1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone tried a trunk-mounted bike rack?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by RestonVA, Apr 12, 2005.

1. RestonVA

RestonVA New Member

I'm glad to find this forum!! - I'm a new Prius owner (< 24 hours!). My dealer threw in a Yakima roof rack but after experiencing the wind drag and reading the comments on here, I'm leaning toward a Coastal Tech receiver and hitch mount for my bicycles.

My question is, Thule lists two models of trunk rack that allegedly fit the 04-05 Prius. Has anyone here ever used one? Any recommendation? I don't see how a trunk mount could fit without damaging the car but I'd love to hear if anyone has any experience.

I am loving my Prius. And by the way, mileage is at 42.1 MPG, up about 1.5 since I removed the roof rack at lunchtime today. That's all stop and go driving in beautiful congested Loudoun County, VA.

2. Dave Morris

Dave Morris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I would lilke to know what any one else was using sence the roof rake dosen't seem to be a good option.

3. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I purchased the Coastal Tech hitch kit and use one of my two hitch bike racks. The hitch kit from Coastal is pretty easy to install...took me about an hour.

I use one rack for hauling a tandem and the other when it's just road/mountain bikes. There are a number of different hitch compat bike racks out there. You may want to look for one that will swing down so you can open your hatch without removing it.

4. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm looking at the 2" receiver hitch...

How did your installation go? How is it on the car (any rattles, bumps, etc?)

I thought I remembered reading something about needing to bend the tail pipe up or out of the way?

Or may be I was dreaming... I didn't manage to find the thread searching on priuschat.

Thanks for your help!

5. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The installation took about an hour (could be done in 30 minutes if you had a lift). It's pretty easy...if you do it by yourself get something to hold the hitch up while you start to attach it (holding it and using a socket at the same time may be a bit tricky).

Thus far haven't had a single problem with it. I will probably crawl under the car just to check all the bolts and make sure they've stayed tight...although I haven't heard or seen anything to make me think they didn't.

Ken

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RestonVA\";p=\"80707)</div>
    Then you obviously haven't seen these photos...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the full-size versions of those photos are available here... http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-album76.htm

7. Pest

Pest New Member

John,

Are you able to open the back while that is installed?

How much weight does it put on the back glass?

Also, it looks like you can't run the read wiper, correct?

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    > Are you able to open the back while that is installed?

Opening the hatch with the rack is impossible... and quite unnecessary, since you have access to the back (even with the shade extended) by just lowering a seat.

> How much weight does it put on the back glass?

Almost all the weight is on the vertical legs touching the bumper. The upper ones are really just for balance.

I suspect you could actually put quite a bit of weight on it. I used to put all 4 legs of a trunk-mount rack on a sheet of wood touching nothing but glass on the back of my Dodge Omni's hatch. In fact, I even have a photo (somewhere) of that ridiculous setup along with a bike hanging off a rack on the front of the car all at the same time.

> it looks like you can't run the read wiper, correct?

The wiper cannot be used with the rack attached. But since virtually all of my bike trips are on sunny days with virtually no chance of rain, that is hardly a concern.

9. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am hoping to plug my "Yakima Supreme GetAway Plus Two" bike rack (a hitch-mounted 4 bike carrier) right into the 2-inch Coastal Tech Receiver Hitch.

But, the Yakima's manual says: "Warning: GTW 3600. To carry four bikes your 2" hitch must have a gross towing weight of 3,600 pounds or more."

Nothing about tongue weight.

So, does my 2004 Prius have a GTW of 3,600 pounds or more? All I can find in the manual are recommendations against trailer towing... Found nothing online.

Thanks again!

10. Isabelle

Isabelle New Member

I have the Thule bike rack that lists the Prius 04 as compatible in the manual, but I haven't tried it yet (I used it with Isabelle's predecessor,
    a 96 Caravan).

I'll dig it out and relay the setup for the Prius soon.

John's doesn't look like a Thule...or at least the stock one.

11. rminch

rminch New Member

I thought about a trunk-mounted rack, but not for very long. I ended up with a CoastalETech 2" receiver hitch and a Yakima KingPin2 rack (there is a 4-bike version also, I think) and I couldn't be happier. The rack and attached bikes are very stable, the fastening system for the bikes is quick and easy, and the best part is that the rear hatch still opens and clears the rack without even using the fold-down feature. It's the best bike rack arrangement I've ever had.

I should note that to lock the rack to the car and bikes to the rack takes optional components that I haven't purchased and can't comment on.

One other thing--there's a ski adapter that I plan to get next fall.

