1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone have/seen a shipping container house/office?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by timtim2008, Jul 28, 2010.

1. timtim2008

timtim2008 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]Anyone have/seen a shipping container house/office?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes... I've seen two; one in Oregon, the other north of Monterey... and I've considered building one for the property in Calaveras Co... very quick build time, sturdy as all hell, and the exterior is bug proof.

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    About 15 years ago we had one that was converted to a portable mechanics/machine shop for remote test sites. It was insulated and air conditioned.

Sure was easy to transport by truck, ship, or plane.

4. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess we were ahead of the times. Not exactly a shipping container like this, but back in '75 I think we started raising sheep. Didn't have a barn, so Dad got a livestock trailer (for a semi-truck) that we set up as a barn. Over time we added a pole barn to one side, then extended it, now it sits in the middle of the completed barn.

Interesting pictures though. It makes sense in limited situations - if they're excess units for some reason. This is not the most effective way to use steel to make a house if that was the initial intent of the steel. Also insulation might be a bit difficult without making the inside noticeably narrower. (May be okay in Oregon or Tennessee, not Minnesota or North Dakota).