1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

anyone heard of this battery extension mod?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by jqmello, Mar 23, 2011.

1. jqmello

jqmello Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, so nothing popped up on a short search...
    I was looking for (possible) alternatives to the Optima 12v for my wife's prius, so typed in prius in the batteryspace.net search field, and came up with this LiFePO4 pack... it took some reading to see why it came up, but apparently you can:

"Connect 4 modules in series to form a 204V battery pack as EV battery pack, specially as Prius extension battery pack to doule running time"

LiFePO4 26650 Battery: 51.2V 6.6Ah (337Wh, 30A rate) with PCM

I'm no electrical engineer, but I don't understand how this would work. Piggyback on the existing pack like the Enginer packs?

2. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be interested in this but there is one problem that I see. The battery is $455 and that's for one battery. You need 4. That's already $1820.

If I understand the website correctly, you need one charger per battery and they are $87. That's $348.

That's a total of $2168.

They only weigh about 7 pounds per battery so you'd be saving a ton of weight. The 2kW Enginer kit is $2000 and that kit has been proven to work on the Prius. The LiPo packs I'm not sure about. My conversion may be off but the Enginer kit is 2kW and the LiPo batteries are 1.38kW.

If I am correct, you would be paying more for less with technology that has not been proven on the Prius. I'd like to know what others think about this.

3. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, interesting, but a bit pricey. if wired in parallel with the original pack you would benefit from regen into them, but wthout spoofing the prius isn't going to try and draw down the battery pack so they wont actually do anything.

4. jqmello

jqmello Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not actually looking at doing a phev conversion, just curious that it was advertised as a prius extension without any further information.

So, now we know. Expenisve + Useless.