12. grijzen

grijzen Junior Member

http://priuschat.com/forums/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif
    Oh yes !
    I am from Belgium and i use reciever hitch from de manufacter "Brinks".it is only made for Toyota( Prius)Holland.On this i put a bike carrier made by Twinny load and you can look at the picters here.You can still acces in the rear of the car.In winther i put a ski tool on it.
    Sorry for my bad Englisch.
    Fred.

13. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a\";p=\"83181)</div>
    Truly amazing coincidence! Just this past Tuesday I fitted my Saris Bones 3 bike rack on my Prius for the first time to take my daughter and her bike to her friend's house. I was VERY concerned with the metal buckles on the back of the spoiler and couldn't figure out any way to set up the VERY adjustable rack so they would not be rubbing on it so I wrapped them in cloth. Then I realized I had never shortened the adjustable bar that was 3" too long at it's minimum (goes between the handle bar post and seat post) I would need to use to get the bike ON the rack. :oops: So I figured out how to get the front tire off and put it in the car with the right rear seat folded.

John, are you not concerned the metal buckles will scrape the paint off the spoiler???

By the way, I was able to open the hatch with the rack on. Not sure I would want to do it with bikes on the rack though.

I wouldn't worry about not being able to run the rear wiper. With bikes on the rack, I doubt you could see much behind the car rain or shine :)

14. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have no doubt that a trunk mount bike rack would work on the Prius. I've had them work on stranger cars (VW Cabriolet for one). They are also significantly less expensive than a hitch/rack combo.

But, if you're going to use the rack more than a few times I'd strongly suggest getting a hitch and rack.

1. If you get the right rack you can open your hatch and get to your other gear.

2. You can lock the bike to the rack and the rack to the hitch.

3. Easier to mount the bikes and secure them.

4. Removing and installing the rack on a hitch takes a few seconds...no straps to worry about tightening

5. Nothing on the hitch racks should ever touch your vehicle (other than the install points for the hitch itself). Trunch/Hatch mounts generally have rubber feet up against glass, paint, bumpers and straps attaching to places as well.

My guess is you're talking about roughly $75 for a decent trunk/hatch mount rack and roughly $200 for the hitch and rack combo.

15. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    It looks like all the weight is supported by the bumper , where it meets the bottom of the hatch. It does appear that the wiper is blocked, but i think you could adjust this to be at the very base of the window, and then the wiper might just clear (we don't want to stap this to the spoiler after all). This also has the added benifit of moving the bikes away from the rear of the car.

16. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ken S\";p=\"83393)</div>
    I think your guess is a bit off.

The Coastal Tech hitch is $149 + S&H. A bike rack to go on it is going to start at about $150

The Saris Bones 3 bike rack is $130+. Granted it is higher than some (Saris also makes $60 racks) but it is VERY versatile in adjustment of the 4 support legs and the bike support arm. No matter what angle you need to use for the upper and lower arms to fit your vehicle, the bike arm can still be properly horizontal. Plus, it puts the weight on the top straps and the bumper rather than catching the license plate indent or relying on a rubber pad shoving against the vertical rear of the car. It is very stable.

17. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Bike Rack for hitch: http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?categor...reid=&pagename=
    $99

Here's one for $50
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?categor...reid=&pagename=

So, yes I'm off, prob 250 if the Coastal is $149 (I thought i paid less, but could be wrong). But you can get the whole combo for under $200 if you price shop for the rack.

For the person that is going to use a rack sporadically there's no reason to buy the hitch and rack...but if you're in a bike club or making regular trips...the extra convenience and security make the hitch method a good deal.

18. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Here's a related question: how about wheel chairs? As I noted in a past post, I gave a friend who has a wheelchair a spin. In order to fit in the hatch, I had to put down the 40 seat so the 'handlebars' would fit. We didn't take her service dog that time, but usually we would. I would rather give him the entire back seat if possible, he is a big lab, so 60% of the back seat would be a bit tight for him.

Any ideas as to how to carry a wheelchair with some sort of rack system, hopefully not too expensive?

19. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Are we talking a a regular wheelchair that folds? I would think there must be some way to attach that to a bike rack, or maybe the cargo rack fitted to the CoastalTech hitch?

20. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I was thinking about a bike rack, but not sure how I would securely place a wheelchair on one. Armrests are usually removable and not a reliable place to 'hang' it.

I could probably get the chair in the hatch if I pop the wheels off for those chairs that have quick off wheels. That's how I was able to transport two wheelchairs with my '92 nissan. No dog at that time.