1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone have experience with rear quarter panel repairs?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by UoD, Apr 17, 2021.

1. UoD

UoD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've got an opportunity to purchase a 2019 Prius LE at a discounted price due to some damage above the rear wheel well. I plan to get my mechanic to look it over so I can be assured there are no mechanical issues sometime early next week, and I also plan on taking it to a body shop too for an estimate. Since I can't do that until sometime in the week. I was wondering if anyone had some information they could share over the weekend while my wife and I ponder whether we want this car or not.

We are totally ok with buying a car that has some cosmetic damage because we are going to be driving this thing 55k miles a year on a highway system in a state that is known for awful roads. We currently have a 2012 Prius C with almost 400k miles on it, and it looks like a lion and grizzly bear had a fight on it. Dings, scrapes, dents, etc. I say this to point out that I am not looking for any repair to be perfect. I am not looking for a show car. I just want it painted and repaired in such a way as to stop any more paint from coming off, preventing any potential rust, etc.

Pic attached. Probably a little hard to see, but there is some minor damage to the metal (some crumpling) and some paint missing. Biggest paint scape is at the 9 o'clock position of the wheel (that light grey streak you see in the picture). It really doesn't look that bad in person, and this Prius is going to cost me a few thousand less out the door than anything else I am seeing around me. It looks like someone tried to merge into someone and had a glancing blow. This it the only damage on the car --- looks perfect otherwise. What do you guys and gals think? Something I might be able to get repaired for $500 or so? Is there anything I should be weary of with this damage?

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't think of anything important there, unless the wheel was hit. have the mech check the fuel system.
    personally, at 55k/year, i wouldn't bother with body repair, and you won't own it long enough for rust to be an issue.
    all the best!(y)