1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone in the water plant treatment field?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by lefat1, May 24, 2009.

1. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The reason I ask is because I have recently become interested in pursuing a career in this field and was hoping to get some other experienced opinions.

Thanks
    John

2. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    If you don't get a response from jayman, you might want to send a PM to him.

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Freshwater or wastewater?

In wastewater treatment, here in the city, there are many jobs available at the 14 wastewater treatment plants. You have operators, mechanics, instrumentation, electricians, oilers, engineers, and machinists.

4. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    thanks, i'm taking classes soon to sit for license for freshwater treatment operator..seems a good field with positive growth for the next 10+ years...

5. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Even with all the layoffs, it's a great job here in NYC. We're federally mandated to have a specific number of people at each plant based upon flow. So even if they wanted to they cannot lay us off or they would be fined by the government. The benefits here are great and the pay isn't bad, even though most of the titles have been fighting with the city for prevailing rate wages from 7 to 15 years. Yeah, I said many titles have had NO pay raise from 7 to 15 years... It's a shame the city gets away with it, but they do.

Anyways, good luck and if you ever need help or information regarding DEP up here, shoot me a pm.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    John

I sent you a PM. Keeping in mind I'm an engineer, not an operator. If you need more details, please let me know

Overall, the wages are good, with excellent benefits. Shift work is usually involved. Personally, I think its a good career path

jay

7. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks P,
    So are you a plant operator? I went on an interview for a trainee position, but I think they were looking for someone who has direct experience. So I will continue on my quest thru the class offered, which the guys who interviewed me said would be my best bet. No assurance of getting a job tho, but if I were to pass the intense exam and secure my license, would that help?? I understand the test for operator C is 4 hours and only about 60 % pass on the 1st time.

Thanks again
    John
    sent PM also

8. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Our Sewage Treatment Workers here are both operators and maintenance people, so they serve dual roles. If your on a watch (rotating shifts) all you really do is operations. Then when you come on days you may get a maintenance job. I sent you a pm, it's long but I hope it offers a little info into how we operate here in the city...