1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone notice?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Carnutt, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Carnutt

Carnutt Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Anyone notice that the paint seems to chip easily? At least on mine, I've noticed small pin hole-like chips, probably from road debris hitting it.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh yes! My front end looks like it has black zits. Can't wait till this spring and fill them in with touch-up paint (with a toothpick).
    I also have a couple of chips on metal areas like right next to the windshield. That has me more concerned (rusting).
    But my 97 Camry and two Toy trucks were the same (easy to chip the paint).

3. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yes. My hood has 5 or so chips in it. About the same as my 04 impala had, but it took 5 years in that car not 5 months. I think the angle and the light hood and thinkness of the paint is why.

4. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, same here. I did get a bottle of touch up paint- anyone know what the little brass tip on it is for???

I think it's a matter of plastic parts being too soft for the paint that's applied to them, so the brittle paint doesn't adhere well maybe when it's hit under high impact by a small rock? Or maybe the paint isn't bonding to the plastic properly? I do not know, I'm not a paint person- but I do see the black marks on my front bumper.

5. hotbrass

hotbrass New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I dont think your aluminum hood will rust. Maybe corrode if the pit goes to bare metal.

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good point... but what about the fenders / quarter panels, are those aluminum or steel. That is where my dings are.