1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

anyone out there not happy with their Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by azdaisey, May 18, 2008.

1. azdaisey

azdaisey New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Is there anyone out there that is not happy with their purchase or would have ordered another type of Prius? If so, why? We have heard so many great things about a Prius. Are they THE perfect car??? I sure hope so! Azdaisey

2. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't think that you'll find too many around here who are "unhappy" with their car. There are certainly things that some of us might like to change, but they're pretty minor when it comes to brass tacks.

With respect to the "kind" of Prius, remember that there are only really two models (touring and regular.) If I remember, the touring edition has only been available for a couple of years. With such limited model choices, the things that really distinguish individual cars are the color and the trim level (i.e. what Toyota option package was purchased.)

Do I regret having purchased a "regular" Prius (as opposed to the touring edition)? No. I understand why some folks would buy the touring edition, but those thing weren't important enough to me to spend the additional money. Would I have purchased a "higher" package? Again, no. I got pretty much what I wanted in the package I purchased. However, I will say that Toyota's strategy of not offering their options a la carte is one of the things that does annoy me. (Sorry, this is personal thing, but I do think that I appreciate why Toyota does what they do.)

There are a couple of things that I don't think are optimal about the car, but as I said in the beginning they're minor:

• The various displays/readouts really should include a tachometer, at least a user configurable option.
    • The rear wiper is a tad too short or (because they really can't make it longer) too far to the left side of the car. As a result, there's a fairly wide section on the right side of the rear-window that becomes hard to see out of when it rains.
    • Some people think that the seats are uncomfortable. I used to be one of them, but I adjusted to them very quickly. It would be nice if the seats didn't require that kind of "getting used to"
    I knew about the last two of those before purchased, but none of them were/are deal-killers.

So is the Prius, THE perfect car? Well for some, probably yes, for others no. It all depends on what perfection is to you. To me the car isn't perfect per se, but it's pretty close.

3. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I love my Prius, but the one thing that has always bugged me is the small rear window and the very poor rear vision. My wife's Prius has the backup camera, which attenuates the problem somewhat, but still, Toyota should have known better when they designed the body.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Prius is not perfect.

However they do have a higher percentage of owner satisfaction than any other car.

5. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I love my Prius, but I would have preferred a different color, larger wheels, and VSC. The 2006 silver that I have is too light and bland. I don't think there was a touring edition with the larger wheels for that model year. They had a package with VSC though and I regretted not getting it.

What I would really like is a 2008 touring edition in spectra blue.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think I would have preferred if the Prius came with an optional V6 engine and a racing-tuned suspension. The Vehicle Stability Control is really a detriment when trying to Street Drift because it's constantly killing power to the tires. The 0 - 60 mph time is terrible and I'm constantly being left in the dust at the quarter mile. It doesn't seat seven and can't tow a 50-foot horse trailer. And what's up with the 106mph top speed; that's barely fast enough to get me to work in the morning through the suburbs. All in all, I've been regretting my purchase since August of 2004 and can't wait to dump this piece of crap.

:bounce:
    Just kidding.

From the folding seats for carrying stuff to the 60mpg 12-month average, I love this car.

7. priusuk2008

priusuk2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You mean like the one in my avatar pic ?:rolleyes:

8. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Absolutely love mine period end of conversation!

9. ursle1

ursle1 Realist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I hate mine, only 53.1 mpg in the summer and 47.6 in the winter (NH)
    Air conditioner makes it way to cold on HOT days
    Being first away from every stop light is really dragging me down
    The fact that the police never look twice as I ramble around, carving corners, zipping thru traffic has me terrified
    And there's way to much interior space, it's lonely
    The XM radio really makes me wonder why ;)
    The ev switch makes it to quiet
    The BT tech chassis stiffering plate takes away the straight line wavering, I really miss it
    The BT tech strut tower brace makes it to much of a dream to drive
    But I will just have to grin and bear it :D

10. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've occasionally stared at truckloads of roadcases stacked on
    a loading dock and thought "geez, it'd be nice if I could get
    all that in the Prius" ... but other than that it's done pretty
    well. Who else do you know who writes whole webpages about the
    loads he's put in his car just because it's so much fun??
    _H*

11. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have numerous complaints about my Prius. We've had two; the first one would be four years old if we still had it. My main complaints are:

• Crappy seats
    • Too much road noise
    • Poor ride
    • Traction control is not actually traction control but rather "powertrain protection"

All of those problems could be addressed without affecting mpg. I can overlook the fact that it has mediocre acceleration in return for the fuel economy. Our Hybrid Camry is a huge improvement over the Prius in all of those areas. However, I prefer to drive something smaller 90% of the time, and I'm not willing to take a 10mpg hit on my daily driver, so I drive the cheap econobox Prius, and look forward to driving the Camry when I can. Guilt, and the embarrassment of driving a "dumb" vehicle keeps me from driving my SUV except when I need its load carrying and 4WD capabilities.

12. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I love: the MPG; technology; roominess; ride ==> I love my Prius

BTW notice I did not say the looks ... but it has grown on me :)

13. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good one, Tony.
    :D

14. prius12306

prius12306 2018 prime advanced - Stella

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I really love my prius and things that others don't like, don't seem to bother me. I think the rear view is fine - I find it is very good actually. The seats are a bit high for me as I used to drive a camry with 6 way power seats, but as another poster said I did get used to them. The one thing that bothers me is why they lock out certain features unless you get the NAV system. Package 3 has voice command for phone, but nothing else. I don't see why they couldn't do audio and climate controls via voice also. Maybe something to do with the computer. I also would have loved fog lights, but did not want that "package". And like many others I took what package they had coming in rather than waiting. All in all though, I love package 3 - the backup camera is great, the stereo is sweet - love the ipod connection - I could go on and on.

15. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm happy with it.

But if I could have a do-over, I'd get the Touring Edition because the handling of the Standard Prius is subpar for a car of its size.

16. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    no, he means like mine:eek:

17. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I WANT A TOURING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My back is starting to hurt too. hmmmmmmmmm..............seats maybe.

18. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would complain about the cd text disappearing and locking out the song titles while the vehicle is in motion but then who listens to CD's these days. It's all iPods and Satellite radio nowadays.

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You mean a 17 second quarter mile isn't respectable? :p
    ... just because your coffee is cold by the time you finish .... heck next time, bring a thermos

what we REALLY hate is not having to go to the gas station often enough ... I keep forgetting which side the fuel cap is on. That REALLY angers me

20. rkskeet

rkskeet New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Had mine since Mar 08, pkg 6.. Absolutely love the car and it has benn a good investment for many reasons, gas prices being probably the most obvious. Yes, it is not a perfect 10 as there are always somethings that could be improved. But it is very close - socre a 9.9!!!