1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone Install Bumper Protector/Guard from Sigma Automotive?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by LarryRacies, May 26, 2006.

1. LarryRacies

LarryRacies New Member

I've been reading here about bumper appliques, protectors and guards and am confused about what they do. Some of them seem to protect the top of the bumper and not the rear or forward surface where they're more likely to be damaged.

Can anyone clear this up?

Thanks,

Larry

2. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LarryRacies @ May 26 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]261378[/snapback]</div>
    I got the 'bumper protector' for the Prius from www.metrotpn.com. It protects the top of the bumper, where you would rest packages while you're opening the hatch back. It's black and goes fine on my White Prius, and serves my needs.

I don't think anything would be likely to protect the rear or forward bumper service paint from scratching if you 'park by Braille' or, worse, have a collision. But I may be wrong.

3. LarryRacies

LarryRacies New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ May 26 2006, 01:57 PM) [snapback]261389[/snapback]</div>

That's why I asked if anyone had installed the Sigma Automtive bumper protector.
    They claim to protect both the front and rear bumpers.

4. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I installed the Sigma protector on the rear. It has a small (about 1/2") rollover ftom the top to the vertical surface of the bumper. It is fairly rigid black plastic, and actually had "Corolla" molded into the back side of it. Fit was no problem, Just wipe down the bumper with alcohol, and use the applied double stick tape. I just eyeballed the centering location. Took about 30 sec, to install.

5. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I put the Matrix rear bumper thingy on mine. Sorry, this pic is the only one I have here on my work machine. Came from my dealer. Just specify Matrix (I think all years?) rear bumper protector. About $38. Peal and stick. It has worked well, especially during snowboard season and resting a boot on it while gearing up!

Cheers,
    Curt

6. LarryRacies

LarryRacies New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finman @ May 26 2006, 05:56 PM) [snapback]261493[/snapback]</div>
    That's a great photo, finman, it proves my point exactly.
    This thingy protects only the TOP of the bumper. I want something to protect the rear.

7. Jeannie

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LarryRacies @ May 26 2006, 03:33 PM) [snapback]261442[/snapback]</div>
    This is the photo from the Sigmaautomotive site:
    [​IMG]

Check the wording on their website - it says "It overhangs too for added protection" and it is definitely a REAR bumper protector, and says its a genuine OE part. I couldn't find anything that says it protects the FRONT bumper.

Here's the picture from the Metrotpn site:
    [​IMG]

That picture doesn't show an 'overhang' like the Sigma picture. What I got, tho, is exactly what's pictured on the Sigma site. I got it about two weeks ago.

8. LarryRacies

LarryRacies New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ May 28 2006, 08:12 AM) [snapback]262002[/snapback]</div>

Hi jeanie:

On the Sigma Automotive web site there is an item they call Bumper Guard for $163. which
    they say covers both the front and rear bumpers of the Prius. It also includes a picture which'
    seems to indicate that it does just that. I'd post a link except I don't know how.

I was trying to locate anyone who had installed this item.

9. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LarryRacies @ May 28 2006, 09:43 AM) [snapback]262007[/snapback]</div>
    Those really wont protect your whole bumpers. Its just a small piece that goes on the sides where you might scrape a curb or something. If you scrape curbs a lot you might want to get them or get some curb feelers.

If you want good protection for the front bumper get a clear bra or one of the black vinyl bras. I don't know of any full protection for the rear bumper. Don't think you really need it unless you like backing into walls and if your backing into walls even with a rear view camera you might need some glasses. :) I have the clear protector that goes on top of the rear bumper. I also have the black one that goes on top but haven't installed it yet.

10. Jeannie

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LarryRacies @ May 28 2006, 09:43 AM) [snapback]262007[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry - I didn't see that item!

To post a picture of them, you go to the Sigma sight, click on the picture, and you'll get a pop-up window of the picture. Right-click on the picture in THAT window, click on 'copy image location', then in your 'reply' window here on the forum, click on the 'insert image' icon, then paste the image URL into the window. (I just figured it out myself this morning.)

[​IMG]

11. LarryRacies

LarryRacies New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ May 28 2006, 07:21 PM) [snapback]262148[/snapback]</div>

Thanks very much, Jeannie, for that important tip.
    I learn something every day.

12. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LarryRacies @ May 28 2006, 06:45 PM) [snapback]262192[/snapback]</div>
    This is called hot-linking, which is forbidden on many forums. I've seen it done regularly here, however, so maybe it is considered OK here? Hot-linking on a busy forum like this one can create quite a bit of expensive traffic for the hosting site. The more polite way is to post the link instead of the image - that way the link only creates traffic when it is followed - not every time the thread is accessed.

13. jmccord

jmccord New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ May 26 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]261456[/snapback]</div>
    I installed the same type of rear bumper protector, although I purchased mine from Ebay seller. Cost was $32 including shipping. Like Subarutoo's, mine had "Corolla" stamped on the underside, and was supplied with double stick tape. Although the fit is acceptable, its not completely tight. There is a very slight gap at the edges between protector and bumper where grit could work its way underneath. I don't know if this might eventually cause a problem :unsure:

If it was made of flexible rubber, instead of hard plastic, you'd probably get a closer fit, but at the expense of lesser durability.

Nonetheless, I'm quite happy with it as the fit is good enough, and now I no longer hesitate to place my foot, or other items on the, oh-so-convenient, back bumper "ledge". The 1/2" rollover is essential IMHO, and the reason I did not get the chrome "Prius" protector sold through Sigma.

14. LarryRacies

LarryRacies New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmccord @ May 29 2006, 12:46 AM) [snapback]262251[/snapback]</div>

This is all very nice, and while I do appreciate the comments of all who have posted, my basic
    question still has not been answered: has anyone installed the Sigma Bumper Guard which is
    supposed to protect the front (or rear) surface of the bumper and not the top ?

I guess the answer is none, insofar as the lurkers on this board.

15. Jeannie

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 29 2006, 12:25 AM) [snapback]262243[/snapback]</div>
    I just assumed what I did to show those pictures is allowed, since I was using an option offered within the 'reply' window that asks me to enter the http address of an image.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LarryRacies @ May 29 2006, 12:38 PM) [snapback]262370[/snapback]</div>
    Personally, given what the photo from Sigma shows, I wouldn't buy that option, especially since Sigma says you may not get the color that matches your car (and that's even shown in one of the pictures). Someone else pointed out that the Sigma protectors only protect a part of the 'corners' of the bumper. I'd think that a 'bra', whether the back-detachable type or the 'invisible' bra, would do a better job of protecting the bumper. I know you can get those for the front bumper - don't know about the back. Where I live in 'suburbia', most of the places I park are in parking lots with lined slots for parking, rather than parallel parking, which you'd do often in NYC. Good luck finding something appropriate for you!

16. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LarryRacies @ May 29 2006, 12:38 PM) [snapback]262370[/snapback]</div>
    Regretfully I do not think they make a FULL front and rear bumper protector, I have an idea of what your looking for but I have yet to see one....

Maybe you could design one and be our next millionaire! :lol: :)

The bumper protectors Ive seen are those little corner ones for sale I can see it mite save you from a scratch on the corner but thats it.. :(

I do like the matrix styled rear top scuff guard and the little wand thingy on the front bumper.. :)

What color Blue is that???? :huh:

The Black bra looks really cool on the prius, there are some who do not like them but with proper car they will protect the front of your car.. ;)