1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone have Urban chickens as pets?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Godiva, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just read an interesting article about two local cities that are being petitioned to allow residents to keep chickens as pets.

Hadn't really thought of chickens as pets. But eating the bugs, slugs and grubs sounds appealing as does the fresh eggs.

And I imagine I can teach the dog to tolerate or even LIKE the chickens if I get them really young.

A coop can be made from scrap wood, of which I have access to a plethora.

Anyone else in an URBAN setting who has chickens as PETS that can comment? (I'm not talking rural farming or flocks here.)

Oh...and NO ROOSTERS.

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Some folks up the street from us had some. Perhaps 6 or so. We never knew they were there until the people had an open house before they moved.

Some friends of ours down in Austin, TX have kept a few chickens for a while now and I think it works pretty well for them.

3. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    OH, they're legal where I live. In fact, my local nursery has a little informal "petting zoo". He basically has a few chickens, geese and goats on the property, fenced off from the nursery. I might talk to him about chickens. Maybe even get a baby chick from him if he breeds them.

Thanks for the link.

5. CMonster

CMonster Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The nice lady that rescued & fostered my dog has urban chickens, including Mr. Joy, the therapy rooster. Mr. Joy's web site has some good info/links and is pretty amusing to boot.

Coolest Chicken on the web!

Look at the middle of the Nuggets section for urban chicken info & the bottom of the Photo Album for shots of her setup.

She was trying to find a home for a chicken earlier this year and I considered it, but my neighborhood HOA would pitch a fit.

6. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've had a small flock of chickens for years in a rural setting. They are wonderful critters, fun to watch, easy to care for. They will eat your flowers and grass.....right down to nothing. They will eat table and veggie prep scraps.

7. Speedwing

Speedwing Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Key West Florida Roosters ..... Need I say more? Oh don't forget the 6 toed Hemingway cats as well! Both are protected animals in Key West.

8. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Roosters protected? Every now and then, Key West hires somebody to thin the herd.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As you said, no roosters. They can cause a lot of trouble. In a nearby village, a developer built a new condominium complex adjacent to an existing farm. The farmer's teenage son had a few chickens and a rooster. I'm sure he would have happily sold the lot to the developer, but no one asked him. As you could have guessed, the rooster made a lot of early morning noise, and the city folks who purchased the condominiums didn't care for that much country atmosphere, so they complained. The developer, in turn, filed suite to get rid of the rooster. As I said before, I'm sure he could have offered the kid $500 to get rid of the rooster and the problem would have been solved, but no, the developer went directly to court. The entire village, other than the condo owners, rallied to save the rooster. Bumper stickers were printed, people wrote letters to the paper, and generally created a public relations nightmare. The farm was an existing farm and operating well within the law, so the developer lost his case. To get rid of the rooster, the developer eventually bought the farm. Roosters can be vary expensive.

Tom

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Dad had a pet chicken. It went everywhere with him, even in to town on the handlebars of his bike. I've seriously thought about an urban farm, and apparently local regulations permit me to keep a certain number of animals according to the size of the yard. I could turn the garage into a little barn for chickens and rabbits and maybe a goat. Let's say the negotiations are continuing.

11. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had two pet chicken in Sri Lanka when I was 6-7 yrs old. They were only a few days old when my dad and I bought them from a farm. They roamed around the house (and the little open air garden we have in the middle of the house). They screamed for 30-60 min everyday after we put them in their sleepbox at night. Both of them got outside without our knowledge and probably got eaten by animals, months apart. The one who stayed the longest responded to the name "Wilhelm" and came screaming towards us when we call it. :)

12. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Its really just an effort to make the U.S. more like Mexico.. There are some parts of L.A. where you think you're in a mountain village in Oaxaca thee are so many farm animals. I'm not talking the family pet "chicken", I mean several or more roosters and hens and burros for crying out loud in the heart of L.A., and not in a zoo or park, on Olivera St.

There's no reason for Urban dwellers to have multiple chickens or (especially) roosters as pets.

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Think of it as a way to reduce your impact. Fresh, local, organic food that reduces your yard scraps and gives back fertiliser. :)

14. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

And......their fertilizer is the best! It is hot and you should compost it for a year, but it contains the best ingredients for your garden.

15. limetime13

limetime13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sounds like a motorcycle gang - ride with the Urban Chickens ;)

16. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My mom kept chickens when we were growing up. And rabbits. And a goat and lamb now and then. We hatched chickens in a nursery coop and had baby bunnies every now and then. It was a wonderful way to experience life as a young person. We also had a stocked freezer. I don't know how she did it, but I would not have been able to 'take care' of that detail, but looking back, I know she did it out of necessity.

Several years ago, my neighbor to the back of me had some chickens in the yard. I would hear them out there cluck-clucking in the morning... really liked having them there. Occasionally, you'd get the excited bu-GAAAAA bu-GAAAAAAAA when one of them was laying an egg. Always made me chuckle as I remembered our own chickens doing the same 'announcement' for all to hear.

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Can you expand on this? I can't mix the chicken poop directly into the soil and plant? I have to "age" it? And how do I do that? Make a pile and mix with dirt and let it sit for a whole year? While the chickens keep pooping? I was kinda hoping I could use it quicker than that.

Providing I can get them to make nice with each other...would one chicken be okay with the dog or would the chicken prefer a chicken companion. If I decide to do this, I wouldn't want more than two. I.E. are chickens "pack" animals or are they OK alone? (yes, I know they live in a flock but is that required for chicken happiness and mental health or will just the companionship of the dog do?)

18. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    One alone is fine, they will be better pets because YOU are their flock.

Please be careful no neighbor dogs nor cats can get them.

They are wonderful critters. You will enjoy them. I suggest you get hens only. Hen fruit (eggs) are wonderful!

You can put the compost in a black plastic bag or plastic garbage can. If you do, add some water to speed up composting. When it looks like garden soil, it is ready. If you put it in the corner of your yard earth worms will help.

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Currently I have abandoned my quest for a pet chicken. I've been reading about veganic farming....basically organic farming that doesn't use any animal products including fertilizer, bone meal, blood meal, manure, etc.

I'm doing this now. And I think I'm going to continue in this direction with my worms rather than add chickens. It never occurred to me that the e.coli and salmonella problems we are having in our produce supply could be a result of animal manure used for fertilizer rather than unclean production post harvest. So for now....I'm not going to get a chicken. I may change my mind later on so thanks for all of the info.

20. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II