1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

anyone notice a MPG drop when switching to different air filter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by trilect, Jun 13, 2007.

1. trilect

trilect New Member

I had a recent drop in MPG from 55.4 to 52.6 after I changed my engine air filter from a dealer filter to a STP brand I bought at the parts house.

Anyone else experiance this?

2. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't see how changing the air filter could do this. If anything, changing out a very dirty air filter might INCREASE mileage to a very slight degree.

3. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

I could see an aftermarket filter changing the air pressure - too much vacuum if the filter's got a lot more resistance, or too little if it's got a lot less. Not sure if the engine's capable of sensing the richness of the fuel mix and adjusting to compensate.

Did you put the stock filter in to verify mpg returns to normal, as a problem isolation step?

4. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You get exactly what you pay for in air filters. I used to be heavy into tuning my engine and I could really tell the difference in air filters. If you buy some $15 STP airfilter, your just depriving your engine of airflow, and it has to work that much harder. If you can, find a K&N. I'm not sure if they make it for the Prius. I alredy ripped my whole air filter box out and ran a K&N cone filter directly to the throttle body. Integrate the mass airflow sensor and your golden :p It raised my MPG by at least 5.
    When your buying an airfilter dont go cheap. Just bite the bullet and get the best one. You only buy then around once a year so why not?

5. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

It shouldn't change mpg, the air/fuel mixture is held constant like in all gasoline powered cars. The only difference would be filtering quality. If filter is dirty, air flow is reduced, so power lessens as less gas is mixed in. MPG may or may not lessen with less power. The original is a good choice, made by Denso, they claim it has three levels of filtration. I don't see why the STP one isn't adequate, supposedy made by Champion filters, and lots of cars run with those without problems.

6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr.Vanvandenburg @ Jun 18 2007, 11:35 AM) [snapback]463988[/snapback]</div>
    Actually there is a mechanism that directly affects MPG. If the filter has a higher resistance to air flow, the engine has to do more work to pull the air through it ( Work = Pressure drop * Air flow rate). Just don't sacrifice filtering out the dirt to get lower air flow resistance.

JeffD

7. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

You are right. I was assuming any new filter would flow well. That may not be true.

8. wkramer

wkramer New Member

K&N makes a replacement filter - Part #33-2329.

9. 007Prius

007Prius New Member

K&N flows great but has been known messing up the MAF due to oil getting on it, the paper filter filters better in dusty areas and does not cause problems with MAF, so there's pros and cons to both.

10. trilect

trilect New Member

Picked up a dealer air filter to replace the new stp air filter and gained my 3 mpg back. The STP air filter did lower my MPG even though it was new.