1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone have experience with these?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Nagual, May 20, 2008.

1. Nagual

Nagual New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey Everybody,

So...I'm waiting for my Pri to arrive and have been reading PC and thinking about all the cool mods I can do. Well, I found a couple of things on ebay and wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with these products:

eBay Motors: Toyota Prius 2004-2008 Perfect Cut Window Tints (item 120261859747 end time May-20-08 20:05:32 PDT)&

eBay Motors: TOYOTA Prius 2004-08 Clear Protection for Bumper (item 350059991933 end time May-20-08 16:12:34 PDT)&

These seem like a sweet deal...and NO these are not my ads :)

Any insights would be appreciated.

2. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Every time I see a car with peeling and bubbled window tint, I figure it was someone who tried to install it themselves.

3. Jennjay

Jennjay Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Agree 100% with priusenvy. These are not do it yourself jobs unless you know what you are doing. Never seen good window tinting done by a do it yourselfer. Good luck when the car comes. Also the guy's feedback on ebay is less than stellar.

4. clayfree

clayfree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I ordered the clear bra kit. It is supposed to be delivered today and I will try to apply it tonight. A few others here have used it a they all seem to like it.

I was tempted to try the window kit but thought I would screw up some of the films learning how to apply them. Still it's a good price for ceramic film.

5. strieby

strieby Priusman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I tried the front bumper for my 2008 and it was a mess trying to install. It does not fit very well and after an hour of frustration I just tossed it in the trash. You get what you pay for!

6. pmanza

pmanza Fernsmom

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Are you sure its ceramic? Looked like just the cheap dye film to me.
    Fernsmom

7. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The clear bra kit is a mere .3mils thick, not the usual tough .8mils in other products. I would not use it alone on a bumper, but that's just me.

I actually ordered the same bra kit for my 2008, but I'm only going to install it to prevent *possible* Toyota Bra wear marks.

ZC1

8. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm a do-it-yourselfer. Window tint is one of those task I don't want to try myself. I rather attempt to swap out the tranny on my Prius than try to tint it. It's definitely a job you need to know what you're doing to have it turn out right. I'm not saying it's brain surgery, but I believe it to be a skill someone has to show you for you to get it right. With a tranny I'm either going to get it installed or not. I can stumble through it and after staring at it long enough I'll eventually get it. With tint you really only have one shot. ;) IMHO, getting the tint cut is the easier part... getting it installed looks more difficult.

Mike

9. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    X10

10. Nagual

Nagual New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Great feedback Everyone...thank you!

I was hoping to save some cash since I am laying out a good chunk with Pri and all.

I looked up the coastaltech lockpicks as well....pretty sweet! not that anyone would ever need a movie playing while they are driving ;)

11. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not to mention tinting isn't really all that expensive. Most people are able to get it done with a lifetime guaranteed tint out the door for less then $200.

12. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I too, am a do-it-yourself kind of guy. We hardly ever had to hire someone to do things around the house.

That said, the mark of a good do-it-yourselfer is someone who knows when it is time to call a professional. A bad do-it-yourselfer thinks they can do everything.

Bob

13. stevendwatson

stevendwatson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I installed pre-cut window tint in my last vehicle (front door windows only--back and rear windows were factory tinted). It is a very tedious and time-consuming job that requires a great deal of patience. I also installed tint on most of the windows of our home so I had prior experience. I would only recommend it if you are a perfectionist who will take the time and effort to do it right. All the tint I installed looks professional (no bubbles or wrinkles whatsoever).

One tip if you do attempt to do it is to make sure you clean the part of the door that is just below the window as well as you clean the window. I learned the hard way that if there is any dust on the door, it can easily be picked up by the tint film during installation. (I had to order additional film due to this mistake.)

The clear bra is installed the same way, however, I imagine it is more difficult due to the curves. I had VentureShield installed on the bumper and entire hood of my Prius immediately after purchasing my car. Even with experience of tint installation, I didn't want to tackle that job myself.

14. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    +1 for what stevendwatson said about cleanliness. Most DIY jobs
    ultimately fail from minute dirt/dust picked up from adjacent surfaces that
    the film touches during the installation.

+1 also for the tedium to get it to look professional.

I pulled off a DIY tint job on a VW squareback -- Type 3? -- some years
    back. Used the silver home type aft of the drivers windows. (Was never
    hasseled by the cops in either LA area or later in Seattle. I don't think the
    silvery stuff is legal any more.) A lot of the time, the water on the glass
    wicks minescule dirt out from udner the gasketing around the glass.

My answer was to remove all the glass. Then I was able to put on the film
    with the glass horizontal on a blanket covered table. Also, I could cut the
    film so that it stopped short of the window edge, yet went under the gasket
    when re-mounted.

It looks like the Prius' windows have only two dimensional bends -- like a
    portion of a cylinder, not a sphere. That means it should be relatively easy
    to avoid wrinkles and bubbles.

All that said, should I decide to tint my windows, paying a pro ~$200 is my
    idea of a good deal. And if some latent problem later turns up, I can get
    all up in the installer's grill for a redo.

15. sleonardelli

sleonardelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Clear bras I would not try myself either. Watched the guy do mine and he was very meticulous (and experienced). I've heard it can take hours if you don't know what U R doing.

16. Nagual

Nagual New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Looks like everyone is saying the same thing.

I would love to save the cash, but it would suck if I spent hours working on this just to have some stupid piece of dust ruin it..hehe.

17. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would be careful about Coastal tech also. They make super products but tend to be so-so on customer service and communications. Some here yell about how great they are and some people just yell at them. Spotty service after they get your money.

I wont give them my business for that reason.

18. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ditto. At the very least, do a thorough search to get a good sense of what sort of service level you can expect for the product you order. It seems that when an item is in stock, shipment is prompt. For backorders, returns, or support ... well, good luck.

19. Nagual

Nagual New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have seen those comments about Coastal Tech as well. Weird that their service is so hit or miss.

That being said, that Ultimate Lockpic sounds pretty cool.