1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

anyone have the rear bumper protector from Sigma?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hybrid_batmobile, Aug 3, 2006.

1. hybrid_batmobile

hybrid_batmobile New Member

I'm considering getting one since the top of my bumper was just scratched by someone taking luggage in/out.
    How has it worked out for you? Does it fade over time? How does it stay on the car? Do you recommend getting it?

Thanks

2. BobSoNH

BobSoNH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yep, I've got one. It's actually made for a Corolla, but fits the Prius just fine. It's got two strips of adhesive; just remove the paper protector and press in place. It has saved me many a scratch, I'm sure. And gives me a place to sit while I lace up my hiking boots. I definitely recommend it. As for fading, I've only had it since this spring, but I use that 303 Aerospace stuff on it so expect it to last longer than the rest of the car...

3. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hybrid_batmobile @ Aug 3 2006, 11:26 AM) [snapback]297003[/snapback]</div>
    I have the black one from Metro that I think is for the Matrix. It's fine, no fading, etc., but I would rather have one that comes back further and covers the rear top lip of the bumper as well. That said, I ended up ordering the same thing that I had, for my wife's 06 this week. Now it's listed as a Prius part; I think when I got the first one a year or two ago, it was listed as a Matrix part only. It hasn't arrived yet, so I don't know for sure if it's the same thing.

http://www.metrotpn.com/Default.aspx

4. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

Sigma's rear bumper protector is $140...JDM product and it's chrome...I wonder if it is easy to put on???

I may check out the Corolla one at the service center....

I didn't see one here in Danny's place...

terri

5. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I got one from someone on eBay a while back....also got side body mouldings. I think the mouldings were about 90 and the bumper protector (which is a black plastic) was like 35. It has worked great...was very, very easy to install.

If you search these forums I'm sure you'll find many threads on them.

6. chrick

chrick Junior Member

I have the Toyota bumper protector that was added at the port. It has definitely protected the bumper from my dogs jumping in and out. I can't speak to the fading as I've only had the car for 6 weeks. It looks like it will hold up well.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I got a black plastic one on eBay too. It has a lip that goes over the back. Two adhesive strips secure it. I installed it myself. I don't know what Toyota it was made for but it works fine.

I saw the rear bumper "decal". What a rip off. I don't see that offering any protection at all and for the price it is absolutely worthless. Worthless at any price. Overpriced. Just plain stupid.

8. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have the same one as Godiva. Black rubber that curls down the lip of the bumper. It works great! Has saved me many a scratch.

I think it was around $25 on EBAY.

Looks great on the car too...everyone thinks it is a factory installed piece.

9. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I got one of those black ones which fit the Prius like a glove. I had the guy who installed another mod install this bumper protector at the same time. I'm glad I did that.

I had looked at the back of the protector and it had 2 thin strips of adhesive. I asked the installer if he had any experience with those adhesives loosening up? His comment was informative, I thought. He said "oh those 3M adhesives are really good ones but you must use alcohol to clean the entire area the adhesives would be in contact. Good advice I would say. That is the reason I am sharing this here.

So clean up that bumper with alcohol before installing that bumper protector and you should have no fears of it flying off later.

10. esskay

esskay Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Aug 11 2006, 04:10 PM) [snapback]301782[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, I've received that advice for when you want something to adhere as best as possible, to use alcohol to remove the wax.