1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone heard from CoastalETech lately?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Gloftoe, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Gloftoe

Gloftoe New Member

I am having an issue with my Ultimate Lockpick. It's almost a year old, and has performed flawlessly until right before Christmas. On cold mornings, it takes time to "warm up" or something. I'm unable to access my audio, climate control, or map screens from the MFD. Also, on the Energy info screen, the wheel animation works, but the battery has no bars in it, and energy direction is not indicated by arrows. After 20 minutes or so of driving, everything starts to work again. I have since removed the lockpick to see if the problem ceases, and it does.

I've tried to email and call Coastal since January 8, and have left 3 or 4 messages with their answering service. I have yet to receive an email or phone call back from them. I understand that they're a small company, but it has been more than a week since I first contacted them (I waited until after New Years to try). Are they still in business? Or, has anyone else had an issue such as this with their Ultimate Lockpick and have any suggestions on what to do? Thanks.

2. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Their support is nearly non-existent. I think your SOL.

3. jhall

jhall New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    yeah. They ship their product quickly, but I have had trouble getting a couple of questions answered on my Lockpick.

I don't think I can do what I inquired about anyway, but maybe someone on this board knows.

I have a 2008 Touring Prius. I have the Ultimate Lockpick 3.
    Everything works as advertised with their product and I am pretty happy, but I want to be able to:

1. Supress the "DVD Hint: Press screen for buttons, OK" poput when using the Video Input.
    2. Browse MP3 CD File folders while driving.

4. FailedExistence

FailedExistence New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I tried several times to get a hold of them over the past two weeks with absolutely no success. I ended up placing an order anyway figuring the worse thing that would happen would be that I would have my credit card company cancel the charge - but they shipped the next day. They are definitely still in business, customer service just isn't a priority.

Seems like it would be fairly simple for someone to at least copy and produce the Prius mods and sell them to the community here.

5. flashsolutions

flashsolutions Flashsolutions

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Same story here. They do not answer email or phone calls. I was able to get thru to talk to them about a month ago before the lockpick for the 08 came out but unsuccessful since then.

I gave up and ordered mine yesterday at 5PM and lo and behold it was delivered this afternoon (next day) before noon. I was impressed by the delivery promptness but I don't know why they neglect their customer service the way they do.

Their website is so full of ambiguity I was really concerned about ordering from them.

I installed the basic lockpick which was a piece of cake and it works just fine. The second part (the lockpick 3+) requires taking the dash apart to get behind the radio.

I got the left air vent off but am having trouble getting the snap on the right side of the lower left panel to unfasten.

Unless anyone has installed this on their own and can provide some guidance, I will probably have to take it to an audio installer and let them tackle it. I am afraid to put to much force on the snap and don't want to break something in the process.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Pity. It used to be the reverse; it was almost impossible to get shipping information, but you got an immediate response if you had a tech question.

7. Gloftoe

Gloftoe New Member

Well, I called again today (I try to call every day or every other day), and asked the guy at the answering service if CoastalETech returns their calls, as I'd been calling since January 8th. He told me "To be honest, I get a bunch of calls a day asking the same question. I don't know what to tell you."

:mad:

Edit: On a side note, does anyone have any ideas on how I could troubleshoot/repair my Lockpick? What would cause it to malfunction on cold mornings, only to start working after 15-20 minutes?

8. Omi

Omi Burlap Jockstrap

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    sorry for the newb question here, but I am strongly considering purchasing the Ultimate Lockpick 3. I went to the site, watched the video and have read everything on this site. I do have a question; I assume that the Lockpick is "taking" the source video (in my case it will be from an iPOD) through the AUX input in the center console, correct? That is what looks to be happening in the video on the Coastal site, but I am not sure if that is what is happening or if the iPOD hooks into something which I cannot see in the video. I have pkg3, which does not have NAV, but does have BT, so since the voice dialing has never worked correctly and I have only ever used the onscreen Fast Dial, I think this Lockpick will also be a big help there (I am guessing it will not help at all on the voice commands for Track Up and Track Down like the video displayed). On the source selection, they select DVD, which I assume gets unlocked with the Lockpick, so if that is true, does that mean that you have both a DVD source and AUX source that both come from the iPOD? Any assistance is appreciated before I hit the purchase button on their site! I just want to make sure that I am looking at this device correctly.

9. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You guys have only tried for a few weeks?! I'm still waiting for a call back from two years ago. Seriously. And this is to return THEIR call. They called me out of the blue - they wanted to discuss something with me. I got the idea that it was to market one of my mods. I called back and left a message. And called back, and called back. I sent emails. I must have tried ten times in all, and two years later... well, I'm still waiting. And this is when they want to reach *me*!

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    never returned my calls or e-mails. They eventually shipped the EV mod but their support staff sucks to be honest. Their products are great and are of good quality but for whatever reason, they refuse to keep in contact with their customers.

