1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone repair broken homelink mirror button?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by gkloepfer, Oct 12, 2011.

1. gkloepfer

gkloepfer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2006 Prius with the package-installed Gentex rear-view mirror with Homelink. The other day the garage door button on the mirror came off. It looks like a plastic piece on the bottom of the button that holds the button on broke off and now the button won't stay fastened.

Before I try to figure out a fix myself, has anyone else had this trouble, and, if so, do you have any tips on fixing it?

If nobody else has had this trouble (yet), I will take the mirror apart to see if I can figure out some way to fix it and will post a follow-up here.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

-- Gil

2. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The paint on my home button is worn off. I'd like to replace mine, too.

3. gkloepfer

gkloepfer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Having received no replies, I decided to go ahead and see what could be done. It turns out that the little U-shaped piece of plastic that broke-off the bottom of the button was still in the mirror and could be removed with a pair of needle-nose pliers (no mirror removal or taking it apart required!). Simply push in slightly on the broken part with the pliers and lift it up and out. This is also how it goes back in.

I put a slight dimple in the place where the plastic broke off and roughed it up with a sharp dentist-like "pick" so that the glue would adhere better.

I then put a small drop of Loctite Stik 'n Seal "Extreme Conditions" glue on the two places where the break happened and glued the U-shaped piece of plastic back on and let it sit for about 12 hours. It's really important to let this glue set as it stays slightly flexible (like the plastic) and will easily break off again if disturbed before setting.

The button went back in by putting the U-shaped piece in first with the top of the button out a bit away from the mirror. Gently (important) rock the top of the button forward and there should be no resistance. The two small tabs on the top of the button should be ready to snap into place, and the bottom of the button should be sitting in a lengthwise channel that acts as a hinge. Again, gently rock the top of the button forward and allow the two tabs at the top to snap into place in the frame of the mirror. If all goes well, you should be done at this point.

I created a Picasa web album with the photos of this. I'm not allowed to post links, so if you go to the picasaweb.google.com {slash} kloepfer63 {slash} PriusMirrorRepair - that should get you to the album.

To the person who wanted to replace the button: I have not found any place that sells just the button. Given how fragile these are, your choices are to live without the symbol on it, or put a symbol on yourself. I'd say that your best bet would be to get Brother label tape that's white-on-black or white-on-clear and find a symbol or even text that would go on the button, cut the label to fit, and stick it on the button. In time it will come off and you'll need to do it again, but that should give the drivers of your car some indication of what the button is for. You may be able to paint something on, but I'm not sure how that would be done.

4. Dino3721

Dino3721 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    For paint worn- I took a black Sharpie and just colored it in. It at least looks all black and took 3 seconds. I was going to put electoral take over it and trim with an X-axto knife (small shark razor blade)- but marker worked prefect.

5. Tipiford

Tipiford New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gil had a good solution, however, I never found the broken tab; it was probably down inside the the mirror, which I did not relish taking apart. My initial thought was to swap buttons so that the broken button was set for our garden bay door (merely fastening it in place with a glue gun), but on the 2006 Prius, all three buttons are a different shape and configuration as to where the little tabs were positioned and their differing sizes (one was not rectangular, and the other two were different in size, plus their markings are one, two and three dots), so I was left to repair the one broken #2 button. Having taken the #3 button out so that I might duplicate the shape of the "U" tab, I first fashioned piece of bare copper No. 14 electrical wire into the the u-shaped tab (leaving on-side about an inch longer than I needed and the other side 5- or 6-inches to be able to hold it while forming it), then filed both sides of the piece to flatten each side and reduce the girth of the wire. I then cut the two ends to length where the flattened legs would fit into the plastic button and the u-hook in its proper position extending out of the button, and with a Dremel, carved-out spaces for the legs of the new tab, and glued it with JB Wold epoxy. I hope this might help anyone that doesn't have the broken-off tab. (Obviously, the mirror needs to be removed from the vehicle to effect this repair.)