1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone know a Prius friendly oil change place in Weho area?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by swfoster2, Oct 22, 2007.

1. swfoster2

swfoster2 New Member

Have my 5000 mile service call coming up, so was wondering if anyone knows a good place I can go besides dealer? I have read the trheads about all that can go wrong with oil changes, and I can't do it myself- wish I could :(

2. jk450

jk450 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cheminee @ Oct 22 2007, 07:32 PM) [snapback]529032[/snapback]</div>
    Not all of the warnings in those threads are true. Just let the shop know that you know the crankcase capacity is less than four quarts, and that you're fussy about that and want 5W-30, API SL or ILSAC GF-4, and you'll be fine. By the way, you'll see some folks claim that the Prius takes 3.7 quarts. It's 3.9. 3.7 is LITERS. When in doubt, read the instructions...

I drive any one of about twenty Prius vehicles regularly, and many of them are serviced by techs who unknowingly dump in four quarts. I don't see any effect on the fuel economy. Sure, when I do a service myself, I add the correct amount, but the problem is overstated. Early Gen I vehicles were more sensitive.

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jk450 @ Oct 25 2007, 05:58 PM) [snapback]530128[/snapback]</div>
    Yes those people who say 3.7 quarts are aware the recommended amount of oil after an oil and filter change is 3.9 quarts but by putting 3.7 quarts in the engine it puts the oil level within the accepted oil level, between the high and low mark on the dipstick and reduces the likelihood of the oil causing increased fuel consumption and sludge formation. You would know that if you read their posts. I agree with you that having the oil level at the full mark isn't likely to affect the fuel consumption but I have only had my prius a short time, how long have you had yours?

I don’t know how you can say that people’s experiences with dealers and other service providers are not all true unless you were there?

4. swfoster2

swfoster2 New Member

Thanks for the tips- I'll be sure to give this info to the place where I end up going. Interesting- a fleet of 20 prii- cool.