1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

anyone have plug n play sirius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Katebell1977, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Katebell1977

Katebell1977 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    if you have it can you give me feedback on it?

i cant decide whether i want the sirius kit or the starmate4(either hardwired or fm modulator)

maybe some reviews would be helpful for me

TIA

kate

2. tedmarshall

tedmarshall New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KateBell1977 @ Sep 6 2007, 11:57 AM) [snapback]508046[/snapback]</div>
    I have a Starmate 4 in my Prius and am quite happy with it. It actually have it sitting on opened door of the compartment below the radio and connected to the aux-in jack in the center armrest.

Here are the pros and cons as I see them (not that I have actually used the factory kit):

Pros for Starmate:
    * ~44 minute buffer for pausing/rewinding.
    * Controls and display are fully functional while driving.
    * Cheaper.
    * Can be removed from the car and used in another car or in a home kit or boombox (Plug and Play).

Pros for factory kit:
    * Controls and display are integrated into the car controls and MFD.
    * Probably better audio if you don't have an aux-in (pre-2006?) and have to use an FM modulator.

I hope this helps.

3. Katebell1977

Katebell1977 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    my pri is 07 but can you control the sirius with your steering controls if its wired into the unit?

dh says maybe we will do plug n play then later on get the factory kit. it depends on the radio guys suggestions

4. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I do like the plug-n-play versions for the reasons mentioned above. The steering wheel controls might be nice, but for me they're not necessary. I would much rather be able to take my Starmate into the house or into another vehicle if I wanted to.

5. Katebell1977

Katebell1977 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i dont have my pri today i have to drive....... GASP.........my durango with a hemi because dh took the pri to get the sirius put in. i dont know what one they are doing its a suprise. we shall see. i am almost wishing i knew though i will let ya all know

6. Katebell1977

Katebell1977 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    this is what t hey are putting in my car i asked dh becasue the factory one wont work with my car they tried it :( and the starmate is too big for it to look clean and stock its the starbase it sounds cool i get a remote i can velcro that to my steering wheel :) http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/servlet/Ex...ldParentID=7870

7. justsoup

justsoup New Member

Kate,

One of the first things I purchased for my car was this item from factoryInteractive. The Sirius unit is fully integrated with the car, steering wheel, MFD, etc. The only complaint is the 10-character limit on the title/song description. Otherwise, the unit has worked perfectly and the service from FactoryInteractive was exceptional.

http://www.factoryinteractive.com/SiriusPrius/

8. Katebell1977

Katebell1977 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(justsoup @ Sep 10 2007, 09:14 AM) [snapback]510108[/snapback]</div>

they put it in and it didnt work :(

9. justsoup

justsoup New Member

Kate,

I didn't read your post carefully. I missed the part where you said the factory installed unit wouldn't work. Hopefully, the starbase works for you. Good luck.

James

10. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Toyota now offers a factory Sirius kit, so you don't need a third party kit.

The downsides are pretty much as above: 10 character limit on display, and no "special" features: jump to traffic, replay, buffering, etc. The reception doesn't seem to be as good, either.

If you have an AUX in your model, by all means use it. This is by far the best way to hook up a Sirius.

11. silverbell

silverbell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alanh @ Sep 11 2007, 01:02 AM) [snapback]510480[/snapback]</div>

I checked the site above and help me get this right please. It seems that the Toyota OEM kit for $265 will work with the 2004 model. Correct?