1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone seen one of these??

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rangerdavid, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
  2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very interesting!!! I like the range, speed, LiPo battery usage. Looks OK, and the current expected leasing fee appears to be about $400/month. I would be more interested in the purchase cost however. But then it wont go into production until after 2011, and maybe as late as 2017.

As long as we all make it past Dec 21 2012, I would consider it when my B..B. Prius gives out.

It could be my next car!!!

3. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Very interesting car. Nice look.

Comparing it to the 2010 Prius, it appears this car is considerably shorter (by 32") and slightly narrower (by about 1"), but it is going to be even taller than the Prius by more than 4". Given the very short hood and nearly non-existent trunk (only 7 cu.ft.), my guess is that the interior space will be quite comfortable for four large adults.

The real great news is that the range is expected to be about 153 miles AND it will be able to take a quick charge (in "just minutes") that would give about 20 miles of driving range. It doesn't appear to be a road car, however, because the top speed will be electronically capped at 80 mph. It may change in the US, but then the life expectancy of the lithium polymer battery and super-conductors may not meet the 120,000/130,000 miles promised.

The good sized electric motor (50 kW, compared to the Prius' 60 kW) looks to give it enough zip in city traffic. I could see it as a great commuter vehicle, but not much more. I could manage it for some day trips, but only if I could be certain of getting a charge during meetings that better last several hours. The trunk capacity (or lack thereof) means it is not any kind of traveling car or much of a family car. Its 200 liter trunk is 70% of the space available under the tonneau cover in the 2010 Prius (and that doesn't include the extra 2 cu.ft. available in the underfloor bin!).

This is probably a great intracity car, particularly for Europe, or even a suburban commuter car in the U.S. I wouldn't consider it a real competitor to the Prius, but a great compliment. Prius as the base car for the smaller family and this car as the commuter car.

I'd love to see it arrive soon.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks a lot like a mock up Toyota had on display at the Melbourne Motor Show.

5. rpatterman

rpatterman Thinking Progressive

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Over in the EV forum, DaveinOlyWa provided a survey of all the EVs that are available or will soon be available. Seems that within 2 years we will have many more options than now!

See link: http://evworld.com/library/world_ev_review2008.pdf

The BlueCar Electric will more than met my needs for 90% of my driving.
    I need 65 mph+ and 100 miles per charge. Anything beyond that, I will drive the fossil fuel smoker (2004 Prius). How many years until we consider the Prius obsolete?