1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone that drove both the 17" and the 19"?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by reallyreal, May 12, 2023.

1. reallyreal

reallyreal Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there anyone that drove both the LE & XLE, or the Prime SE & XSE, or any other similar trim levels one having the 17" wheels and the other the 19" wheels, that can share driving impressions between the two?

I've only found videos of Japanese test drives doing that, but from those, I've only been able to extract that (probably) the grip with the 17" is less, likely due to the low rolling resistance tires optimized for efficiency.

Which one rides better? Which one did you like driving more? Are the 19" significantly more responsive in steering? Are the 17" significantly more comfortable during regular driving and significantly quieter at high speeds?

I know 'better' and 'like' are subjective, but any personal experience would be very useful for all of us on the fence about what trim to get :)

daisy555 and dbat23 like this.
  2. TGTGUUD

TGTGUUD Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I’d be interested to know as well but I am 100% certain about getting an LE which I am in line for (like that matters…)
    For me the rims only need to be big enough to house the brakes and calipers. Larger rims only look better when they are new, free of curb rashes. Everything else is going to be worse. The shocks will wear faster too for example.
    And if the tires need to be changed. 17” 205 or 215 options are readily available at Costco. With 19s I think you’ll have to pick 225 which is too wide for a Prius. I’m sure OEM sizes will be available at some point but good luck with finding any if you need a change now.

daisy555 likes this.