1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone heard of or affected by trucker's strike

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by traugu, Jun 17, 2008.

1. traugu

traugu Rebel Tree Hugger

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was told that my '08 would arrive on Monday the 16th or Wednesday the 18th at the very latest and am now being told that due to a truckers' strike, they (the dealership), has no idea how long it will take for my car to arrive. Has anyone else had this experience or heard of such a strike?:(

2. MsDaisy

MsDaisy Goddess of Green-land

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The only current reports I've seen are about a truckers strike in South Korea. Wouldn't think it would impact Toyota shipments to the US.

3. charlotte

charlotte New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My prius was suppose to be here between june 6th and 11th and it's not made it here yet. I called the dealership to see what was going on and they told me there was a strike but they were told it wouldn't have any eaffect on them. I'm thinking that it is. I want my prius!!!!!!

4. jillbay

jillbay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I called my dealer today because my car was due to be there "any day now." My salesguy told me that the truckers' strike has left my car stuck at the port. He also said that the auto industry is working on alternative transport arrangements and it would be just a few more days, not weeks. We'll see...

5. alexmac56

alexmac56 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Performance Haulers the second largest auto hauler had gone out of business on Friday. The good news is 75% of the union truckers who were let go have gotten hired by other haulers.. Deliveries should be normal in 2-3 weeks...

6. Casey123

Casey123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A few days ago my dealer told me about delivery issues due to trucking problems in the NY Long Island area. He didn't elaborate any further.

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Snoop around on roundtable.truck.net or thetruckersreport.com
    a little. They keep talking about "striking" over high fuel
    costs, but it's mostly among the independent owner/operators
    [who haven't yet figured out a> how to pass fuel surcharges on
    to the customers and b> how to slow down and save tons of diesel]
    as the big shipping companies keep a much tighter leash on their
    drivers and wouldn't tolerate such actions. Thus, the whole
    movement as altruistic as it may be has no organization or
    uniformity. There were a couple of demonstrations, often involving
    convoys of bobtails circling a regional government building and
    leaning on the horns, which while impressive don't really carry
    the really needed message.
    _H*

8. traugu

traugu Rebel Tree Hugger

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't blame them for striking over the fuel costs, but selfishly I am really wanting my Prius!

9. kelly.cardona

kelly.cardona New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think what Toyota needs to focus on doing next on top of working on new improvements to the Prius is create a hybrid semi truck so they can haul their vehicles with no problems and avoid strikes that could delay delivery of new Prius cars. :D

10. traugu

traugu Rebel Tree Hugger

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, but not until I get my car!;) My salesperson really couldn't be more vague with details and it's been days now since I've heard from him...

11. Cornsevs

Cornsevs New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My wife just got fed the truckers Strike line by a dealer in Brooklyn. Any other news?

12. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or, you dealer sold your Prius to someone below you on the waiting list because they were willing to pay $7000 over MSRP for it -- and the said dealer needed a good lie to tell you, so they came up with a phony trucker's strike.

Sounds like total BS to me.

13. blue2noise

blue2noise Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well my mine was due mid july and i got a call out of the blue to tell me there was a truckers strike ut it is over now and it might be another week. This is in New York

14. thepolarcrew

thepolarcrew Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25415455/
    Toyota struggles to meet U.S. consumers' sudden and insatiable demand for hybrid cars.

Still, Toyota, which saw sales drop 4 percent in May, is having its share of problems. The automaker has been unable to ramp up production of its Prius and Camry hybrids to meet demand. Prius sales fell 38 percent in May, and Toprak said Toyota probably could have sold double the number of Priuses it sold that month if it had adequate supply.
    Toyota spokesman John Hanson said the company set its production schedule well before the current run-up in gas prices and can't increase production because it doesn't have enough plant capacity or batteries and other specialized components.
    We got lucky, we searched the tri state area the last week of May and got the first one off the truck (6.09.08) but had to drive over 4hrs each way!

15. jaypeetee

jaypeetee New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My Prius just came in last Friday. The salesperson has been very upfront with me from the start and told me about the various delays, etc. and he informed me about the trucker's strike that pushed back delivery a few more weeks than expected. He reported that they were getting 4 trucks arriving on Friday with cars (all were sold already -- Prius, Camry, Corolla, Yaris mostly). See my separate post on the board here: http://priuschat.com/forums/newbie-forum/49887-its-here.html