1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone try hydroedge tires in 205 size.And what fuel milage are you getting

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by kswebb1, Dec 13, 2011.

1. kswebb1

kswebb1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK Has anyone tryed hydro edge tires in 205-65 15 size.I know they arnt the factory size.They would be 1/2 inch wider and .3 higher then stock.If so what gas mileage are you getting???Is that higher or lower then before??

Thanks.Looking for a tire that lasts better then the oem ones with better grip.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd expect about a 2-3 mpg loss with those tires in that size.

If you want a long lived tire with good grip then consider the Continental ContiProcontact with Ecoplus, the Nokian enTYRE, Hankook H727 or Goodyear Fuel Max. These tires are pretty good and the mpg hit will be reduced or negated completely. The hydroedge is a great tire if a bit on the noisy side and they are expensive.

3. kswebb1

kswebb1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the response and advice.Didnt know if the difference in height would make a difference positive or negative.I run about 30,000 miles a year so changing tires every year would be a big hassel.Thats why I was looking for something that has a good treadwear rating.Also living in the climate I do means I need a good all around tire.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The larger diameter won't affect your gear ratio/RPM like it would on a normal car but it may trick the odometer to read low which would give the false impression of reduced economy.

The Hydroedge is a good long lasting tire. In the wider size it would likely be safer too. The choice is yours. I just wanted you to know you will most likely lose some mpg. If that is not a big deal then go for it. Just make sure to report back after they break in. :)

5. kswebb1

kswebb1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    well it will prob be in a couple of months.Gonna put my winter treads on in the next couple of days till the end of feb or sometime in march.

Driving to cleveland every day means winter tires are much safer from mid dec till the weather breaks.