1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone Here Knowledgeable About Black Powder Guns?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by mrblaise, Jun 25, 2009.

1. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just came into possession of three black powder guns that were in my wife's family for many years. Does anyone here have any knowledge on these types of guns? If so, I have some questions I would like to run by you. Thanks!

2. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a little but I have a freind that shoots them. But if your question is about value I don't think either one of us can help you.

Wildkow

3. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used to have several "coal burners", ranging from .45 Kentucky style flintlock to double barrell 12 ga shotgun. Even bagged a deer once with a .50 Hawkins (loved that rifle).
    I'll try to help you out with any questions, you may have but I'm no expert by any means.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe BobWilson is knowledgable in them.

I've shot them and had friends that hunted with them but that's about it. I was always too lazy to want to reload them.

5. Zhe Wiz

Zhe Wiz Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know enough about them to know the only muzzle loader I will ever own is the "Smokeless" variety sold by Savage. :) MUCH easier to deal with than true black powder rifles...though not legal in all areas, it's legal in mine!

Zhe Wiz

6. bevspark

bevspark Toyota, Major Sponsors of The

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :frown: :ban: Do we have to have a thread about Guns?

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It looks like we have a target. Okay everyone, try to get your muzzle loader primed. :D

Tom

8. bevspark

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  9. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I have had numerous ones over the years... what's your question counselor...

And post up some pics... :D

10. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I shot a few back in my boy scouting days... It lead to a better sense of accomplishment than your normal rifle - so much more work goes into getting that shot off!

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My step-father had a black powder revolver and a black powder rifle or musket (not sure which). All I know about them is that they can be dangerous. Improperly loaded they can explode. I'd advise against trying to shoot them, but if you must, get lessons first from a professional.

12. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rather than practice censorship (a particularly onerous tactic of repressive regimes, designed to limit the flow of free speech and ideas and control the minds of the populace) I would suggest simply not reading posts that might be personally offensive (especially here on Fred's). There is also an "off" button (I use it any time I hear Rush Limbaugh on any media source).

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've shot a black powder (Hawkins) often enough to know I don't want to mess with them. Proper loading technique is critical, and I strongly recommend you have a pro coach you on the basics

I've also shot this little guy a few times, much more satisfying

But hard on the paint, and really expensive to operate

14. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone. The rifle I have is a real mystery. On one side of the gun it has the following written in ornate script: "I.D. Hartmann" On the other side it says, "in Hamburg" I've been told it's a Hammer Gun.

I'm not sure how to attach photos in a post, or I would.

15. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bev,

Black powder guns are a whole different class than what you hear about in crime reports all too often. One chooses to use one of these from more of a historical perspective, people are drawn to them in much the same sense as one is drawn to archary or perhaps tall ships. If one were to use them in an attempt to do bodly harm to another person would be to give ones potential victum a good laugh as you measured the power, patched the ball, ramed it home and finally filled the flash pan or put the primer on.

16. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To post photos, take the pictures and load the files up to your computer. Then to post them, start a reply to this thread, then there is a button that is visible when you scroll down below the messafe box that is called "Manage Attachments", click on this and brouse to where you have the picture file(s), select them and click the upload button.

Later on today, I'll try and do a little research on what you supplied and see if I can find anything out.

17. bevspark

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I was censoring what may come out of MY mouth, not yours. Of course you can say and write about what ever you want. Doesn't mean I like it. A little bit of empathy would be nice. I enjoy FHOP, because it is fun, I don't need to be put down by you. :mad:

18. bevspark

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks for that USEFULL information tleonhar. Made me feel a little better.

19. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    And if it is too humid or the powder is damp it won't fire. As often as not the bayonette was the most useful part.

20. Froley1

Froley1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Black powder firearms could be produced in limited quantities by a singular, unaided gunsmith who could manufacture every and all parts of the weapon if he wished including barrels..Most gunsmiths copied concepts from each other and large scale manufacturers such as under hammer ignition, double set triggers, single set etc. and most purchased mass produced parts to assemble such as barrels and locks.
    With these types of historical firearms a expert is required to determine value which can be astounding or disappointing...Most surviving "art" black powder firearms were owned by wealthy individuals...even stock inlays would have meaning---a half moon placed in the stock usually faced up to "catch good luck", an inlay representative of the four compass points was to insure safe return home.
    The black powder ignition lock was the most complex mechanical item the average human had routine contact with until the mid-1800's.
    get an expert examination
    Froley