1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone have Sharkfin antenna on their 2010?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by DeanFL, Oct 10, 2009.

1. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm considering the Sharkfin antenna available on PriusChat Shop. Heard conflicting reports of reception from pre-'10 owners. And the reviews of this product are sparse. Does anyone have this installed on their 2010?

Reception is not ultra-important for me as I use the CD/Aux primarily with minimal use of FM - never AM and the Sat subscription ran out.

Would appreciate feedback from current users....

PriusChat Shop : Toyota Prius Shark Fin Antenna - $82.00$74.00

2. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've installed the Sharkfin on my 2008 purely as a styling mod.
    It's not a 2010, so take my comments with a grain of salt:

Amapola RIms.jpg

In daily commuting I rarely use the radio. I'm hypermiling doan-cha-
    know, and I find I'm more "in the moment" without the radio. On out of
    town trips, I prefer books on tape/ipod to help the miles pass, especially
    if I'm running on cruise control.

All of my commuting is within 20 miles of Ballamer and there are lots of
    strong FM stations, should I get caught in a traffic jam. That said, in my
    experience there is a definite range/fidelity reduction with the Sharkfin. I
    can live with it, many can't. Do a search using "sharkfin," you can see
    how others feel.

Then it's up to you; style or reception; your choice.

3. ALL_600D

ALL_600D New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    there is just a slight lost of reception compared to the regular antenna. i don't really listen to FM/AM anyway and have sirius installed so radio reception is not an issue. it sure does look better now.

Attached Files:

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It looks great -- it flows with the lines of the car.

Curious, how good a job did Visual Garage do with matching your Blizzard Pearl paint color?

5. wsk

wsk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The white paint work is perfect match.

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love the looks of the Visual Garage Sharkfin antenna on the Gen II and Gen III Prius. I think it complements the lines of the Prius beautifully.

Here's another pic of one -- on my Gen II Magnetic Gray:

[​IMG]

From my tests, reception is definitely diminished somewhat. But I don't notice the diminished reception in my New York City driving region very often. The stations with a strong signal still come in loud and clear. But reception of weak signal stations -- college stations, stations broadcasting outside of New York City, etc. -- is definitely noticeable.

The way I see it, I can always go back to the whip antenna if I want to. But so long as I continue to live in or near New York City, I don't think I ever will.

7. tjp74

tjp74 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Was the install easy?

8. NE_Phil

NE_Phil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I live about 20 miles away from "the big city" (i.e., where the radio transmitters are located) and all of the stations I normally listen to get very poor reception now using the shark fin sold by PriusChat.com/Shop. I was very disappointed. I suspected there might be a slightly weaker signal but not as much as I hear.

Reception with the shark fin is definitely diminished compared to the standard antenna, period. I installed it a few weeks ago on my 2008 and even the relatively strong stations result in too much static.

I understand there is a powered shark fin version (not sold her). That might do better. But as it is, I'm going to have to put back the standard antenna. Really disappointed in this antenna.

9. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not sure - but it seems a consensus of 2010 people find the radio reception as a rule worse than their previous transport. There are several threads on this - and I'd bet it is more a design issue (a very long lead going back to the rear of the car). Japan radio runs a different frequency band (76-90 Mhz vs 88 - 107 Mhz here) - maybe this is partly why it wasn't tested/designed well ?????

I guess if you live in a "well lit" area, you are fine, otherwise - not sure what we will do...

10. jasoninmass

jasoninmass Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the SharkFin on my 2010 Blizzard Pearl Prius..radio works the same and it looks great.

11. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mine works about the same as before. Nothing noticeably different

12. unkprius

unkprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Suburban Houston no difference in sound on FM, or even on am stations, though driving out further than 25 miles would probably show difference. But I listen to XM 90% of the time so I don't care. Easy install, perfect match. Recommended. A++

Remember the good ole' days of trying to get WLS Chicago or KAAY Little Rock or that station just across the border with Wolfman?

I do. :(

(edit: at least I -think - it was KAAY)

13. NE_Phil

NE_Phil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    It was a waste of $80. I have a 2008, purchased the shark fin because it was less obtrusive when putting kayaks on my Prius.
    I live about 15 miles away from any of the radio transmitters and it greatly affected reception in my area. I could not make out the local radio stations. I took it off and went back to the standard antenna.

14. nickfromny

nickfromny Member since 2007

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Get Fin if you are using roof rack for kayaks, Bikes, Skis, Ski or cargo box. Antenna gets in way. Reason for less reception is fin is 8 inches shorter than factory antenna.

15. I would say reception is about 90-95% of what it was before the fin. I am located in the Seattle area and do not regret installing the fin...