11. leftheaded

leftheaded Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i'm new here as of today. anyway, i just learned of the company and am very interested in their "locksmith" & "EV mode" mods. I left them a message, but it sounds like i'm not going to hear back from them any time soon ;) :(

one of my questions for them was, "are these two mods reversible"? thanks for any help

i'm looking to buy a 2008 prius this week :D

12. FailedExistence

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just installed both the EV mod and the Locksmith in my 2008 Prius ... feel free to ask me any questions you have, I will try to answer them.

The AUX input in the center console is an audio input. You can use this for audio only from your iPod, and both left and right channels will play through your speakers. This can be done without the LockPick.

If you're interested in video however then you will be using a separate input through composite (RCA) cables that are included with the kit. These plug into the back of the video display in your dash and then I ran them beneath the carpet into the center console. I then used a 3.5mm to RCA cable that came with a video camera to output the video from my Zune to the video screen. The 3.5mm to RCA cable will have 3 stripes around the jack itself. If you look at your standard headphones you will see 2 stripes, one for left and one for right channel. The RCA output cable will have 3, one for left, one for right, and one for video.

Depending on the LockPick version you're interested in, the removal of the mod ranges from extremely simple to slightly more complex. The simplest LockPick version is a plug under the drivers seat. The more complex requires a removal of the dash, but is still a plug.

The EV Mod requires the installation of 2 wiretaps which are removable but it should be noted that these tap the wires and therefore leave small holes in the insulation around the wire itself.

In short, both the mods are removable fairly easily without much evidence of their original placement.

PM me if you have further questions / need help.

13. Omi

Omi Burlap Jockstrap

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    excellent, thanks! I am going to order the Lockpick 3 and tackle the dash "take apart method". I also wonder if I can output the GPS info from my Blackberry onto the screen. The BB has a 3.5 jack on the side, which is really for headphones and MP3 listening, but I wonder if the GPS info can be migrated to the main screen while in GPS mode. I am betting not since their is technically no video output from a BB.

14. FailedExistence

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Taking apart the dash is not as scary as it might sound. My wife was less then pleased when she came out to find her brand new car in pieces but she was really happy when it was all done. Most everything either snaps out or has a couple screws holding it in. Just be careful to not scratch the MFD screen and the front of the radio and you won't have any problems.

I don't have a Blackberry but I know a lot of cell phones have a 2.5 mm jack, not the standard 3.5 mm. Either way I doubt it has video output on it, but I could very easily be wrong.

15. jukeboy

jukeboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    it is the rare model that has a video output... there are mini projectors for PDAs, for example, that get the output from the sync port though

16. FailedExistence

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Oh very cool ... that could in fact be the answer to attempting to use one's blackberry then, if it has said ability. I will stick with my Zune. :)

17. Gloftoe

Gloftoe New Member

UPDATE!

I called yesterday at around 3:00pm Central time, and talked with Kelley on the phone. She was very helpful on the phone. She apologized for not getting back with me sooner, and explained that there is a Technical Service Bulletin regarding this issue. Apparently it happens to some folks even without the lockpick installed. Her advice was to see if our Prius was affected by the TSB, and try to get our MFD replaced if it is. If our MFD is not affected by the TSB, then CoastalETech will replace my lockpick. If our MFD is affected and gets replaced, she told me to try the lockpick again (with the new MFD), and if the behavior remains that they'll replace the lockpick as well.

Aside from being hard to get ahold of, I'm satisfied with their response. It looks like this issue will get resolved either through Toyota (with a new MFD) or through CoastalETech (with a new Lockpick.)

18. ThomasCouey

ThomasCouey New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a more serious issue with their support. I ordered an Ultimate LockPick and an EV mode turn on mod. Because I'm in Hawaii it took about 10 days to get the box, and when I did the EV part was missing, though the packing list showed the order as complete. At first I thought maybe one of their employees stole it while boxing because there was a 1 oz package of jelly beans in the box. I thought they probably weighed about the same as the part. But the one response I have gotten from them said that they normally include those with orders. Plus, looking at their site, they're obviously a mom and pop operation, so they probably box their own stuff.

In any case, they asked me what I received, so I described what I got, told them that I took pictures of everything that was in the box and asked if they wanted me to send them. It's been a couple of days and I haven't heard anything back. I'm starting to get nervous. I already installed the Lockpick and I'm happy with that, so I don't want to have to rip it out and send it back, I JUST WANT THE EV PART THAT I PAID FOR SHIPPED.

They should have a discrepancy in their inventory (which I pointed out in my email to them), but in any case they did not ship the part.

Does anyone know if you can dispute part of a charge with a credit card company, or do I have to dispute the whole amount? I REALLY don't want to tear the dash apart again.

*sigh*

19. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It may depend on the credit card company. I suggest you call them ASAP as it gets harder the more the time gets away from the actual charge. Some companies (I am NOT implying Coastal) will dangle you with excuses until it's too late.

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What an irony, that folks with such good stuff ... a market ready willing and able to purchase, but . . . .
    In a way, it's too bad there isn't some one / some company that could do a buyout / takeover in order to get things up to speed.