1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone use a Stock wheel and tire as a spare?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Alexma, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Alexma

Alexma Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Has anyone that upgraded their wheels and tires used the stockers as a spare?

How does it fit?

Height or thickness under the "tub", are there issues with the deck sitting flush?

Does the jack and parts still fit under there?

Can the wheel still be screwed down to keep it from moving?

I would love to upgrade my stockers and be able to use one of them as a "full" size spare.

Thanks!

2. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was told when I looked at a 2010, that a full size spare would not fit in the well. For my 2007, Toyota provides straps to secure it in the cargo area, so I know it doesn't fit in the well.

3. Hokeysmoke

Hokeysmoke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Same for the 2010. They provide a bungie cord to tie down the wheel you replace when you use the tiny spare.

4. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bottom line, it does not come close to fitting in the spare storage,..

5. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I was also told by the dealership that the full size tire doesn't fit in the wheel well.

I had a flat in the rear and i was able to fit my 17 inch stockers in the wheel well with it slightly sticking out. What definitely doesn't fit, is the storage tray once you put the full size wheel inside of it.

I would much rather stick the tire in the spare tire wheel well than on top of the floor mat and bungee tie it down.

Robert Holt likes this.
  6. Alexma

Alexma Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks everyone!!!

Doesn't make sense, what if you are on a trip and fully loaded?

Where would you put the flat?

They should have designed the well to at least fit a stock wheel/tire combo.

Oh well, I guess there is always the option of getting a wheel that is size as the spare, but have a narrow full size tire.

So, what I am hearing is that the spare is "shorter" in over all height then a stock tire? And of course not as wide.

Oh how I dislike donut drive slow tires.

7. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You can always just throw in the full size tire and see how it fits. If I had enough time out of the day after I got home from work I'd try it myself but it's usually dark when I get home.

I'm pretty sure that my 17" tire fit in the well and I was able to make it so that I was able to close the cover too. The tray definitely didn't fit in the wheel well with the full sized tire in the well though.