1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone install the Morimoto Retro-Quik? Mine Doesn't look right..

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by mrstop, Mar 15, 2013.

1. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I finally had some time and nerve to start the install on my Morimoto H1 Retro-Quick HID. After installing the driver side, I found the projector is way off center (high) of the factory shroud. Has anyone else installed these with the same result?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Danger

Danger Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When you mounted the projector could you have lowered it or aimed it downwards? Can you send me a pic of the stock projector. I want to see if other projectors will just drop right in. Can you take pics of the mounts you used as well.

3. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It doesn't have any adjust-ability in the mount that I can tell. I could possibly shim it with some washers and longer screws.

It does seem like there may enough room for other projectors as the stock is pretty large (much larger than the mini-H1). I posted pictures and dimensions of the stock projector to a new album: Stock prius headlight projector | PriusChat.

Pictures of the Morimoto mounts and such are here: TRS Morimoto H1 Retro-Quick Install | PriusChat

4. wotcher

wotcher Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    i know that only w1ckert and myself bought the kit. ive put off installing mine due to interviews. did you buy the rubber grommet? the kit is suprisingly missing it. (n)

last i heard, w1ckert has orientation issues. his cutoffs were all wonky.
    HID cutoff not as good as I thought? | Page 10 | PriusChat

last resort is email the owner - [email protected] he is very good at getting back to you.

5. Danger

Danger Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks Mrstop for the pics.

6. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I contacted them about the rubber grommet and they said, yep it's not included but you can buy one. I haven't done that yet, but it is definitely a must as there is a big hole in the back.

I was on that thread too. I believe his issue was his high beams were on, but he ended up stripping the adjustment on one side. I think he was fine after it switched to low

That's my next step. I was hoping to confirm if it was just mine or all of them. Can you take a picture of the metal adapter plate/bracket? I would like to compare yours to mine.

7. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Can u get a pic without the lights on?

This kit drops right in so as long as u have the correct adaptor plate there shouldn't be any issues

8. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was hoping there weren't any issues. It did pretty much drop right in and the adapter match up well. However, the mounting of the new projector puts the center ~1/4" high. I'm hoping they just sent the wrong adapter plate.

Here's some pics with the lights on. Note that I'm only about 10 ft or less from the door and nothing has been tightened down or adjusted in the pic. Stock is on the right and Morimoto on the left.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. wotcher

wotcher Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    wont be free until wed/thurs. then i grab plenty of pics.

10. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. I called and emailed TRS today and they are looking into it. I'll update if hear anything beforehand.

11. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Too bad ur not in SoCal.....I'm sure me & a few others could look & tell u exactly what's wrong

12. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I think the same thing...sometimes. I grew up in Mission Viejo and lived in the Rancho Cucamonga area after college. My brother still lives out there in Balboa. I do miss the weather and the variety of life out there. However, I now have an easy work commute, an affordable home and a great community (albeit without Prii-gear heads) where I live now.

At this point, I'm pretty sure that the bracket is either the wrong one, was miscut, or needs design modification to shift the projector mounting down slightly. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm the only one to do a self install at this point. So, I don't know if this is a one-off issue or not. Hopefully we'll get resolution so that no-one else has a problem.

In retrospect, I almost wish I went the RX-350 projector route. I bought the retro-quick on impulse (unlike me) with a black-friday deal. While the RX-350 are more expensive, I have heard that they are bolt in and have great output. They are also 3" to match the stock projector.

13. Danger

Danger Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mrstop do you know for a fact the rx-350 will drop right in? I am trying to get a definite answer on that.

14. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not know for a fact right now. It's just a guess based on something I read somewhere. I would call TRS.

15. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  16. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did u already seal up the headlight?

17. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did seal up the one I retrofitted to get the car back on the road. I do know I'll have to open it back up though. Why do you ask?

18. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    To get some pics.....maybe we can see what the issue is.

19. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm pretty sure TRS just needs to adjust their bracket design. The mounting holes to the factory housing are all correct. It's the holes for the new projector that are off. They place the new projector even with the top of the factory projector. Because the factory projector is 3" and the MH1 is 2.5" the result is that the MH1 is not mounted on center to the factory projector. You can see this in the middle pic on my first post.

20. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Pics a worth a 1000 words