1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone have problems with the service people underinflating tires?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Rupert B Puppenstein, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Rupert B Puppenstein

Rupert B Puppenstein Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can't seem to figure out what the strategy may be when I take my car in for an oil change. It usually involves tire rotation based on the mileage. I have followed the PSI ratings inside the drivers door for the front and rear tires. Yet, I keep forgetting to tell my service advisor about this. Perhaps next time I get the oil changed, I will check the pressure before I drive off.

Is it common knowledge not to follow the recommendations inside the door for what the PSI should be? They are usually at least 10 - 15 psi lower than what they should be. I know there are worse things to be frustrated about, but has anyone else had this happen when they take their car into Toyota for service?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that sounds unsafe, i would definately check them after your next service and bring the manager out to look and ask him why they are doing that. overfilling the oil and underfilling the tires. what next?:rolleyes:

Rupert B Puppenstein likes this.
  3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When handing over the car I ask that they don't touch the tires. Sometimes I remember to leave a note on the dashboard listing everything I don't want: Don't adjust tire pressure/Don't wash/...

This approach works, for the most part. I check one tire before leaving the lot & haven't found my tires deflated.

Rupert B Puppenstein likes this.
  4. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    One thing that intrigues me about this forum is that Toyota's tire-inflation specifications are widely questioned while the engine-0il recommendation is held in very high regard and its every nuance is discussed.

So, do we trust Toyota's specifications or do we not.

toyotechwv likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tire specs are a safety item overseen by the $!@#%& lawyers.

6. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The lawyers obviously want the least exposure to liability, so they would insist on the safest inflation pressure?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you would think so. many of us run higher for better f/e, but i'm not sure proper studies have been done on safety. without that, it's tough to say. there was quite a bit of fuss about tire pressure when all the suv's were flipping and the tire and car mfg.'s were pointing fingers.

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's not a matter of trust. Specs are one size fits all. If your criteria is the same as the people and vehicle usage the specs were intended for, then they are right for you.

I trust Toyota to issue specs that fit the majority of typical consumers operating their cars under typical conditions. Many of us here have moved beyond that.

As a retired engineer I know how specs are dumbed down to fit the masses. The specs you see aren't necessarily the ones the people who designed the cars use on their personal vehicles.

Rupert B Puppenstein and fuzzy1 like this.
  9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the shop is leaving your tires this much below the door placard, I can only surmise that someone's pressure gauge is seriously malfunctioning. Whose gauge is bad, yours or theirs, remains to be determined.

If possible, verify your measurement with several different gauges. My household has three normal gauges that read nearly the same, and one built into a bicycle pump that read much lower than the others. The later one is never believed.

GrumpyCabbie and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A long time ago I gave up on getting a shop to reliably inflate my tires to the pressure I want. If they look safe to drive, I take the car home and check the pressures the next morning.

I did have a nice surprise my last Toyota dealer service. They filled all 4 tires to 40 psi without me saying anything. Not exactly what I wanted but not far enough off for me to turn on my compressor. I'll be going in there in another month it will be interesting to see if that was an accident or a policy.

11. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When ever I have a service performed on the car, I include several paper copies of the work I expect performed. The last line item is, Front tire PSI 42, Rear tire PSI 40. When I pick the car up, I pull out the pressure gauge, and check them. Only once did I have to have the dealer refill to my requested specs!

12. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've found that 99% of the tire shops, independent shops and dealers that I've visited are completely incapable of setting tire pressure properly. They have absolutely no understanding (or do not care) about the concepts of hot vs cold tire pressure, or what the tire inflation placard says. They all seem to have gone to the same school that teaches them that every car should get 32 psi, hot or cold. :mad:

13. Rupert B Puppenstein

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad to see that I am not the only one experiencing this! :) I will definitely try checking it with a few different gauges and verify the pressure before I leave the next time I take it in for service. Thanks for all the tips everyone!

14. Rupert B Puppenstein

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just an update...After I brought it up to the dealer for my last oil change/tire rotation, they were spot on. Apparently, you have to ask for them to follow the settings in the door? :confused:

15. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't count on that working.

16. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I told my dealer service rep on first visit that I wanted 40F/38R and watched him put it in computer. First service both were at 40, close enough. Second service believe it or not I checked when I got home and all four were at 50 psi, well above max sidewall rating of 44 !!

I called the service rep and he assured me that this was not possible. He even put me on hold and checked with the shop guy who insisted he would have never done this. I went back outside and checked with three different gauges before lowering the pressure back to 40/38.

The next and last visit I checked the tires before I left and they were again close to 40.

I am convinced this is the same air hose they use to install the lug nuts and oil filters :mad:

17. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's why I quit asking for a specific pressure years ago. It made no sense to keep setting myself up for a disappointment.:)

fuzzy1 and jdcollins5 like this.
  18. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Maybe they recognised your distinctive face and smoking habit from your profile picture and knowing you're a Priuschat member, knew you'd want your pressures that high? Just a thought ;)

xs650 likes this.
  19. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's a logical sounding conclusion, except I was just in there again and they only filled my tires to 35-36 psi and it was the same service adviser.

dwhopson and GrumpyCabbie like this.