1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone notice the Energy Flow display lies?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Dan., Sep 1, 2009.

1. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    On the Gen III while in a WS-Glide, I see red arrows going too the wheels FROM the engine. This is a change in how WS was displayed in the Gen II. For the Gen II, in a WS-Glide all you got were yellow arrows (battery to generator to wheel). Since WS turns off the injectors, I don't see how energy can really be coming from the ICE. At best its dead weight.

Since I only get Gen III wheel-time by beg-borrow-or-steal, I can't really refine my one-time observation.

Anyone confirm?

2. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What were you using to determine the engine injector / ignition was off? Without determining that how can you be sure you were in Warp Stealth?
    My Auto-tap should be here in a few days, with it I can tell ignition timing, fuel injector pulse width, RPM, Percent throttle opening, percent engine load etc. Or I hope I can, I'll order when confirmed it will give generic data for the Gen III Prius.
    Without some form of feed back, I don't know how you can be certain your in WS. Your engine may be consuming fuel, yet FCD may still display in excess of 99 MPG, or I'm confused

3. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    All valid points. All we saw were from the standard ODB II gauges, none of the extended CAN information.

I think we were noting an RPM < 980 and registering Open Loop. Both have historically been indications that Toyota HSD Hybrids are not drinking fuel. Could be totally different but it leads to even more questions....

I guess one of two things:
    • The Energy Flow display is misleading or lying
    • Or... The Gen III doesn't have the same fingerprint of WS as the other HSD hybrids do (certainly possible, maybe probable)

If the fingerprint has changed, I propose another question... Does the Gen III have WS and has this been confirmed outside of the fingerprint mentioned above (ie, someone tapped the injector pin and is measuring voltage on it).

Again, these were passing observations on a car I don't own or have access to, but I thought some of the Gen III techs might want to noodle on it.

4. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does WS exist? kind of what I was thinking too. Unfortunately all I will have is generic OBDII info as well, but I think it should be enough. I think Ken from Japan (apologize if I got it wrong) has wired an LED into the injection harness to have an "engine on" light, He knows, I'm sure. As I have heard nothing on the non existence of WS, one assumes it's still there.
    Oh, I looked and your right, stage 4 speed above 50 MPH, just barely in the battery portion of the HSI, and red arrows from the engine with FCD maxed out.
    I also wonder if the HSI isn't variable, that is a constant placement of the "bar" on the HSI may have different values or power output based on vehicle speed? Gut feeling, with NO science is it isn't a constant.
    Course I'm probably just full of it:rolleyes:

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I thought WS on the Gen III was indicated by no reading on the HSI and no arrows on the display yet still having forward motion, yes?
    I can get that to happen heading down a slight hill around 53 mph.

6. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Gen III does inject fuel during WS conditions. I believe ken1784 and his fuel injection LED indicator showed that.

Wayne

7. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OK... must be technique... WS is usually pretty easy to land. Personally I'm still not totally convinced that the Energy display is 100% honest, but I'm a Gen II owner, so I may be biased ;)
    Wouldn't that be more of a SHM than a WS glide?

As I mentioned... I didn't have that much wheel time. Are there any Gen III owners that can check RPM / Open-Closed-Loop / Injector ? I take it Ken got a Gen III this year :rockon:

8. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The energy display in any generation has never been totally honest at showing true conditions. The HSI is a non-linear read out that also will not tell the whole truth, it's just a guide. Instruments are needed and right now the ScanGage is the only one for the Gen III, unless you have a Mastertech laptop.

Wayne

9. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No kiddin! I use my MFD less and less every day. Anyway... Could you bring up "LP", "RPM" and possibly Hobbits "INJ" gauge. All should work in the Gen III. I'm not sure what INJ should read at WS, but I sure Hobbit will have the decoder on that one.

10. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the second-gen, injector time reads whatever it happened to
    be during the spasm of engine shutdown or fuel-cut, i.e. it's
    one of those values that the ECU holds when it isn't being actively
    updated.
    I also observed that the gen3 energy display is a total fallacy.
    Use the HSI.
    _H*

11. cantgoback

cantgoback Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Don't mean to get off topic here, but for the sake of adding another data point, I noticed one time during a freeway on-ramp going downhill, the MPG was reading only 25 mpg. So I switched to the flow diagram to see what was going on, because usually the mpg is 100 there especially when it's braking conditions (engine is warm by then, only brakes applied). I was surprised to see that the only arrow was going from the battery to wheels, no ICE. This went on for ~10 seconds. Too bad by the time I got my cell phone camera out the mpg was up to 100.

12. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We used to have a saying in my line of work "measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe."
    Kind of what we are doing with the energy display on our Prius. That is we are using a little graphical display who's primary purpose was to entertain and trying to use it as a diagnostic tool.
    So, there is no "warp stealth" in a Gen III? I won't miss it, it didn't make sense to me unless you could keep the exhaust valves closed or spinning the engine is just a huge waste of battery power, kind of like "B" mode even if you didn't want it.
    Why do you guy's say the only option is Scan Gauge? Aren't there many other OBD II readers out there? I just ordered the new Can capable Auto-tap, have used the older version for years. I think it MAY give more data than a scan gauge, but maybe not. I'll know when I get it.

13. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well I've posted a few times this week that the ScanGauge is about as useful as a brick on the Gen III. For that matter so is any other ScanTool without the Toyota decodes. Now... I have heard that someone has the ODBII tap with a high dollar license for the Toyota code kit. More power too them, but for that kind of money I'd rather get a Hymotion kit.

Now what a generic (any generic) ODB II tool can tell you is open-vs-closed loop. That has "HISTORICALLY* been an indication of WS-Mode in the past.

Whether or not everyone cares about whether WS-Mode still exists does not preclude us from speculating about it. Technical forum for technical discussions... no?

14. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is what Auto Tap should give me. Generic Parameters
    I assume from ignition timing, engine load and throttle position, you could tell if the engine was "running" and how much it was contributing.
    I didn't mean to imply anything by saying that I wouldn't miss Warp Stealth, I was trying to head off what I thought might have been some naysayers. I like speculating on what is going on, it's why I'm buying the new Auto Tap. I enjoy Hypermiling too, it's sort of a hobby.
    But I don't see myself being able to afford the Hymotion kit either

15. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I didn't see PID $01 03 on the list. I've seen it called "Fuel System Status" but haven't ever seen the "Bank X" appended to it like autotap does. PID $01 03 will give you open-closed-loop. It's the only way I know of (from your list of sensors) to guess if the engine is receiving fuel. For Gen II, there was no indicator from engine load or throttle position. Ignition timing may get "unique" when fuel is cut. If your really interested look at your ignition timing on the highway (or parking lot) with your foot off the gas going about 50mph. That "should" be the same ignition timing number you would expect in WS. The goal would be to:
    • Get a high state of charge (6 bars at least!)
    • Turn off AC, and put Prius in Eco-Mode.
    • Start your decel at 50mph or 60mph someplace deserted.
    • Take your foot completely off the gas and wait for the ignition timing number to stabalize.
    • Apply *LIGHT* gas pedal pressure until the HSI is no longer in CHG
    • See if the ignition timing numbers have changed.

Wish I had a Gen III so I didn't have to ask others to test it, but that is what I think should be a definitive test. Hard part will be staying light enough on the throttle. WS is tricky to hit if your not used to it.

16. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is a famous "idling check ceremony".
    S3 -> S4

Ken@Japan

17. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did just that again today (around 53 mph going down a long, gradual hill) and there is a definite feel to it. The energy diagram has no arrows going to or from anything but the wheels are spinning, the HSI shows nothing and it feels like the car is free wheeling yet it doesn't drop in speed until I get to the bottom of the hill. May not be WS, never know without good meters.

18. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The display might not be always accurate, and actually I sometimes notice a slight delay between what I hear (or don't hear, actually) and what the display shows.
    But I am driving and watching the road, so whether the display is 100% or 95% accurate is quite irrelevant. As long as it is saying something useful, I don't need to look at it every second and I don't need it to be 110% accurate. The same goes with the reported fuel consumption.
    At the end what counts is how often I need to fill up the tank, and how the display will help me, if ever, to achieve the best fuel consumption.
    What I really look at is the information reported from the Heads-up display (standard on the EU version of the Prius - I still don't know why it is not available in the US; some regulation? to keep costs down? but not even offered as an option???), and not even always.
    I sometimes even think that I will end up turning off the screen altogether and look at it only at the end of the trip to see the overall fuel consumption.

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    with scangauge i get MPG readings at 100+ all the time. i have also seen this at less than 45 mph when its "supposed" to be in EV mode.

now there has always been an issue with Scangauge with its transitory readings, but i am seeing this for several seconds and in some cases more than a few minutes when going down certain hills.

also have seen the HSI showing regen AND scangauge showing less than 9999 mpg...iow regen AND ICE running at the same time on steep downhills on the freeway

20. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If I understand how the system works, the ICE is running and consuming some fuel whenever the vehicle speed is above 46 MPH, regardless of whether your braking or not. I think the ICE has to be turning to prevent overspeed of one of the MG's