1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone interested in Alarm install instrucions?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by spwolf, Oct 28, 2005.

1. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

We are completing our first Prius alarm installation, anyone interested in some kind of writeup?

It is Crime Guard 850i alarm from Omega, we found an way to make it work with smart entry, and were able to make it fully functional (although we did not care to try remote start function).

My main concern was making Smart entry work fine and I am glad we made it work since we can apply it to other new Toyota vehicles using smart entry (rav4, yaris, lexus's).

We spent 2 days to figure it out properly, half of the car was taken apart due to lacking instructions from manufacturers. It is fairly easy to take apart everything, just kind of scary because of the electrics... then again, we are Toyota shop so we can deal with any errors poping up in ecu.

2. Trojan

Trojan New Member

Whoa, sounds...scary. I'm not very car-maintenance-oriented so I don't think I'd attempt it.

3. BobR

BobR Member

I'd like to see how to install an Alarm. I have a package 4 and don't want to pay the dealer to install the factory alarm.

Bob

4. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Me too :lol:

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Definately the kinda thing we wanna put in the knowledge base...esp. if you have photos and such.

6. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

This is only for people who are somewhat experienced in dealing with car electrics, cutting wires and soldering them should be your 2nd nature.

There is absolutly no way you should even think of trying to install an alarm into any car, and especially into Prius without some kind of prior experience.

This will be most helpful for Europeans that dont have factory alarm option at all. I really dont think any normal alarm installer will go through all the trouble we did to install it in Prius. It will definetly be more expensive than T dealer.

Although, if you dont care about disarming/arming alarm separatly, and dont care about having extra starter interrupt, installation itself is a breeze. Very minimal wiring needed.

-----------------------------------------

Main priority was to enable Smart Entry to work with alarm. Alarm should arm and disarm automatically with Smart Entry + via key fob.

Since we install Omega Alarms only, we had two options CG850 which is alarm with remote start and more importantly it has 2 extra wires (-) that that arm/disarm alarm (to be used with tracking systems). And AL100C, which is basically something similar to factory alarm since it operates with factory keyfob. Our preffered choice was CG850 since it has remote pager.

We had to pull apart whole front dash (one big piece) in order to get to the PSC (powersource control) and starter.

We encountered 2 problems during installation:

a. CG850 doesnt have relays built in for 5 wire doorlocking systems (like one in Prius) so we have to tap into doorlock switch and add alarm locking/unlocking there directly. After 2 days of playing around with it, we became a bit careless and fried the switch (nothing that a bit of hot iron didnt solve :). This was only an minor problem, we could have used extra relays to make it work too.

b. We had to figure out how to arm/disarm alarm via Smart Entry and Original Keyfob, yet make it completly ignore doorlock switch. Only way to make it arm/disarm was to tap into the central locking system. However this is an problem since doorlock switch at drivers door can then disable the alarm. So we had to block it. We designed one circuit consisting of 4 relays and two resistors that made it all work just fine. While we are experienced in installing alarms, it usually does not involve so much creative thinking. Took us 2 days to figure it out. Someone more experienced might have done it sooner but I doubt most installers would even attempt it. It didnt help that we had gazillion wires to test in order to figure out how everything works together.

Rest of the installation is really simple:
    - Wires for detection - 4 doors, hood and trunk are all at same location (driver kick panel).
    - once you get to the PSC (near firewall, just under the windscreen, driver side), it is easy to reach and work.
    - Great place for horn is in the engine bay, below windshield, under the plastic/metal cover. Cover itself is attached via few screws and underneath is perfect location for the horn.
    - you can mount sensor/s under the dash, plenty of space to put them at. We decided not to have radar sensor due to slightly higher constant power consumption (with warning chirps especially).

I will take some pics tomorrow before we wrap up the installation (and of course install some extra 3M sound proofing material around the speakers), and will write down all the wires for interested folks. I will also take pics and specs of interface that will let alarm work with smart entry.

Hopefully some of the Europeans will be able to show it to their alarm installers and get some protection for their babies....

Heh, I cant belive how simple it sounds now... my guys were having nightmares for past two days :).

7. hilore

hilore New Member

Thank you very much for sharing us this info. I too want to install
    a paging alarm system. Very appreciated.

