1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone know the next Toyota hybrid models?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by AndyMartin826, Jul 18, 2006.

1. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just got my Prius last week to replace my 99 Corolla, and I am smitten forever. Our other car for the family is a Dodge Caravan, need that to carry around the three kids ages 7, 5, and 3. Must have three seating rows, as you can't really fit 3 toddler car seats or booster seats side by side in normal cars. Anyway, we've wanted to replace the van but my wife wants to wait until they release a hybrid van. I know that Toyota has made the statement that within a few years (was it 2011?) they will have a hybrid model of every vehicle. Right now, they have the Highlander and Camry, anyone know which one is next? Or, even better, when they might be looking to offer the Sienna with the hybrid drive?

I asked at the dealership when I got my Prius, she thought it could be the Corolla. Seems to me, though, that the Prius kind of targets the Corolla market segment, seems like they would want to target the van market soon. There isn't a hybrid van out there, only compact cars (Insight), small coupe and sedan (Prius, Civic), mid-size sedan (Camry), and SUV (Highlander, Escape, Mariner). Am I missing a hybrid van in my research?

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You're right. There is no mini van on the american market. There is a hybrid mini van in Japan (more limo then soccer-mom-mobile). I hope they bring that one here.

I suspect that someone will bring a hybrid minivan to the states soon.

Are you sure you need a minivan? Seems like 3 car seats in width should be doable in something like a Camry no?

3. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ Jul 18 2006, 04:59 PM) [snapback]288338[/snapback]</div>
    What's the last carseat you've seen? I hadn't seen any in awhile, but they are very fancy these days. With 1 in the back of my Prius, the 2 adults sitting on either side were affected by the car seat. It wasn't terrible, but there's no way 3 of those seats could be next to each other.

Besides, mini van's have much more head room and allow you to move more freely in it. As much as we all like to think it can, a Prius just can't do it all :)

4. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Our first family car when we had our first kid was a Pathfinder (had a great corporate purchase plan with Nissan at the time), and while an SUV or sedan might be good for when you have older kids, when you have infants and toddlers nothing can beat the mini-van. If our oldest in the third row needs something, we can literally get up and move to the back seat if we need to. Now, booster seats for youths (ages 4-14, I think now) aren't as bulky as infant or toddler car seats, there's no way that you can fit more than two in the back seat of the Prius. I have two boosters in the back seat now for our 7 and 5 year olds, one on each side, and there's not enough room in the middle section for anything else.

Toyota, bring us the Sienna!!! I was thinking of surpirsing her with one, but she really wants to wait for the hybrid. Do you think Honda might do that with the Odyssey before Toyota gets the Sienna done?

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    By the time they bring out the hybrid minivan you may not be using three carseats anymore.

6. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 18 2006, 03:47 PM) [snapback]288396[/snapback]</div>
    Very true, I was actually just thinking that when I was typing my last post. :lol: Maybe I'll just look to upgrade the Caravan to an Odyssey or Sienna right now, would be a considerable jump in milage and features over what we have anyway. Just didn't want to make that jump and then someone comes out with a hybrid in 6 months, you know.

7. mastergunnera8

mastergunnera8 Junior Member

Sienna is based on the Highlander platform...Don't see why it isn't here already...I would trade off my 2004 Sienna for one, no prob...

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AZTriGuy @ Jul 18 2006, 03:02 PM) [snapback]288299[/snapback]</div>
    Yes.

Estima, a minivan smaller than Sienna for the market in Japan, began sales of the version equipped with HSD just last week.

That rather significantly contributes to the belief that a Sienna with HSD will be next for us here.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The NEW Estima Hybrid started. The old Estima had an HSD option too.

The next Toyota hybrid should be the Tundra in 2008. Unless they introduce one when the Corolla comes out or possibly with the new Highlander.

10. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 19 2006, 09:53 AM) [snapback]288456[/snapback]</div>
    The old Estima Hybrid system was called THS-C, and it was just a parallel hybrid with small motors.
    It never been called HSD.

Ken@Japan

11. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ Jul 18 2006, 06:22 PM) [snapback]288470[/snapback]</div>
    Any way I can get you to ship one of those Estimas over this way? That looks like exactly what we were looking for. Looking at the specs on the Toyota website shows 44.6mpg . . . must . . . have . . . one . . . will . . . pay . . . anything!!!!! Why is it that we can't get that here yet?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mastergunnera8 @ Jul 18 2006, 04:17 PM)</div>
    That surprises me, I always thought that the vans were built on the car chassis while the SUV's were built off the truck lines, really shown in the difference in the ride. I just wish that Toyota would publish a roadmap or something documenting when the different models are going to have a hybrid option. I would hate to buy a new Odyssey or Sienna now and have a hybrid model come out in a year or two.

Edit:Well, well, well, upon more googling (I love that that word is an official verb, now, btw), I stumbled across this:

http://www.hybridcars.com/toyota-sienna-minivan-hybrid.html

Didn't see a date on the article, but they estimate it hitting these shores in 2007.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the clarification Ken!

AZTriGuy, the Highlander is based on a Camry platform, so is the Sienna. The Solara, Avalon, RX and ES are also based on the Camry platform.

13. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AZTriGuy @ Jul 18 2006, 04:02 PM) [snapback]288299[/snapback]</div>
    You aren't missing a van in the US, but you're not listing the Saturn VUE Hybrid that's hitting right now. I don't know if they're offering it with third row seating (probably not; it's not a huge car), but it looks like three could fit comfortably in back, while still offering storage in the hatch. (love the Prius; if not for it, I would've waited for this one, mainly because of price).

14. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AZTriGuy @ Jul 18 2006, 07:39 PM) [snapback]288504[/snapback]</div>
    Lets just say I believe it when I hear it from the horse's mouth from Toyota NA. That website has been saying it will come in 2006/2007 for a long time. I have seen a Sienna forum where Toyota loyalists and shareholders asked Toyota's Coorperate President about Sienna hybrid as an option. He indicated that was all the hybrids Toyota will come out for the next few years.

I don't know who to believe. A hybrid fanboy site or a casual conversation with the President of Toyota. :unsure:

15. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AZTriGuy @ Jul 18 2006, 08:39 PM) [snapback]288504[/snapback]</div>
    I wouldn't get too excited by those FE numbers. I think Japan's "EPA" numbers are even more ridiculous than the EPA's.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well that's because their speed limits are lower. I mean, Japanese Prius owners get 1,200kms to the tank consistently which means they beat our mpg consistently too.