1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone installed wire mesh grill protection for AC condenser?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Former Member 68813, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed a lot of impacts from stones in my corolla and planning to do some protection soon. Since Prius has also low-laying grill, I wondered if that is a problem and it is in at least 2 generation:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/10295-damage-c-cooling-coil-2.html

Apparently, it's easy to pull a grill out in 2 gen (held by clips). Anyone did anything similar in 3 gen?

2. vnhk

vnhk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1 person likes this.
  3. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Many thanks! Weird, I did not see that thread while I searched the forum. I see that HD mesh is steel. I was thinking aluminum would be better. But, one cannot beat the price. Did you do only the lower opening or both? Did you cut the mesh to fit the shape of the opening?

4. vnhk

vnhk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I only did the lower opening since the upper one is much smaller and higher up so very rarely get anything up there. Since I installed it, I went on a 3k road trip, and it caught a ton of bugs and even a few small rocks.

I have to cut in size to fit the shape of the opening, but it's easy enough, just use cutting plier.

The gutter guard's size is almost a perfect fit, you only need to trim the edges.

1 person likes this.
  5. joncro55

joncro55 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have done this in the past and it really all depends on the size of the wire mesh that you are going to use.

Any mesh can do the job to a different extent. The main challenge is bending, forming, and cutting the wire cloth to the specs that you need.

6. joncro55

joncro55 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would look here for some more information on the size and wire diameter that you need in order to do this project:

How To Measure Wire Cloth | Bellville Wire Cloth Co, Inc - wire cloth, wire cloth, wire mesh, woven wire, stainless steel wire mesh, mesh wire, woven wire mesh, wire mesh basket, wire mesh screen, woven wire cloth, stainless steel wire cloth, wire cl

Wire Mesh and Wire Cloth material can be pretty tough to handle so make sure you make the right choice before you order. Good Luck with everything.

7. jayvee

jayvee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I did my Gen III using 1/4" mesh galvanized hardware cloth, from the local hardware store or home depot, etc. and spray painted it black. You may want to spray it with brake cleaner and wipe it, before you paint it, to remove any machining oil.

I've done this on my cars for the past 20+ years - and it's saved my radiators and A/C numerous times, including once preventing a pruning shear from impaling it, after falling off the back of a landscaping service truck.

In the past I have used 1/8" hardware cloth, but I decided this time to actually calculate the surface area of the wire (that would impede airflow), and found that 1/8" was just too small - too much blocking surface.

It was easiest to remove the entire bumper (not as bad as it sounds). Allows you to really trim (with tin snips) to fit, and attach with wire ties. And wear thick gloves. That stuff pokes through anything.

8. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I got the guard and I put it in from above. It was not exactly easy or the most elegant way. I looked at the grill closely and I see no way to pull it out from outside, like in the gen 2. Too bad as it would make it easier and nicer fit and less visible zip ties.
    I have a first long hwy trip tomorrow and I'm glad have that in.