1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone Part of the CCF Settlement?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by boulder_bum, Dec 19, 2007.

1. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My wife and I got a letter in the mail the other day saying that since we used a credit card on trips out of the country from 1996-2006, we're part of a class action lawsuit that nailed Visa, Master Card and Discover for secret fees they conspired to impose.

Cool! $25 bucks for me. Not sure how much my wife will get. She spent 140+ days out of the country in the years they imposed the fees, but it was mostly for volunteer work where she didn't use her credit card a lot. We'll see.

2. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yep, I got the notice. I'm going to opt for option 2 at this point as I was outside of the US for three roughly 4-week periods (vacations) between the given dates.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have not heard of this. I lived in Mexico from roughly 1995 to the fall of 1999, and in Spain from then until mid-2001. I used Visa and Mastercard ATM/debit cards as my sole means of getting money. I didn't have a credit card, per se, but the debit cards functioned as though they were credit cards. Maybe I didn't use them as charge cards very much; mostly as ATM cards to withdraw cash.

4. moxiequz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Daniel, from what you described I think you should be eligible for a part of the settlement. You may want to check out the website: www.ccfsettlement.com. There's a detailed FAQ available there as well as contact information for the settlement administrators. Maybe the notice just hasn't reached you yet - they could have some sort of staggered notification schedule. If you are eligible you should be able to fill out a claim online.

5. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I assume you did your banking through an American card/bank account? If you had to withdraw American dollars into local currency, then I assume you incurred the exchange fees the credit card companies got sued for.

You can read more about the settlement here:
    http://www.ccfsettlement.com/

The site is designed for people who got a settlement notice in the mail, but you may be able to ask if you qualify.

Edit: Mox was 2 minutes quicker than I was!

6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Both DH & I got 'em. I have about 106 days. DH's list is slightly different--he has about 4 weeks in Europe I don't have, and I have a similar time in England, and some time in Canada he doesn't have. We're both going with the middle option. You can file online, but you have to supply a card number of one of the credit cards you used, and we can't remember which ones we had, so I filled out the paper copy and sent it certified. Who knows when they'll get around to handing out the dosh (less the 25+% that the lawyers are getting). Whatever. It'll be a nice surprise whatever it is whenever it comes!:)

7. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep, I put in for my $25.

My fiancee has a habit of promptly tearing up and throwing away anything she perceives as junk mail. Well, she perceived this as junk mail. By the time I asked her about it the trash had been carried out and hauled off. :(

I'm hoping she can still go online and make her claim; she (me, actually) hasn't tried yet.

8. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got that notice too. I spent not too much time abroad, so I'll be going in for $25. Not that I care that much about $25, but if credit card companies are being punished, I like to hold the whip :D

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes. I went for the $25 online. In my case, it's not worth the documentation for the tiny extra I might be able to get if I didn't do the $25 option.

Tom

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Looks like I should be eligible for about $1,000, if I can document it properly. I'd have to find out what my debit card number was back then. My bank was eaten by another bank, and that bank was eaten by yet another bank in the interim, and I moved from my U.S. residence of record upon returning home, and moved again two years ago, so mail sent to those addresses would not be forwarded to me. And the card I was using was replaced with each bank take-over. Worst of all is that my old passport has only one Mexico stamp in it. Mostly Mexico didn't stamp my passport, only my visa. I had a Mexican student visa, and later a "rentista" visa, and those are what got stamped and renewed, but that had to be turned in when I left the country.

If I don't get the notification letter in the next day or two I'll contact my bank and see what information they can provide me. It looks as though I'd need at least my debit card number from the banks that were eaten years ago. I might be able to get my student records from the Mexican university. But I was only there for two semesters.

Oh, well. I won't miss a meal if I cannot file a claim.

11. moxiequz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :bump:

Just a reminder - 3 days (including today) left to file a claim if you qualify.