95% Gen 2, you will see drawings and layouts that are unfamiliar if you have a Gen 3. Text support is quick, questions are answered quickly and I’m very happy with my Newpriusbatteries rig. Gen 3 deserves a dedicated install manual that’s as good as the Gen 2 manual! My $0.02.