1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone noticed MPG difference after oil change?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Former Member 68813, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not talking about abnormal viscosity used. Just 0W20->0W20 oil change.
    Thanks!

2. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Earlier this month I got my oil change at the dealership (under the two year service contract). The scangaugeII registered 60 mpg for that trip starting from a cold start from my home to the dealership that morning. It took 1.5 hours to get my car services and I was out by 8:30 am. With the Prius already warmed up , I drove the Prius another 12 miles or so to work( DARCARS of Silver Spring off Cherryhill Rd in MD to downtown Bethesda,MD). The weather was dry and warm and my route was hilly with the heavy traffic moving at around 25mph to 38mph on a black asphalt surface. Usually even with a pre-warmed up Prius using every hypermiling trick I know the Prius' MPG usually maxs out at about 83 mpg for trips over 11 miles under optimum conditions. However, this time and this time only the ScangaugeII AVG xgauge indicated that the Prius had achieved 151 mpg on that 12 mile trip! I double checked the ScangaugeII and it seemed to be working okay. ...very strange :rolleyes: The next day (3/10/12) I filled up my tank with 9.785 gallons of gas after travelling over 594.8 miles (60.7 mpg calculated, MFD=64.3 mpg). Temperatures have increased to 60F in the mornings and up to 80F in the afternoon so I've taken off the grill blocking ... my overall MFD has jumped to 68 mpg since then but I was thinking it was due to the with warmer temperatures and not to the oil change... could be wrong though:rolleyes:.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The only effect an oil change would have is if the car is left on while it is sitting around on the lot.

4. kswebb1

kswebb1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If the level is too high before or after it would change the mpg.Other then that I dont see how it would make much of a difference.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've noticed improvements with all the cars that I've owned. The same is true after washing my car: It runs smoother, has more pep, and generally feels better to drive. The technical term for this is the "placebo effect".

Tom

dogfriend and ghosteh like this.
  6. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is not what I asked, but thanks anyway for your effort.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's exactly what you asked. You just don't like my answer.

Tom

carlosfpr and dogfriend like this.
  8. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Having a pre-warmed up engine can push the Prius's FE up very high since it eliminates a big energy hit a Prius has from initially warming up the catalytic converters. :D However, nothing beats going one way downhill! ;)

9. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Warm dry weather is pure love for a Prius.

It is a piece of cake to get 50 mpg calculated
    when its 70 degrees and blue skies.

Even my wife who drives with no care for mpg's
    gets over 50 mpg during the summer....

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Anyone noticed MPG difference after oil change?

Nope.

11. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I changed my oil on my Prius at 1k, 5k, 10k & 15k miles. I looked back & saw no significant change in mpg after each change. I just did the 15k mile oil change the other day though since Toyota doesn't change it as often as I like to have it done.

12. Clay2013

Clay2013 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Been a while since you posted the question, but I went looking before I posted the same question. I had my first service two tanks ago. My very stable 47 mpg has dropped 2 mpg on average. No obvious change except the service. Was wondering if anyone else had seen that?

13. GBC_Texas_Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had my fuel mileage drop to the 38 to 48 mpg range after having the oil changed at a dealer. My note on fuelly.com commented that I wasn't for sure if they used the right weight because mileage dropped immediately. This was December 2012 through January. After having the oil changed at a dealer I trust, the mileage is back. Can't say 100% for sure the dealer was to blame because temperatures dropped, I did some long distance holiday driving. Bottom line is I'm never using that dealer again. Dealer2 seems to be trustworthy. I'll just go with what works.

14. dmcds1986@gmail.com

[email protected] Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    YES, YES, YES. After my last oil change, my MPG has dropped. Before the service, I was getting 48 Highway, 52 city no matter the time of year with AC running or heat running. Now I get 45 Highway and 42 city. I've had the Prius for over 2 years and I know how to drive it for the best MPG, but something is wrong. I took it back. They cleaned the injectors and the throttle body. I thought it was fixed because the MPG improved on the drive home, but after that day, the MPG steadily got worse. I find it funny that I used to get better MPG for city driving. Now, I get better MPG on the highway. This is not the way the Prius is supposed to perform.

15. dmcds1986@gmail.com

[email protected] Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    YES, YES, YES. After my last oil change, my MPG has dropped. Before the service, I was getting 48 Highway, 52 city no matter the time of year with AC running or heat running. Now I get 45 Highway and 42 city. I've had the Prius for over 2 years and I know how to drive it for the best MPG, but something is wrong. I took it back. They cleaned the injectors and the throttle body. I thought it was fixed because the MPG improved on the drive home, but after that day, the MPG steadily got worse. I find it funny that I used to get better MPG for city driving. Now, I get better MPG on the highway. This is not the way the Prius is supposed to perform.

I want to add that I have 75,500 miles on my 2010 Prius and I've always had it serviced at the dealership.

16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

You might check with "Bob is the oil guy" site. I have not done any engine oil analysis, just transmission oil, but I would offer some speculation:
    • loss of oil - with less oil, it warms up faster, the viscosity thins out giving lower 'stirring losses'
    • shear down - as the engine oil ages, the mechanical stresses rip some of the longer chains, especially the viscosity additives, resulting in lower 'stirring losses'
    I've seen no significant loss of mileage after an engine oil change. But then I've learned how to change my own oil.

Bob Wilson

17. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i have seen dramtic change..........i changed the oil myself because the wrong oil was put in orignally by toyota...i put in recommended 0-20 oil and noticed a difference straight away
    so if a garage does it you may notice a change because they put wrong oil in...

but if you change using same oil tha was put in originally..you probably ont notice much

18. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would think New 0-20w oil change would only help the MPG because of less friction ...........................

Use the Recommended Grade of Motor Oil

You can improve your gas mileage by 1–2 percent by using the manufacturer's recommended grade of motor oil. For example, using 10W-30 motor oil in an engine designed to use 5W-30 can lower your gas mileage by 1–2 percent. Using 5W-30 in an engine designed for 5W-20 can lower your gas mileage by 1–1.5 percent. Also, look for motor oil that says "Energy Conserving" on the API performance symbol to be sure it contains friction-reducing additives.

Gas Mileage Tips - Keeping Your Vehicle in Shape

19. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    1. Synthetic Oil
      • The physics of friction are also what allows synthetic motor oil to provide better gas mileage[​IMG] than traditional motor oil. Engineered for a higher viscosity, synthetic motor oil creates a slicker surface on the engine than traditional motor oil does, and thus it saves even more energy. However, a word to the wise is necessary on synthetic oil. If you don't use it for the life of your engine, you may not end up getting the kind of savings you want. Synthetic motor oil is more expensive than traditional motor oil, and even though it does provide a fuel and maintenance savings, it has to be used for some time for those savings to be fully realized.
    Sponsored Links

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5729249_oil-change-increase-gas-mileage_.html#ixzz2bBVjeNRw

20. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Me neither.