--Hilore

8. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I will aslo be very interested in the progress of the installation. I'm in the consumer electronics market an also have installed variuos alarms, mainly Viper 791xv, 2 way security with remote starter, it is a very reliable and expensive equipment but worth it all the way. I have an original mostly palin vanilla '04 Prius at witch have installed quite a few goodies and I want to get ready for the New York winter with my remote start . So if you please can share the most info for the installation and wiring taped will be greatly appreciated in our forum. :D

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Ah, it's a paging alarm. That would be the only reason to install it, as ALL prius have an alarm, but some packages have it turned off at the factory. A dealer can turn it on with the scan tool without installing the Glass Breakage Sensor if he is willing and knows how. All the VIP alarm comes with is the GBS and instructions for turning on the alarm and the GBS, and cutting/removing a wire so that the turn-on option shows up. However if GBS is not installed, the wire does not need to be removed.

10. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Hey, how 'bout window control? I'm wanting to have window roll-up and venting features from the FOB. Any hints/tips there? I've installed them to aftermarket alarm remotes. Seems interfacing to the factory FOB to trigger window venting and/or roll-up is possible??

Thanks!

Curt.

11. driveprius

driveprius New Member

Hmm? I've gone through a fustrating session with Toyota service after ordering a Toyota Prius alarm system with the GBS. They claimed there was no alarm and wanted to charge me $300 for the installation of the GBS. The technician claimed that there was no way to test the GBS without actually breaking a window for real so I had to simply trust them that it's installed correctly. The service manager seemed to want to claim stupidity and stated that service is there to only install the GBS and that it's not their problem to prove that it works. I locked the door with the window down, had someone hold the FOB's out of range. Verified the FOBs were out of range by touching the smart entry handles. The doors didn't unlock. I reached in and unlocked the door manually, opened the door and nothing happened.

Then service claimed there is no such thing as an alarm. That the immobilizer is enough and that if I really wanted an alarm I'd need to spend another $700 to $800. The Toyota parts department claimed that what was installed was the GBS with an alarm.

After I started getting angry sales people tried to reason with me as to why in the world would somebody want an alarm system for a car with an immobilizer, and so I should be happy with the fantastic immobilizer system and just pay for the $400. I showed them the owners manual description of the alarm and they concluded that the alarm can only be tested if you lock the door and pry the door with a crowbar or smash a window. And so one person sort of smirked and asked with a smile, have I tried to pry open the door with a crowbar or smash a window. My answer was no. And so the reply was so what's my complaint.

The bottom line is now I'm going to have to argue with service to get my money back for an alarm system they claim doesn't exist, never knew existed and if it did exist don't know how to demonstrate that it works. As far as they are concerned the GBS should theorectically detect a glass breakage but don't know what happens when it detects glass breakage. If the GBS detects glass breaking but no alert is ever made then as far as they are concerned the installation is correct.

Anyway, it may be a lost cause to get an alarm working in a Toyota Prius.

12. BobR

BobR Member

I guess there wasn't a package 5 or 6 Prius on the lot to show them the alarm. I hope you charged it so you could contest the charge.

Bob

13. driveprius

driveprius New Member

Yes it's charged. But I'd rather handle it more amicably first because it seems that my best option to ever get an alarm installed is them. So I'm going as best as possibly try to handle it directly rather than resort to a credit card dispute.

The odd thing about the dealer is that they have had a package 6 before, but have never bothered to try out the alarm. In fact they never use the smart entry or start. The salesperson always had me insert the FOB into the slot to start the car.

Wilson

14. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

First off, in order for GBS to work, the built-in alarm has to be active.
    All Prius have the alarm hardware, but some packages have it turned off.

The way Toyota wants the alarm accessories sold, you purchase the GBS package only and have it installed if you have a package with the alarm enabled, and the VIP RS3200 alarm if you don't. The latter is really the former with added steps in the instructions. Also, it seems that if you don't have an alarm enabled package, then a wire has to be removed/cut if the GBS is to be installed before the alarm can be enabled.

The owner's manual instructs how to test the alarm: page 45 of the 2004 manual, should be close by on the 2005 manual.
    Basically you lower the driver window, power off the car, close all doors and lock the doors. Wait 30 seconds, then reach in and open the door using the inside handle. Alarm should sound.

As for testing GBS, the instructions DO tell the tech to test the GBS by tapping on the window with a key as they have to adjust the sensitivity. Have them read the last page of the GBS install instructions or starting at page 17 of the RS3200 install.

