1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone have funny friends like mine?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sugar land dave, Feb 23, 2008.

1. sugar land dave

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Most of my friends drive big cars, or big trucks. You should have heard them howl when I gave up my big SUV for a new Prius. They didn't know anything about the car except it wasn't BIG.

Since then, most have gradually given way to curiosity and have come up with excuses for me to give them a ride. After a short time in the passenger seat, most have asked all the questions, experienced the ride, expressed surprise at the quietness, unexpected roominess, and shocking mileage. They then realize and declare the purchase to be the smartest move ever!

Anybody have similar friends?

2. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No. It's just you.

Just kidding.

All of mine want a hybrid, but most are still upside-down on their current loans.

Nertz!

How's Sugarland, by the way? I spent a good portion of my life in and around there. The last time I drove through I blinked and found myself in Rosenberg. Is the sprawl still, um, sprawling?

3. sugar land dave

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ever worse. Houston runs into Sugar Land which is coming ever closer to running into Rosenberg. 5-10 years, it will be solid city all the way there.... After all, Hwy 59 running thru there is slated to become the NAFTA HWY! :help:

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My father had a bunch of firends at work in the late 50's when the VW bug was just getting popular here. They were tired of hearing their other friend brag about how great his bug was and what terrific gas mileage it got. So everyday they took turns bringing in a gallon of gas and putting it in his bug while the others made sure he was kept busy away from his car. After a week or 2 when they couldn't stand him gushing over what great mileage he was getting they started taking a gallon out of his car everyday. They were besides themselves laughing while he was fuming that he couldn't understand the sudden change and the VW dealers insistence that nothing was wrong.

So (Like in the Indiana Jones movie) choose your friends wisely. At least they all stayed friends for years after they came clean to the bug owner about what they did.

So don't brag too much to your friends about how great your Prius is LOL.

5. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That's funny!

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have heard this story many times over the years, told by different people. I don't know that it is an urban legend, but it has all of the trappings of one.

Tom

7. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

If I recall correctly, this is right out of a movie made in 1964 entitled "Good Neighbor Sam". The lead actor was Jack Lemmon.

Keith

8. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I work in the Washington D.C. area and just about everyone has a commute. You can always get complete strangers talking to you just by asking them about their commuting options. People with gas guzzlers usually find another way to and from work after the first month of gas bills. There are a lot of Prii in the area so no one batted an eyelash when I started driving one to work. We don't have too many folks in the office but we have a GEN I and two GEN II (one is mine) in the parking lot every day. Some folks think that the demand for Prii will decline because you can't get an HOV exemption for I-95 and I-395 anymore unless you got it before this summer, but it hasn't seemed to make much of a difference.

In other words, my friends don't make fun of the Prius at all. Folks with commutes over an hour or gas guzzling cars usually get made fun of.

9. HealthPromotion

HealthPromotion New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a really funny group of friends! Most of them have sportscars and can't believe I now have a Prius.

My best friends drive...
    new STi
    new Z4
    Porsche Cayman

My only friend with decent fuel economy drives a Volkswagen Toureg V10 Tdi.