1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone remove their Headline (The interior Roof Trim)?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by harley2g, Jul 18, 2004.

1. harley2g

harley2g New Member

Hi there.

I am getting ready to install my new XM Radio Kit into the car. Thanks JOn for the fast service from priusxm.com.

And wanted to know if anyone has had experience, success of failure :-( with removing the ceiling panel. I am thinking of centering my antenna and was looking at running the cable in that void.

I hope someone can give me some input or maybe a diagram as to how that is held in place.

Any responds would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    H

2. casc

casc New Member

First off, if one of the really qualified folk don't answer....
    http://techinfo.toyota.com/ is a place where you can register and pull down repair manuals and wiring diagrams for the prius (well most toyotas).
    it's a for fee service....

i was poking around tonite because i'm slurping data to see what i can do about installing a 144/440
    ham rig.

as i recall headliner dropping was covered in the repair manual and it involves rmoving interior trim
    all the way around. but i haven't done it.

BTW if you have side curtain airbags, you're gonna want to be carful about this. (or i' misreading a lot of the warnings on mine... also a possibility)

cas

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

if your going to install a ham rig in your Prius, I'd contact Toyota and see if they have any specific information about rf shielding for the up to 14 computers in the car. I'd be very leary of doing it personally. But to each his own, but I still recommend you talk with Toyota.

4. casc

casc New Member

Very good point. which is why I'm taking it slow and poking around the
    service website too. I'm talking VHF/UHF so max power is 35 watts or less
    (since SF Bay Area is repeater rich.... typically much less) so leakage
    shsould not be much more of an issue than what the car puts out on its own. Of course since I'm driving a #7, I also get to worry about side air bags so no auxspeakers hanging off shoulder belt attach points.

I did see a white '04 with what looked like a Larsen Glass mount headed the other way about a week ago. If I didn't have my kid with me on the way to her class... I might have flipped a U and chased the car...

Might have made the news.... lunatic prius driver stalks other prius owner over ham antenna... <wee>

Thanks Frank.

5. Whitey

Whitey New Member

I'm not sure how the headliner is removed in the Prius, but the instructions to remove the headliner from many vehicles require that the windshield be removed first. However since the Prius has a hatchback, I think you can run it out the back once removed. This should at least be a 2-person job, as you don't want to flex the substrate material very much.

I would begin by removing all the oh-sh** handles at the seating positions (usually these help hold the headliner in place). Now, I am talking to this without actually looking at the vehicle. Remove the trim panels that lip over the headliner (be careful to replace the door seals over these trim panels properly when reinstalling). You should now be able to pop the clips holding the headliner in place. One thing to watch out for is whether the dome lamp holds the headliner in (if it does not, then you will need to unseat the wiring clip before removing the headliner from the vehicle). Now the headliner can be removed.

Note: read the insturctions as to the proximity of the XM antennae. I'm not sure if it can be mounted near the regular radio antennae.

Hope this helps. My experience has been with other vehicles, not the prius. If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself, pay to get it done. It will be cheaper than replacing your cracked headliner.