1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone tried 5w30 Liqui moly oil?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JC91006, Jan 17, 2015.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Has anyone tried and had good results with liqui moly oil?

2. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I use Mobil1 0w20.

I do, however, add a half a can of Liqui Moly at each oil change.

I get all the benefits of both.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Redlineoil purepoly base stock with high quality
    Zddp package for the solid lifters.
    Makes our clackity engine quiet as can be.

4. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't a 1 qt. Of redline like $12? Almost want to try it, but I don't think I can make my self do it. Maybe if I keep thinking in my head how much a oil change at a Mercedes dealership is. But than again, I'm that guy that buys my oil and walmart for 2.74 a qt :)

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep
    High performance is not cheap. You should see how our motor likes it. Like butta

Dino33ca and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm able to get the Lubri Moly 5w-30 for $29 for 5 liters. I was thinking of trying this oil out, hopefully it'll work well with the Gen2 cars that make more engine noises as it ages.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  7. Merkey

Merkey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does the Redline oil contain the Zddp additive?

8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, all modern motor oils contain ZDDP. It's an essential part of the additive package and API specifications (like api SL/SM/SN etc) actually mandate both minimum and maximum levels of this ingredient.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Reline touts a high quality zddp additive.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Current classification is SM which has replaced
    SL.
    Modern oil contains a minimum of zddp
    Due to the fact that phosphouris which is part of the zddp package can poison the cat. Many believe to little which is causing premature wear especially on older motors.

11. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ed, the current classification has been SN for some years now. API SN superseded SM back in late 2010. See: API Engine Oil Classification

Yep, that's right. Modern api specs call for a minimum amount of ZDDP (about 650 ppm) because it's an important antiwear additive, but also a maximum permissible amount because of it's potential effects on the cats. The maximum amount varies by grade, but is only about 850 ppm for passenger car energy conserving grades.

Some manufactures do claim to have more effective ZPPD additives than the "normal". I remember reading where additive manufacturer "Lubrizol" were promoting their ZPPD additive as apparently giving more active zinc for the same overall ppm limitations. I guess that's something like what redline are claiming with their "high quality ZDDP".

Some manufacturers stick to only specifing API SL so that they can have more ZPPD than this, usually up to about 1200 ppm for passenger car oils. Some HDEOs (diesel engine oils) contain over 1700 ppm. There are some tricks to watch out for with ZDDP. If a manufacture lists a diesel oil spec (like CI or CJ etc) before the passenger car spec, eg API CJ/SM, then the SM zinc limitations don't apply and such an oil can have very high zinc levels. If on the other hand they listed the passenger car spec first, eg API SM/CJ-4, then the SM limit would apply even though the oil also carries a diesel spec.

#11 uart, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  12. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The additive commonly called "moly" is molybidum disulphide (sp?)

It is a SOLID material, somewhat like PTFE (teflon).

A little bit is good for enhancing lubrication but too much can be a bad thing.

I think it is a fools errand to mix your own concentration.
    More is not necessarily better.

13. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    JC,

What benefits are you looking for? If you are looking for less oil consumption I personally have not seen a measureable decrease in my oil consumption since I began using the liqui moly additive listed above. If it is less engine noise and smoother engine performance again I do not notice a difference since I began using the product.

The only thing I have found that has decreased oil consumption considerably and "smoothed" out or "quieted" my engine has been my switch to non-ethanol gasoline that I made a long time ago. The difference in performance and oil consumption was noticeable almost immediately.

I'm not saying liqui moly isn't helping but I don't notice a difference. I run Pennzoil high mileage 10W-40 in Ema and have been for some time now.

Happy driving,
    Chris

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My personal opinion is 40 weight is the wrong viscosity
    For this motor.
    Especially 10 weight as u do see some very cold temps now and then.

15. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A very valid opinion. And I carry the regular 5W-30 as well and if I know I will be heading to colder climates or into colder weather use this and/or do my top off's with it. After close to 400K miles however I'm not concerned about the difference to much.

Chris

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would not fiddle with the Moly in a Prius unless I had some semi-official opinion that it would not hurt the car or catalyst. If its just regular oil with a fancy name, then no harm. If its some kind of new additive, we need to look for approval for CARB certified vehicles. We all have CARB certified Prii in the USA.

You have to post a LINK to the product you're talking about, but the 5W-30 stuff I saw was intended for VW diesels. But it says its approved for VW vehicles..so that's what we need to see.

#16 wjtracy, Jan 18, 2015
  17. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A great number motors oils contain some amount of moly. It's overwhelmingly likely that you are either currently using, or have previously used, an oil containing moly in your Prius.

As with ZDDP discussed above, there are a number of antiwear additives that most engine oils contain. ZDDP is in all (approved) motor oils because it's part of the api specification. Others like Molybdenum, Boron or Titanium are not universally used, but one or more are frequently included. Mobil One for example contains both Moly and Boron, as do many other brand oils. Molybdenum is an extremely effective antiwear and friction reducing additive in motor oils.

As far as their oils go, yes "Liqui Moly" is just a name. The name that the company calls itself does not imply anything about the exact formulation of any of it's products - though I'd hope that at least some of their oils do contain moly. Whether it's more or less than say Mobil One contains is anyone's guess, you'd need to send a sample for an oil analysis to know for sure.

I'm not sure what particular liqui moly oil that the op is referring to, I can see at least five different 5w30 oils listed on their "products" home page. Taking a quick look at the specs I like the look of their "Special Tec LL | 5W30" and their "Top Tec 4200". I'd happily use either of these in my Prius.

SPECIAL TEC LL | 5W-30
    SPECIFICATIONS:
    ACEA A3 ; ACEA B4 ; API CF ; API SL
    APPROVALS:
    BMW Longlife-01,
    MB-Approval 229.5,
    VW 502.00 / 505.00

TOP TEC 4200 | 5W-30
    SPECIFICATIONS:
    ACEA C3
    APPROVALS:
    VW 504.00 / 507.00 ; MB 229.51 ; BMW Longlife-04 ; Porsche C30

With oils carrying those API and ACEA specifications, any worries about compatibility with the Prius would be completely unfounded.

#17 uart, Jan 18, 2015
    wjtracy and Merkey like this.
  18. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just to add to what I said previously. The type of moly that many oil manufactures include as part of their additive package is generally not the same MoS (molybdenum sulphide) that you get in the after market additives such as the one linked above.

The moly that the oil manufactures use is something like Moly-DTC (molybdenum dithiocarbamate), which is an oil soluble organic form of moly. The MoS in after market additives is an insoluble inorganic form, presented as an ultra fine colloidal suspension.

The fact that the manufactures themselves generally don't use the MoS form of moly is often cited as proof that the after market form is bad idea. The information that I have on this however is that the true reasons are more for cosmetic and marketability concerns rather than any real efficacy issues. The inorganic MoS form has two very undesirable characteristics to the motor oil manufacturer/blender from a marketability perspective. Firstly it makes the oil a dirty green/grey colour, and secondly it may settle to the bottom of the container if stored for a period of time. Both of these have proven to be big turn off to consumers. Even if the instructions say to shake the oil thoroughly before use, people will still complain if they open a jug and see an ugly grey residue at the bottom. This information was passed on to me from someone who works in the industry btw.

#18 uart, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  19. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    At one time, we were lucky to get 100,000 miles out of any engine, and oil-consumption was a fact of life. Nowadays, nearly everything has improved considerably. I attribute this to better oils, better engineering, and most of all, better competition between automakers.

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I appreciate the details but back to my orig statement I ain't putting moly sulfide in a Prius nor any other unconventional metallic additive without some approval

#20 wjtracy, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015