1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone know if using HU with amp rca output for rear will JBL amp work with it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Jeffrimerman, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm going to use my JVC head unit and it has front outputs and rear(sub) outputs. I'm going to put the former front door subs in the rear door and put some nicer aftermarket JBL 2 ways in the front doors. So the signal going to the rear channels in the stock JBL amp will be lows. I just want to make sure the amp doesn't have some filter or something that won't let that work. I order the harness that is supposed to work so we'll see.

2. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The factory front "subs" are 6"x9" oval speakers and the rear doors have 6.5" round speakers, so I don't think you can swap them without some cutting/baffles/modification. The factory amp does lots of digital processing (frequency bracketing/crossing-over, time alignment, etc) so I think that you should either keep the factory speakers running off the factory amp or swap out both, but not try to mix-n-match....just my opinion.

3. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was already able to take out the front 6.5" speaker and put in the back on the right side. I put my JVC in a couple nights ago and it seems to work fine. The rears are acting like subs with a low pass filter. It's not as bumping as if I had a nice 10" in a box but it's ok for casual listening. I put JBL 6.5s in the front and they seem fine. They are 2ohm aftermarket speaks. The head unit seemed to make the biggest difference. I'm fine with the stock tweeters. Even when I used my MB quart 6.5 in the front and tried my kenwod 3way 6.5 they seemed perfectly fine. So if anyone searches hopefully they'll find this post and know they can leave the amp and change out everything else and the nav and bluetooth will also work.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jeff, I just saw that you had PM'd me ages ago. I'm sorry for not responding sooner but it would have only been to tell you that I am clueless about the JBL system interface. :(

5. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No prob, I appreciate all your other posts that are really helpful. I'm not fully satisfied with my head unit with the subs for rear. Their low output I think is so low it doesn't push much sound. I'll prob run splitters to get the same signal for rear.

6. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No prob, I appreciate all your other posts that are really helpful. I'm not fully satisfied with my head unit with the subs for rear. Their low output I think is so low it doesn't push much sound. I'll prob run splitters to get the same signal for rear.