1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone paint their mud flaps?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by priusenvy, Jun 9, 2004.

1. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Has anyone tried painting their mud flaps to match their car before installation? I've got a white #9 and I'm thinking it might look better if the mud flaps matched the body color.

A plastic primer or adhesion promoter probably needs to be applied before the color coat.

2. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You'd be wasting your time, I think, because the perpetual flexing of the flap plus the constant barrage of grit would soon remove any paint you put on. The way they are (at least the set I have from Canada) they look like a factory installation and fit with the same color rubbery-plastic strip along the bottom edges of the body. If you do manage to paint them, take photos and show us what it looks like.
    B

3. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i had the same thoughts about the paint and their being bombarded with sand and salt and stuff... can't imagine any paint job that would hold up

4. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    An expoxy paint would be the only one I'd think would have a chance. Some of them are remarkably tough.

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Never mind

I was only going to paint the side which faces away from the tire. It doesn't matter though, my wife, the main driver of the car, prefers that they remain black, and I already have too many other projects around the house that need my time.

6. Joel

Joel New Member

Interesting thing about the US Prius - the rear under-body spoiler isn't painted here - in Japa, it's part of a "kit" that also includes side scirts and a front under-body spoiler - these are all usually painted to match the car. I've seen pictures of the tear under-spoiler painted and I think it looks better painted.

7. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Given that I have a Black Prius, I'm actually quite happy with the trim the way it is :)