1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone have problems in a huge traffic jam?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by FishHawk, Oct 17, 2006.

1. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

I was involved in a large traffic jam going to Cape Cod. We were crawling. I was mostly on my battery and electric motor. I got a little nervous because the battery was getting very low. Has anyone had issues with the car stalling or the battery not being charged in such as situation? FishHawk

2. Pious

Pious New Member

I had that happen to me yesterday, and the ICE kicked in and charged the battery with no problem.

3. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as you're not leaving the car in neutral, the ICE will start and charge the battery whenever the ECU thinks it needs to.

4. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

It wasn't very impressive a time this summer when it was too hot to leave the AC off all the way. I had that on low and we got in a traffic snarl. 1.5 hours, 10 miles... After a point, the car was pretty well freaked out starting and stopping the engine. It's terrible for mpg when it's doing that, but no harm done.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just leave it in D and drive it; the Prius will take care of itself. You can't discharge the battery unless you leave it in N.

Tom

6. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I've been doing this 5 days a week for the past 10 months. Not once has it been a problem. Battery is full, battery drains, ICE charges battery, battery is full. Lather, rinse, repeat.

If you are really worried, when the traffic stops for a second, put on the brakes hard, and push the accelerator. The ICE will come on an charge the battery. Don't know if this is good or bad, but it works.

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The only time I have that bad a traffic jam is when I'm in LA. Every time the ICE kicks in and out as needed without problems.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a FEATURE of your Prius...instead of sitting and idling it uses the battery to keep critical systems alive during low speed or stopped traffic. It allows the battery to get quite low on the assumption that traffic will go away soon and you'll recharge when you start driving. If you don't start driving it'll start up, charge nominally for a tiny fuel burn, and go back to battery-only mode.

Do NOT shut off the car when the battery gets low...this is worse for FE as it will force it to go through the warm-up cycle again and you'll actually end up with an even lower battery charge.

Do NOT do the forced charge method above (brake, gas technique), also unnecessarily burns fuel and increases the temp of the electronics (inverter, battery, etc) making them less efficient.

Do NOT put the car in neutral or you eliminated the option for the battery to be recharged by the ICE. There are really only 2 ways you can damage your prius battery....1)leaving the car in Neutral and allowing the battery to be discharged, or 2)running out of gas and continuing to drive until the battery is depleted (and even that won't do it unless you keep going and going with multiple restarts).

DO smile at all those saps burning gas for no good reason and frown at those same saps for polluting our world while they sit there burning gas.

9. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 17 2006, 03:56 PM) [snapback]334227[/snapback]</div>
    Indeed! You are driving a "real" hybrid. This is what it does. Be happy that it works this way. If it doesn't use the battery in this fasion, there's little reason to drag the thing along with you. In the car I drive the most, the Internal Combustion Engine NEVER comes on - mostly because there isn't one.

10. Ari

Ari New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This whole thread sounds like my daily commute! (I'm sure I'm not the only one.) [​IMG]

It's really cool to inch along using little or no fuel while everyone else is idling. So no, it's not a bug, it's a feature :rolleyes:

11. Artemis

Artemis New Member

Don't worry, I sell those and I own one. I can tell you that the engine will always come on when the battery gets low. That is the design of the car. Whether you know it or not, the battery always gets low before the engine comes online.

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Oct 17 2006, 07:05 PM) [snapback]334229[/snapback]</div>
    Don't you mean it's *always* on? It goes fast and slow, but you don't want it to ever stop, though it will someday. You are referring to the original, organic engine, fueled by bananas, yes? There's still an 'intake', 'internal combustion', and an...um...'exhaust'. :)

13. jdauteuil

jdauteuil New Member

I to sit in ridiculous MA traffic on a daily basis and sometimes notice the same thing happening... Just turn on the consumption screen and let the car do it's thing - like the other poster said!

14. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FishHawk @ Oct 17 2006, 05:30 PM) [snapback]334173[/snapback]</div>
    It does take some getting used to. In the summer here, I will be in stop and go, with A/C on, and I am still surprised when the gasoline engine cranks up when I am sitting still, but it's the normal behavior from what I can tell.

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FishHawk @ Oct 17 2006, 04:30 PM) [snapback]334173[/snapback]</div>
    Congrats! Having worried like that, then finding out later that the system was working perfectly, makes you are true owner now. Without having felt that anxiety would have deprived you of the complete ownership experience.

Now that you do know, the real fun begins. Heck, 6 years and 122,700 miles later, I'm still enjoying it.

16. NCPriusGrl

NCPriusGrl New Member

Never had a problem once the battery runs low. I drive from NC to Philly a few times a year and sometimes get stuck in 2+ hour traffic back-ups around DC and besides problems with a full bladder, my Prius takes care of me getting through it.

17. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NCPriusGrl @ Oct 18 2006, 09:24 AM) [snapback]334410[/snapback]</div>
    Yours or the cars? :lol:

18. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 18 2006, 10:38 AM) [snapback]334418[/snapback]</div>
    It would only be the car's problem if it were an empty bladder. :D

19. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I read somewhere that when you have that feeling that you *really* have to go to the bathroom, the walls of your bladder are only a few cell layers thick...

20. NCPriusGrl

NCPriusGrl New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 18 2006, 10:38 AM) [snapback]334418[/snapback]</div>
    ha ha, it would be a good "problem" if the cars bladder was full.

Hint, don't be in the far left lane on I-95 in the middle of the day.