15. driveprius

driveprius New Member

OK. Anyway after 2 weeks of research my Toyota dealer states that there is no such thing as activating an alarm. You either have the alarm installed at the factory or it's no longer an option. They said they talked to a Prius technician when he came by to visit and he stated that unless it's wired correctly at the factory you don't have an alarm. They are going to refund my money for the failed installaton.

So where's the nearest place to Delaware that knows how to install an alarm on a 2005 Toyota Prius with package #4?

Wilson Cheung

16. driveprius

driveprius New Member

Can you send me your installation instructions. I probably won't do it myself but I might hand it to an alarm dealer to see if they can follow it.

Thanks,
    Wilson

17. BobR

BobR Member

Are they going to leave the GBS installed? If so, just call around to dealers and see if they will turn it on.
    Bob

18. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

They are absolutely wrong from a technical perspective. A poster, Kyle, who is a TOYOTA MASTER TECH has done it. Now from an ethical perspective, they could refuse, but they should state that they refuse due to ethical reasons and not hide behind false technical reasons. Doing that makes them look ignorant and incompetent to be techs.
    What do they call the TVIP V5 RS3200, chicken liver? It is part # 08586-47840 as opposed to part # 08586-47840 on the GBS install. Hey! Notice they are the same part number? Fancy that! the former was taken from w141rs32.pdf, the latter from w141gbs.pdf, both obtained from TechInfo.

Have them humor you and follow the following steps. These steps assume GBS has NOT been installed yet. I have bolded the parts that actually enable the alarm, skipping through the dull details.
    If the GBS has been installed, then again, a yellow wire has to be removed. The installation instructions mis-labels the connector to the body ECU. I believe the correct connector number is 1K rather than 16P shown in the instructions.

H. Security Setting Procedure.
    NOTE: Check for the latest version of the
    software on Toyota Information System (TIS)
    before setting up the security system.
    NOTE: Ensure the software is the latest version
    (Production Version 10.2a. (07/18/03) or later.)
    NOTE: Download the latest software from
    Toyota Information System (TIS).
    1. Connect the scan tool connector to the
    vehicle's diagnostic connector in the lower
    dash area. (Fig. H-1)
    2. Insert the remote key or smart key (as
    appropriate) into the key slot. Press the power
    button once to select "ACC" position.
    i. Verify the shift position is in "N" position
    and LED on "P" switch is illuminated.
    3. Push the scan tool main switch "ON" and then
    press the ENTER key. (Fig. H-2)
    "SELECT VEHICLE PROCESS
    4. Select the correct vehicle application, Prius
    MY2004 .
    "SECURITY FUNCTION ON" PROCESS
    5. Verify the connection of the DLC3 Cable.
    Press the "YES" button to continue. (Fig. H-3)
    6. Select "OPTION SETUP" in the customize
    menu with the scroll key, then press the
    "ENTER" key. (Fig. H-4)
    7. Press the "ENTER" key to select "DOP
    SECURITY" in the Option Setup menu.
    (Fig. H-5)
    8. Select "ON" with the scroll key, then press the
    "ENTER" key. (Fig. H-6)

9. Press the "YES" key. (Fig. H-7)
    10. Press the "ENTER" key. (Fig. H-8)

19. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Here's a link to the thread that includes Kyle's post. The connector is B6 on the body ECU which is within the driver J/B:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=6827&st=20

Hmm, just discovered the wiring diagram is missing all 3 of the B connectors to the body ECU in the connector diagram of the driver J/B. Probably because the connectors are to the ECU itself, and the wiring diagram doesn't show ECU terminal diagrams. You have to go to the diagnostic sections for that.

20. driveprius

driveprius New Member

I suspect part of the problem was that both parts had the same part #. So they ordered the part that had the instructions to install the GBS for cars with the alarm already activated. The parts person was quite sure that the GBS was supposed to enable the alarm. The service technicians were quite convinced otherwise. I'm going to be swimming upstream to get them to agree that it's possible to install an alarm on the Toyota Prius. Heck they don't even know how to test that an alarm works on a Prius with the alarm activated.

However, I very much appreciate this information. When spring comes around I will pursue with another Toyota dealer, ask for reassurance that they done this successfully before. Alternatively, I may pursue going with a 3rd party to install alarm hardware. The cost is possibly going to be the same anyway since the Toyota service is going to have to take down the dash to cut the yellow wire anyway.